Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1IS owner vehicles

Another clean Ls1 swap performed by DM! Full build with tons of pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 10:56 PM
ATSMATT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Another clean Ls1 swap performed by DM! Full build with tons of pics

The time has come for me to build another Ls1 powered Is300. I'm honestly kicking myself for selling the last one but in the grand scheme of things this gives me an opportunity to take another look at the wiring and
mechanics of the swap farther developing the parts needed to complete this awesome swap. For now I'm installing a very basic ls1 with a few bolt ons just as I figure most people in this community would. After that I
have plans to build a new engine, transmission and a twin turbo kit. Until then enjoy the build!

I searched a little over 9 months for a very straight clean and best of all bone stock 2002 Is300 Auto

My first order of business was to remove the nasty stick 2002+ dash and replace it with a clean 2001 dash

A difference anyone can see.

Just like last time I chose to do a number of suspension upgrades starting with a set of Kw Variant 3 coil overs.
Looks like I have a set of dedicatedmotorsports.com swap mounts too

I really liked the Hotchkis sway bars last time so I went with em again

Big thanks to Figs engineering for getting me all of my spherical bushings among other suspension parts

Figs RCA spacers

Figs rack bushings. Huge difference!! Everyone should have these

Looking good on some 18x9 ASA's

The time has come to remove the perfectly fine running 2jz powerplant
Old 02-28-13, 10:58 PM
ATSMATT
Rookie

In just a few hours the 2jz was out

So I'm sure you can wire in the ls1 without a wire tuck but I'm a little to OCD for that.
I feel like a good clean wire tuck goes a long way with this swap.

Starting on one side making sure to keep all the vital wires needed to run the Ls1 computer and IS300 gauges.

I always end up with a good pile of trash. Don't be alarmed everything will still work

Took the dirty hoe outside for a good engine bay wash

Now that were all tucked and cleaned up time to find myself a good engine!

I found this gem on craigslist for a great price. Some kid lost control and smacked a rather large curb.
Sounds like it has some goodies inside from my test start.

Taking out the trash

After removal from the donor camaro I decided to do a quick freshin up and see what parts were inside. To my surprise I found
some double valve springs, retainers,roller lifters and a MS3 Cam. Not bad

A little GTR in the back ground reflecting my day job

I'll be running Id1000's

The stock diff bushings are crap so I'm using a revised set of dedicated motorsports bushings

Almost ready to be installed!

More picture will come later. I'm currently waiting on a set of headers to return from jigging
Old 02-28-13, 10:58 PM
ATSMATT
Rookie

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been building 2 1200hp and 3 1500+hp Nissan GTR's from the ground up! Its a very tedious job. In fact it makes this swap look like a piece of cake. On to the fab work!

I started with a couple 3 inch stainless v-bands directly off the dedicatedmotorsports.com headers

Next I made a couple collectors dual threes into single three and a half back out to dual threes. So much fun

Semetry, ground clearance, flow and overall badassness

Coming together nicely.

Matt
Old 03-01-13, 03:12 PM
nickt93
Driver School Candidate

LOVING IT!

As the owner of the last LSX IS300 that Matt built, I can attest to the quality of his work. Seriously sick bizness - the car has proven to be a rock solid and reliable beast.

Looking forward to keeping up with the progress on this one. Twin turbos?!?! Madness!

Last edited by nickt93; 05-02-13 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-01-13, 03:30 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

great pics. always an awesome build. the LS1 fits in the 1IS engine bay so snugly. Nice work on the exhaust piping-wish that i could weld like that. No X-pipe?
Old 03-01-13, 04:36 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

How in the world do you do you get that wiring so flawless? and big question, do you combine the stock 300 ecu with the LS1 ecu? I know you cant explain in great detail seeing that would take hours but kind of a rough idea, I have been wanting a turbo but your LS swap would be incredible as well. also are the parts on your website like the LS1 mounting kit ready for ship or do you build to ship? awesome build again man really.
Old 03-01-13, 04:50 PM
BiggDatty
Driver

Is the 01 dash nearly identical to the 02 dash?
Old 03-01-13, 08:22 PM
ATSMATT
Rookie

Thanks for the kind words Nick! Glad you enjoy the car so much!

No x-pipe this time around. I don't feel like its very beneficial especially after I throw some turbos on it.

One wire at a time my friend. No reason to keep the stock ecu I like my wiring clean and easy to work with. You can literally attach about 7-8 wires and drive the car with an ls1 installed. It takes about 15-20 connections to make everything work properly in the end tho. Most parts are build to order.

The difference in the dashes are color and texture. Its like the difference between a babies *** and a babies doo doo.

Matt
Old 03-02-13, 07:08 AM
2broke2mod
Driver School Candidate

Awesome!!! Looks amazing man. A lot of time and work went into that
Old 04-14-13, 05:56 AM
fnkmachine
Driver School Candidate

Superbad swap and quality work. Are you going manual trans? How would one go about keeping it automatic? Would the shifter location be the same? Would the gated shifter have to be deleted?
Old 05-07-13, 03:50 PM
Chad3488
Driver School Candidate

Matt, Swap looks flawless... I'm doin the same swap but you've got some talent unlike myself.

Thanks again for the parts, and your time explaining a few things for me... If anyone else has questions on this swap or need parts for this swap, Matt's the guy to talk too. I took everyone's advice and bought DM mount kit, DM clutch adaptor, DM hydraulic kit, and also DM driveshaft. In the near future ill be ordering a few more things threw Matt.
Thanks again!
Old 05-07-13, 05:32 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Awesome build! Thanks for sharing the pics
Old 05-07-13, 11:35 PM
htekken
Rookie

wow, amazing work and results so far! i could use a dash swap myself.
Old 06-13-13, 08:35 AM
BoostdIS30
Driver

Love the build I've been looking at doing a LSx swap into my 05 is300 in the near future. I hope that I can pull off a swap of this quality but I doubt it but still guna try. If anyone could help me out with a parts list of what I might need that'd be great. This is an awesome build and I loved the first LSx build.
Old 06-13-13, 11:27 AM
UncleRico
Rookie

Wow thats some really nice welds man. Good job.

Quick Reply: Another clean Ls1 swap performed by DM! Full build with tons of pics