Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

bDang's intro+build/progress thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 01:43 AM
bDang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking bDang's intro+build/progress thread!

What's up, i'm Billy and i'm pretty new to Club Lexus. I've always liked the 2gs, and when looking for a car, I actually was lucky enough to find the car I have now. A 1999 DWP GS300. I got late-October 2012, and have been completely searching and lurking on these forums for tips and advice before approaching my build.

I'm pretty new to the car community and modding scene, but it's been pretty great with all the useful info on CL and with the help of some good friends. The GS has been a GREAT car so far and i am completely in love with it (Don't tell my girlfriend ).

With my first car being a beat up 1989 Mazda MPV van, me being a broke college student, and being new to the car game, I hope to learn a lot more from you guys and continue with my build. Any pointers from you guys would be great too, and without further ado, all the pictures of the current build.

Oct 25th-ish: Got the car, gave it a wash and instantly did the chrome grill DIY.

Nov 5th-ish: Couldn't stand stock height, put in orders for some Megan EZ Coilovers first week of owning the car, and finally received em a couple weeks later.

Nov 15th-ish: Decided to touch up on my headlights, got some bellezza neckpads and JP tsuna&fusa rep (Hope to get authentic ones soon, these are passable, but def not the same quality.)

Jan 15th-ish: Tires were in need of replacement, so decided to just get some cheap new wheels and new tires. Stern ST-8 19x8.5/95 +32/38

I was also able to shave my rears, slightly roll my fronts (rough job) and fit 20mm spacers in the front and 15mm in the rear, which all fits together pretty well, but haven't had time to take any more pictures of how it is currently.

Other installed not-pictured mods:
Pioneer Avic-D1 navigation/stereo double din
01+ OEM Tails
01+ Chrome shifter bezel
01+ sports design cluster bezel
10" Kenwood subwoofer in ported box.
Custom cut hardwood floor trunk (hate/love, but I made it and personally love it so far)
Proper+ Amber/brown shift ****
Kazz grill

There might be a few other small things, but that's generally it so far.

Car has also gone through all the necessary maintenance and is running healthy! (Regular maintenance, along with new starter contacts and new LBJs)
Old 03-08-13, 01:46 AM
bDang
Driver School Candidate

While working on my car, I also love working on my photography. I have a ton of more shots I'd love to share, but as for how my car CURRENTLY looks, until I can get the time to take more recent pictures, here is a mock-up/teaser of how it sits with the new kazz grill.

**Credit goes to my girlfriend for photoshopping my car and creating this vector of it! I've got fullsize wallpaper resolution for it if anyways interested too

Old 03-09-13, 12:57 PM
AMA0627
Rookie

I'll be the first to say, great looking car man! I wish my body was as clean as yours lol, one day... Any future plans for the engine? I like those wheels btw.!
Old 03-09-13, 05:46 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

nice car man. welcome to CL. and your girlfriend did a great job in the vector
Old 03-10-13, 03:08 PM
bDang
Driver School Candidate

@AMA0627
Thanks! I'm glad the car came in good condition, but my bumper and undercarriage of the car is taking a beating lol. The car currently runs really well and has really low miles, so I don't plan on doing any engine work unless its any bolt-ons. Maybe a GTE in the future after i'm satisfied with how the car looks , although i AM really jealous of you having a DWP built GTE GS

@Sevenevez
Thanks! I hope to do a lot more with the car too, and so far clublexus has been awesome help. And yeah, I thought she did a goodjob too, although she thinks otherwise, just wanted to share it with CL. I'm lucky she even supports me modding the car lol.
Old 03-10-13, 07:24 PM
AuburnGS
Driver

Originally Posted by bDang
While working on my car, I also love working on my photography. I have a ton of more shots I'd love to share, but as for how my car CURRENTLY looks, until I can get the time to take more recent pictures, here is a mock-up/teaser of how it sits with the new kazz grill.

**Credit goes to my girlfriend for photoshopping my car and creating this vector of it! I've got fullsize wallpaper resolution for it if anyways interested too

Fullsize resolution please!!!
Old 03-11-13, 10:19 PM
8ll8lack
Pole Position

in the last picture the road looks like its in the 408 area code.
Old 03-13-13, 12:14 AM
elevate
Rookie

Originally Posted by 8ll8lack
in the last picture the road looks like its in the 408 area code.

Evergreen area! hahaha OP, were you the one I ran into on McLaughlin a couple of weeks ago? I gave the driver a peace sign but didn't know if they saw it cus it was night time.
Old 03-13-13, 12:22 AM
bDang
Driver School Candidate

@AuburnGS:
Here's the fullsize link: fullsize

@8ll8lack:
Yeah, this is in San Jose. elevate is right, its the evergreen area. If you ever see me around, feel free to say whats up!

@elevate:
If i remember correctly, you were in a black GS with yellow fogs? I've run into a lot of different GS around there, so correct me if im wrong. I DO remember being given a peace sign later at night though .
If you DO have the black GS with yellow fogs, what kind of bulbs are you running as your fogs? I really liked how the yellow looked.
Old 03-13-13, 12:30 AM
elevate
Rookie

@AuburnGS:
Here's the fullsize link: fullsize

@8ll8lack:
Yeah, this is in San Jose. elevate is right, its the evergreen area. If you ever see me around, feel free to say whats up!

@elevate:
If i remember correctly, you were in a black GS with yellow fogs? I've run into a lot of different GS around there, so correct me if im wrong. I DO remember being given a peace sign later at night though .
If you DO have the black GS with yellow fogs, what kind of bulbs are you running as your fogs? I really liked how the yellow looked.

Yup! That was me haha they were the clear fogs with yellow capsules using 6000k hids. I recently swapped fogs for all clear cus I didn't like the way the yellow looked lmao.
Old 03-13-13, 01:06 PM
bDang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by elevate
Yup! That was me haha they were the clear fogs with yellow capsules using 6000k hids. I recently swapped fogs for all clear cus I didn't like the way the yellow looked lmao.
How do your fogs look now? I've still got halogen fogs, and i am terribly bored of them
I want a really strong yellow, and was going to just get a set of 3k hids for it, but am a little unsure of how to approach this.
Old 03-13-13, 01:43 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How do your fogs look now? I've still got halogen fogs, and i am terribly bored of them
I want a really strong yellow, and was going to just get a set of 3k hids for it, but am a little unsure of how to approach this.
The Putco Jet Yellow Halogen bulbs are a deep yellow. I know sometimes some people have trouble getting a deep enough yellow with a 3K HID kit, so these are a great alternative.
Old 03-13-13, 02:26 PM
AZTurbo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome! Car looks great!
Old 03-13-13, 10:30 PM
elevate
Rookie

The thing with 3000k hid kits are they're usually a hit or miss for the yellow that everyone wants...most of the time its gna be a miss haha. Maybe if you use the 3000k hid with the yellow capsules, it might come out to the color you like haha. Any chance anyone got pictures of that?
Old 03-13-13, 11:13 PM
bDang
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys!
I'll probably try and pick up a set of the putco jet yellow bulbs to be safe and give them a try, unless anyone can link me to a specific 3k hid kit thats recommended. At this point, i think you're right with it being a hit or miss, because camera exposures are going to be catching the color differently.

Can you explain to me the whole "yellow capsules"?

Quick Reply: bDang's intro+build/progress thread!