Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

BOOSTED my ego! HeyArms' Supercharger thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 12:06 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default BOOSTED my ego! HeyArms' Supercharger thread

Well guys, took the plunge and boosted my is250. Decided to make an official thread on it. We all know that boosting these cars are "a waste of money" to most and many will say/hate "you shoulda traded for a 350 or F" but if any of you think I would really boost for HP numbers or to be faster than anyone on the street, your logic is flawed. If I actually cared for straight performance I wouldn't be on air suspension and have a heavy audio setup in the trunk haha. I boosted to be in a different league, to drive a boosted car, and to actually have a reason to pop my hood (once it's all made to be "pretty" ). So here's all the info I have to share, with some iPhone pics for now, and *GASP* I WILL PROVIDE BEFORE AND AFTER DYNO RUNS!

Dyno before Supercharger
Before dyno runs were done with fujita intake, PPE headers & HFC's, JoeZ racing exhaust.

Aired up to dyno!

My uncorrected number was 182.9whp, 178whp corrected. Dyno sheets below. NOTE: dyno was done on a dynojet with 4000lb rollers. They say their dyno reads 12-13% less than other dynojets (which use smaller rollers). Take that for what it's worth, but that's what I was told. I will be dynoing on the same dyno later this week for my boosted numbers.

Supercharger Install/Pics
LMS kit w/ new C2 Procharger (~$2300). Here's some pics installed. I'll continually update this thread with more/better pics and info. The pulley size was 2.55" 6 rib for Procharger to give me ~7psi of boost. The used kit I ended up with from the forums was missing a coupler or two and some cutting was needed on an intercooler pipe but overall, pretty simple install. Everything except brake ducts were able to be reinstalled to look like the S/C was oem almost oh and a 3" hole had to be cut behind the passenger headlight to run the piping, no big deal.

Review after a few days
I've driven almost 500 miles with it boosted since Friday, including a small road trip with some "spirited" runs today with a Porsche on the highway. it feels very nice, 60-100mph is very smooth, and cruising at highway speeds seems very easy on the engine now. Fuel economy wise, the 200 miles I took it very easy on the car while it supposedly "relearns" wtf to do with all the extra air, but the dash still read ~30mpg cruising 75mph. So can't complain there.

So here's my thread, I'll help anyway I can for those with questions. As I always like to remind the nay-Sayers... Authentic Body kits are ~$3k, wheels are $2500+, so me spending ~$4k to boost is not so astronomical to say it's "not worth it", but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Enjoy, hate or be jealous!

Nov. 15: PLX DM-6 multigauge for boost and wideband ordered and will installed soon. Dyno runs will be performed shortly after they are installed so i can accurately record min/max AFR's. Also planning on running against a 350 to see where i stack up from different speeds responsibly on closed courses, of course.

Nov. 18: Gauges came in.

Apparently the PLX DM-6 gauge can not be powered from the PLX Boost sensor without an 12v to 8v converter... Its not spelled out on their website easily, so an 8v converter needs to be order now before the boost gauge can be installed. The DM-6 and wideband are wired and ready, just need to get my shop to weld in the O2 sensor this week hopefully. With it being thanksgiving, cant promise myself i'll hit the dyno this week, but soon!

January 15, 2013 - Results finally in!

So below are my dyno charts of my post-boost best run. One is SAE corrected, one is not. Uncorrected is much higher probably because it was about 35degrees out when I dyno'ed today haha

Uncorrected gains - 49.3whp
BOOSTED my ego! HeyArms' Supercharger thread-m0t8h.jpg

Corrected gains - 43.37
BOOSTED my ego! HeyArms' Supercharger thread-socbd.jpg

Again, this was done on a dynojet with 4000lb rollers which is said to produce lowery than normal numbers (my gains would be mostly unaffected, but the max whp would supposedly be higher on a different dyno). Take it with a grain of salt, I'm not here to discuss dynos or pad my stats, these are my gains and there's not much else to do. Meth/water injection is my last performance mod I will do when spring rolls around.

Thanks for looking, hope I help put some mysteries to rest here

Last edited by heyarms; 03-16-15 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Updates
Old 11-11-12, 12:20 PM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

looking forward to the dyno results...
Old 11-11-12, 12:37 PM
Quik208
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jealous! Can't wait to see final numbers.
Old 11-11-12, 12:38 PM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

o wow this is a work of art!
Old 11-11-12, 12:50 PM
GFM IS350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. Any videos?
Old 11-11-12, 12:54 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by badx33
looking forward to the dyno results...
Originally Posted by Quik208
Jealous! Can't wait to see final numbers.
Originally Posted by c-low
o wow this is a work of art!
Originally Posted by GFM IS350
Looks good. Any videos?
Thanks, I'll try to video my dyno run with my dslr so you can hear how it sounds winding up at full throttle. It's pretty awesome
Old 11-11-12, 01:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Congrats HeyArms. Believe me, at this point it's all about being in a different league and stepping it up rather be stuck in a sea of same mods over and over again. I'd have stayed on coils rather than the bags I'm on now for just practicality and keeping the performance there in my 350, but knowing deals and the potential to what my car could be ultimately led to biting the bullet. This is especially true of my BBK (now on the 2nd set of them 0_o) but I did it because its a whole new league like you mentioned and only a select few reach this level. And to those reading this, I don't mean it in a condescending way, but rather inspiration. If it weren't for people like HeyArms or any of the OGs starting in late 2005, or memebers like Dangy, datplayaz, javyLSU, MisterT, SeoulIS, Isuxel, SSFD103 just to name a few, (there are many more but that's just a few off the top of my head - ps sry if I spelled some wrong) pushing the limits to what potential our cars have, most would not be here. That said, it's air suspensions and superchargers, and BBk things that don't have to make sense but push the envelope that really inspire our forums and a new generation on CL. So thank you HeyArms for continuing modding in grand style!

Ps HA, come out to Cali, well do a black and white photo-op! Hah
Old 11-11-12, 02:05 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Well said Hoovey! me and karasha both drove our cars out to the Pursuit III last year and had a great time. We both want to come back for another Pursuit or maybe try to get in on Wekfest SF next year but ship our cars this time, no more 24 hour straight road trips for these cars lol.

EDIT: I'd also like to thank all the boosted, past and current, 2IS'ers that helped make mine possible. Pepos, MikeLlucci, iSuxel, ddquach! Much appreciated guys!!!
Old 11-11-12, 02:19 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Lovin the car even more now !
Old 11-11-12, 02:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by heyarms
Well said Hoovey! me and karasha both drove our cars out to the Pursuit III last year and had a great time. We both want to come back for another Pursuit or maybe try to get in on Wekfest SF next year but ship our cars this time, no more 24 hour straight road trips for these cars lol.

EDIT: I'd also like to thank all the boosted, past and current, 2IS'ers that helped make mine possible. Pepos, MikeLlucci, iSuxel, ddquach! Much appreciated guys!!!
Try for Wekfest SF, SFFD103, JoshIS408 and myself should all be there
Old 11-11-12, 02:50 PM
Likwid XTC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice. Love it. I believe ppl boost the is only to be in a different category. To boost a is250 or 350 and expect a grip of power would raise the eyebrows.
Old 11-11-12, 03:01 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good to be different, love it
Old 11-11-12, 03:10 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Love it

Haters are just jealous
Old 11-11-12, 03:25 PM