Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1GS owner vehicles

Luxury Performance: JZS161 motor & JZZ30 R154 5 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 09:04 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Haven't updated since summer, I've gotten my new front tires on and front realigned.

Car was raised up a little in the front, and slightly smaller tires put on.. Personally I liked the look more before. Seems like I need to lower the car to make up for the gap. But Toyota did this when I brought it in for the alignment and tires. They hooked it up on the price too!

Had an issue with my power steering pump having bolts come loose and separating. Tightened them up and it didn't seem to harm the rack or pump.

Pretty much been working, spending time with the gf and going to school.. The car has been on the back burner but has been reliable thus far.

Issues I need to address coming up into December include either replacing or re-adjusting the TB sensors and getting the car to learn its **** again. It wont idle except for when I first start it in cold weather.

I also tried jumping the pins in my obd-2 port to get the CEL light to come on to re-cycle the throttle body but couldn't seem to get that to work. And I haven't wanted to pull up my carpet to get it at the ecu.

Really want an LSD in the car.. It would help tremendously. And I really have been refusing to weld the rear end up because i do daily drive it. I also would love to go with a nice single turbo setup but that's for when I have a better job!
Old 11-11-15, 09:16 PM
xHyaku
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Enjoyed the build, keep it up!
Old 07-05-16, 07:51 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Almost a year later, still dead reliable and daily driven.
Old 11-19-16, 08:08 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Little bit of updates.. Been daily this car hard for the past few years.. I seriously am in love with it. I really yern for a LSD. but in the mean time, I bought an SPA cast t4 manifold from brazil with a vband, and have been eyeing a borg warner SXE turbo. Not sure if I'm going to stay small like a 62 or go larger with a 66 or 69. In the meantime, I got a screw in my rear tire, sad day for my pirelli p-zeros. Thankfully they were pretty low on tread life after 20 ish months of driving with my aggressive self. I dont have a ton of cash so I was hoping to find another deal and I did, picked up a set of 275/35/18 pirelli p-zeros. Not quite as aggressive as I had before in the back but I got these for 99/each brand new... Also picked up a new set of tools so I can work easier from my garage instead of heading to the shop. Hoping I can take apart and replace a couple of the hoses on the twin turbo system and have my new blow off valve welded on.
Old 11-20-16, 05:15 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome glad to see your car is doing well!!! I wa just reading through your build thread because I think it's time to do the VVTI Turbo swap. I was going to go non-VVTI but all I can find locally are the VVTI motors and like you mentioned before they are about $1000 cheaper. I may be sending you lots of messages with lots of questions.

$99 for a Pirelli is an amazing deal!!! Where did you find them for that price?
Old 11-20-16, 01:44 PM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Little bit of updates.. Been daily this car hard for the past few years.. I seriously am in love with it. I really yern for a LSD. but in the mean time, I bought an SPA cast t4 manifold from brazil with a vband, and have been eyeing a borg warner SXE turbo. Not sure if I'm going to stay small like a 62 or go larger with a 66 or 69.
I've been considering the Precision GEN2 PT6062.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...-turbo-PTE6062

There's actually an amazing amount of controversy between turbo brands and manufacturers especially Garrett and Precision. This site really rips on Precision:
http://www.turbodirect.co.za/site/in...d=26&Itemid=20

I'm not taking sides with either, but the Borg Warner S300SXE 8376 (62mm) is very compareable to the price of the Grecision GEN2 PT6062. Precision doesn't actually release compressor flow maps as they cost $100,000-400,000 each and there isn't a lot of dyno sheets available for the Borg Warner SXE turbos. So i'm not sure how to really compare them. Neither of them seem to be quite at Garrett's level or price either. The biggest difference I can tell right off the bat is that the Precision turbo has ball bearings and the Borg Warner uses journal bearings.
Old 11-23-16, 09:38 PM
joewitafro
Racer

The gen 2 is a 1700 dollar turbo though, and thats not really comparable in price to a 900 dollar turbo, in fact almost twice the price. The new SX-E lineup is pretty badass, 360 degree thrust washer and billet wheel stock, along with a redesigned housing and new exhaust wheel for the performance line, whereas the older borg turbos used exhaust wheels from existing lineups, the new turbos are more efficient and spool better, but still nothing like a EFR. I just think its the perfect price point for me, and in terms of reliability borg has taken 40+ psi on their turbos and it has taken big diesel trucks to break the S300 shafts, which borg reccomends if you're going for 1k hp + then go S400 no matter.

Spool is about 500 rpm difference. Does that really need an extra 800 dollars for a turbo from precision? Which has less reliability..

Also, I picked up the pirelli's on tirerack. They have occasional closeouts on tires that are in their warehouse which is considered old stock when new lineups come in and they flush them cheap. Last three sets of pirelli's ive gotten for 99/each rather than 250 or 550 each for the tires I was getting. Had them put on, definitely wish I had found 45 series tires cause my car doesn't have that aggressive stance any more. But its okay I just needed this to work for my daily for now.
Old 11-23-16, 10:50 PM
Mandrake
Pole Position

I can totally understand that about just trying to get to work. Those Pirelli tires sound like an awesome deal and I'd take those any day. I didn't realize that Borg Warner was almost half the price either. Once again, an awesome value. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not road racing, rally racing etc.So 500 RPM spool difference doesn't matter to me either. Great insight there.
Old 02-23-17, 11:51 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Haven't posted any updates but that doesn't mean I don't think of my car every day!

Some new. Been daily the car for three years now and I love it. I want more. This really starts out going toward my biggest goals with the car, a single turbo and limited slip differential.

So I picked up an SPA brazilian cast manifold with 44mm v-band on it, turns out this flange fits sloppy with my next part so this has to be cut off and re-welded. The next part is a 46mm precision wastegate, I was struggling a bit trying to determine if I wanted to go with the tial MV-R 44 but I decided to go with the non water cooled option so I can make my setup easy. Especially because my next part doesn't need the water. I'm ordering a borg warner S362, but the new SX-E version with billet ETT wheel and 360 degree thrust bearing. I'm going after a 3" v-band version which is machined down from the 4.21" marmon flange, and having a 90 degree aluminum elbow welded to the compressor housing to make it so I wont have any 90 degree couplers in my setup. No water on this turbo just oil so I will be able to block off my waterneck ports and have the rear water feed line routed to the waterpump.

Picked up a synapse blow off valve because I want to be able to recirculate the air while I am still on stock ecu. I plan on running this setup with 10-15 pounds of boost with stock injectors and ecu for a while. This will allow me to save up for a baller clutch, injectors, standalone and other parts to go with that.

Picking up my down pipe from dift motion and I will adapt it how I need, drain and feed kit is coming from boost lab because of their billet extended drain. I need to keep the MAF so I will be getting a 4"-3" reducer off my turbo, I also picked up an AEM 30-4110 wideband. Pretty excited for this! Lastly I picked up a jzs161 v300 differential with 3.769 gears, non LSD which will be so much better than my 4.08's. Also picked up a Kaaz super q LSD. I plan on having the LSD and diff installed before my May vacation and I will do the turbo kit afterwards.
Old 02-24-17, 06:31 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

I didn't know there were watercooled wastegates actually but I suppose it makes sense. I'm curious why you thought the 4.08 wasn't so good. I thought that was preferred.
Old 02-24-17, 11:43 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Yeah the water cooled MVR's are more for road racing applications, but I thought it would be cool to plumb it into my stock water lines but then I realized it would just cost more money and be difficult just to be "cool" essentially. No real use on the street for me.

The 4.08 gearing is pretty great for a lot. It provides tons of increased acceleration for city driving and quarter mile racing, or even drifting. When you are into cruising, highway driving and country roads or "longer" gears, thats when people start considering the 3.92s, 3.769s or even the 3.26's out of GS400's. The 3.13 and 3.26 are perfect gear ratios for a 6-speed transmission, but with my 5 speed R154, it would make my gearing really sluggish and I could cruise at 2800 rpm doing 85 mph. If i was doing top speed runs this is what would choose. Between the 3.92's out of the SC400's and 2nd gen GS300's compared to the 4.08's I have now, I would gain 3 mph at the same rpm. So at 2800 rpm in 5th gear doing 70, i would now be able to do 73 at the same rpm. Not a huge difference, but then again dropping to the 3.769's gives me another 3mph. But with the 5 speed and the 3.769 or 3.73 is in my opinion the best gearing for it. 1st gear becomes a tad more usable, and 2nd, 3rd and 4th pull extremely hard. Also makes 5th gear nice for highway use here when wanting to do 60-70 mph cruising and getting better gas mileage.
Old 03-08-17, 04:10 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Parts arrived, got my Kaaz DAT3020 Super Q, and the V300 3.769 rear end came too.

Went and picked up my parts from Toyota. I figure I shouldn't need to change out pinion bearings or seals so i am just doing the side bearings and seals.

(2) 90301-96003 O Ring
(2) 90311-47008 Oil Seal
(2) 90366-50033 Bearing
00295-01281 F.I.P.G

ended up costing me 150 bucks in parts. Going to drop it off tomorrow to have the LSD installed.

Also I ordered my turbo. Ended up going with the Borg SX-E 6268 or 61.44mm S362. Also went with a .88 T4 open housing with a 3" v-band instead of the marmon, and I am having a 2.5" elbow welded on the housing front facing. Excited!
Old 03-08-17, 05:20 PM
Mandrake
Pole Position

I'm really confused by your differential choices. Why didn't you get a JZA80 or JZS147 LSD? Doesn't KAAZ make one that will fit your pumpkin?
Old 03-08-17, 06:49 PM
joewitafro
Racer

So the DAT3020 is the one that fits the toyota/lexus 200mm ring gear including JZZ30 soarer, JZS147, JZS161, JZA80 auto. the DAT3010 fits the 6MT 220mm ring gears from the 6 speed supras.

I couldn't really find a 93-98 Supra TT Auto differential for cheap with the 3.769 gearing I want. Looking online, a lot of cars come with the 4.08 gear ratio like the GS300 and SC300. The SC400 uses a 3.92 and the GS400 comes with a 3.26. Pretty much to get an entire pumpkin that would fit directly into my car, and not just the guts I had to find either a Supra Auto TT or a JZS161 TT Auto differential. Both these cars use the same pumpkin with a 3.769 gear ratio.
Old 03-08-17, 07:29 PM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Let me know what you think of that KAAZ differential. I might consider it because it sounds like I have a 200mm 3.769 rear end as a JZS147 TT. As long as that diff isn't jumpy, like skips in parking lots during tight turning etc, I might consider it.

Quick Reply: Luxury Performance: JZS161 motor & JZZ30 R154 5 speed swap