Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

Pete's GS400 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-13, 01:00 PM
bDang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, thanks! I'll probably pick one of these orbitals up and start giving it a try soon. Whats the procedure you go with? Primer, base, and clear, but only wet sand the clear coat?

How'd you replace the mesh on your speakers? Mine are starting to tear
Old 03-14-13, 03:25 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

umm, well, if the spray comes out solid and clean for all your passes (spray cans suck compared to a real HVLP auto paint sprayer). anyways...But you can get great results in your garage with cans if you just take time and pay attention to details. like i was saying, if you inspect your sprays (whether primer,base or clear) and it was all smooth there is no need to sand. yes i always wet sand clear knowing the orbital is going to turn it into glass at the end . Sometimes i dry sand on primer if i am trying to get a smooth spot. But the wetsanding is kinda like seeing what a perfect gloss looks like while you are sanding on something with the wetness flowing. .i have a huge 220v compressor i keep at my buddies house when we actually paint a car with real paint and what not. But i am too impatient and cheap to do all that for just pieces i am adding to the car in my garage

As far as the speaker mesh, when i got the car it was missing on my speaker. I ended up finding the material balled up in the doorsill. So i just carefully wedged the surrounding edges in witha screwdriver and she's good
Old 03-15-13, 10:46 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

I almost got stuck in an intersection the other day. not to mention we had to park far away from our spot because i couldn't get in any of the parking lots.

so i raised the front up 5/8's and the rear about an 1/8th. That made a big difference. Now i rarely hear the common shock tower slam

Old 03-18-13, 09:02 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

it's Tail Light Time.
So, i like the LED's i copped on eBay much better than the factory Tails. But they still are too plain looking. Big Red Light with a Big White Block on the bottom. I didn't just want to tint them. Wanted a little more style on them. Always been fond of R33 Skyline Tails. So a little bit of that influenced the way i did them.

Before:

Let's begin

All ya gotta do is ruff it up a little because the surface is so smooth to begin with.
Red 3M Scuff Pad

I use Airbrush mask because it is somewhat transparent, in huge sheets, and its edges are very crisp.

Shape idea i photoshopped in my head

I am not a fan of the Store Bought Tint Spray. It doesn't spray clean, it's very clumpy and has a color to it. So i sprayed it with Black Onyx from pretty far away to lay it light. Also i went a little darker on the inners because they shined brighter than the outers when the lights were idle.

That's only one coat of clear

Back on the Car. Much better

Backside

I had to run and get more Clear and Beer. Still need to lay 2 more coats of clear and wetsand and Orbital them to get em perfect. Not bad for another day in the garage though

Last edited by Sevenevez; 03-18-13 at 10:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-19-13, 06:05 AM
ksultan78
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks dope... keep it up man. This car is looking real nice.
Old 03-19-13, 08:33 AM
Sevenevez
Racer

Originally Posted by ksultan78
looks dope... keep it up man. This car is looking real nice.
thanks man, i appreciate it
Old 03-19-13, 09:46 AM
x83slider
Driver School Candidate

that really updates the look of hte tail lights. Very tasteful mod
Old 03-19-13, 10:30 AM
Sevenevez
Racer

Originally Posted by x83slider
that really updates the look of hte tail lights. Very tasteful mod
thanks, i appreciate it
Old 03-21-13, 04:25 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

finally got around to finish up the shine on the tails

2000 wetsand

Polish - Griot Orbital

Old 03-21-13, 06:55 PM
Advil4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn bro looking very nice I wish I had garage buddy like you haha
Old 03-22-13, 01:47 PM
mzurbano
Driver School Candidate

Geez, uber jealous of your build so far. Love seeing black gs3's and getting ideas for mine. Keep it up!
Old 03-22-13, 04:52 PM
Advil4u
Lead Lap

hey pete what did you use to stick the jp spoiler on also what did you do to align it .....eye balled it to ur stisfaction?
Old 03-22-13, 11:27 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Originally Posted by mzurbano
Geez, uber jealous of your build so far. Love seeing black gs3's and getting ideas for mine. Keep it up!
glad you're checkin it out. i try to give back as much DIY as i can because this forum helped me through a lot when i had just got my GS4

Originally Posted by Advil4u
Damn bro looking very nice I wish I had garage buddy like you haha. hey pete what did you use to stick the jp spoiler on also what did you do to align it .....eye balled it to ur stisfaction?
i wish i had a garage buddy to help me more too! haha, as far as the spoiler. yeah, i just kinda eyeball it. seemed a little odd at first, and i ended up giving mine just a little more of a tilt up. i see some of these jp style spoiler and some seem kinda flat just sticking out.

I use 3M Extreme tape. The black and red stuff. Same stuff i think the shops use for ground effects etc.. And right before i made the final press, i ran my heat gun across the paint and the tape to get it hot to get a real sticky solid seal. but, if you give it a quick UFC uppercut it may just let loose on ya
Old 03-23-13, 02:48 PM
Advil4u
Lead Lap

Ufc uppercut lol I stopped by the shop again as they said it would be ready but its not btw they said it be best to bolt it down and cover the holes then repaint everything
Old 03-23-13, 03:51 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Advil4u
Ufc uppercut lol I stopped by the shop again as they said it would be ready but its not btw they said it be best to bolt it down and cover the holes then repaint everything
I wouldn't bolt it down. I have used the quarter inch 3m tape in the past but it would come apart after washing the car a lot. Also heat and cold weather cycles would make it come loose. I have a polyurethane version so i think it was too heavy for the tape. Well i decided to make it more permanent. I used the 3m tape (06386) but also used the adhesive that bmw uses for their spoilers (betalink k1). It's expensive adhesive but it's not going anywhere now.

Quick Reply: Pete's GS400 Build Thread