Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

After nearly 2 years at 350rwhp... its time for a change.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-13, 09:11 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

havent spent any time on it. might try this weekend, been busy with school and finals coming up.

may just buy a scooter and deal with it this summer.
Old 05-02-13, 09:33 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

lol, scooters can come in handy.. hopefully you can get it turning on again soon. there is always the gte ecu as a last resort.
Old 05-12-13, 05:08 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

So i found a blown fuse, i ran power to the coils on the same circuit as the aem power and that caused it to pop.

Ran a new wire for them, reset the turbo (it was hanging up at idle and not spinning) and re gapped the plugs.

Still isnt running quite right, breaks up a bit and cuts out.

Also, it doesnt shift out of first gear... i have no idea how to set that up in aem, even with googling it.
Old 05-12-13, 05:51 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Which version AEM?

Try their forum website.
Old 05-12-13, 05:58 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

v1.

The aem forum is LITERALLY useless. There are tons of threads on there that go unanswered. Im seriously just gonna get it tuned to drive and then put a manual trans in it this summer and be done with it.
Old 06-04-13, 02:34 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, I might be done with the car altogether.

Im tired of looking at it doing nothing and not ready to drop another 3k on it to put a tranny in it just to be back where i started, needing another tune.

Think im gonna cut my losses and part it out, or trade it for something else.
Old 06-05-13, 04:53 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't do it Please.

What is the problem with the car?

Pm me if you like.
Old 06-05-13, 05:17 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Let you and Quick try to figure it out. Maybe something you and him can figure it out. We have all been frustrated with these SC's from time to time. Believe me.
Old 06-05-13, 08:17 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From my personal experience when I switched to AEM my satisfaction with the car went downhill dramatically, reliability went out the window and I had so many quirky issues that I could never get resolved. With that said I am not a pro experienced tuner, I am just a car enthusiast that likes to learn and do things myself which most of us are. The support from the people on here is amazing and keeps this platform alive along with supraforums, but trying to get help from the AEM forums and engineers is nonexistent. I found alot of useful help on supraforums regarding tuning but for alot of my issues it was a needle in a haystack witch hunt to detect problems.

I decided to part out because I was knee deep in $$$ in the project with a car that I couldn't reliably drive or enjoy. The PTE turbo seals leaked oil after just a few months, the head started mixing oil and coolant, the car wouldn't cold start if it was below 60 degrees it was problem after problem. I parted out everything, returned the engine to stock components and the car fired 1st try without a single hint of hesitation, rock solid.

I'm convinced now more than ever that the stock Toyota ECU is very good, and will keep your car feeling like the Lexus it is. After I parted out thousands of parts, made my money back, I still had plenty of cool parts to keep the car fun. Now that the car runs, starts, and drives like OEM, I'm excited again to play with it. I'm going to re-turbo the car and switch to a JDM supra ecu soon as well.

I just wanted to share my experience with you and others here. I'm sure the AEM can be setup to run very well but it may take a shop to iron out all the issues and tune to get a OEM like end result as I couldn't make it work.

FWIW, the DSM community / DSMlink forums support was amazing, I could find any issue or problem within seconds as others were discussing methods to resolve it and the creators of DSMlink were actively involved in the smallest forum posts as they were enthusiasts themselves. I miss my talon at times, and the support / community that was offered in that platform but I love the 2JZ and my Lexus. I will not purchase another AEM system after having the issues that I did, I'm looking forward to setting up a comparable piggy back system with the JDM ecu and having a reliable fun fast car again.
Old 06-05-13, 08:30 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ Very nice post .

I went through the samething , spent ridiculous amount of money majority of the crap i learned on my own .

I don't even go on the aem forums, and like you said some of the stuff you must have a tuner set it up.

I am not great with aem on auto trans , but for manual trans i got base maps and tunes for days.

Look how many times i say screw this, I'm done...and back here with you guys again.
Old 06-05-13, 08:34 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

lookevo when you are ready to put the 2jzgte ecu on there let me know, you pretty much just need the ecu, map sensor, coils, and ignitor. if you sell the aem and the coils you have you could prob get all that stuff and put alot towards the trans swap let me know.
Old 06-05-13, 10:17 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, if i dont end up selling or trading the car, ill likely do it. I just need to get my **** together. wife is getting tired of driving me around
Old 06-05-13, 12:51 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

lookEVO, don't give up. You've done too much hard work. If anything, just do as, Ali, said...sell the AEM and get a reliable stock setup with the GTE ecu. I dont know your day to day situation, BUT, if you can afford to keep the car and have it down for the time it takes to get a GTE ecu, map sensor, COP and ignitor then that is the route I recommend to you. Goodluck!

edit: I can only imagine how having a wife might make the stress and frustration exponentially worse...but hang tuff, sir. I'm sure everything will work out in your favor.
Old 06-05-13, 01:07 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPSI
I'm convinced now more than ever that the stock Toyota ECU is very good, and will keep your car feeling like the Lexus it is.

I'm sure the AEM can be setup to run very well but it may take a shop to iron out all the issues and tune to get a OEM like end result as I couldn't make it work.
+1 ...... If you are using the car within the range of stock power , nothing is better than the OEM ECU . The manufacturers spend a lot of time and money on tuning , testing and R&D to satisfy drivability issues in different conditions aside from the government requirements like emissions and others. The only thing is , it is limited to the amount of power the OEM ECU was tuned and designed for.

A lot of people are using AEM or any other aftermarket ECU with their DD car , but as you have mentioned , it has to be really tuned well or you will not enjoy using the car. But again that entails a lot of things , time and money are number one if you need to get someone to tune it well for you to take care of power, fuel economy , cold and warm starts and all the other conditions presented .
Old 06-05-13, 03:38 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah it doesn't take that long to put it on the car, you can always go back to aem later on but once you have a working daily you may not feel like going back. I forgot which tps you have you will need to run the toyota tps and put some 440's or 550's in and make more power, with a piggyback you can prob do 660's without much trouble.

Quick Reply: After nearly 2 years at 350rwhp... its time for a change.