Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

BOOSTED my ego! HeyArms' Supercharger thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-12, 05:43 PM
Adam350is
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amazing project. i bet it sounds great and runs smooth. would love to see it when im in Houston (if you are close to there lol).
Old 11-12-12, 08:15 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Heyarms, your car has come a long way. Congrats on your car looking really nice!!! Enjoy your ride and new found power.
Old 11-12-12, 10:02 PM
neweyslex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed... Dare to be different! Love it!
Old 11-12-12, 10:51 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wowwwwwwwwwwww congrats on the kit!

looking forward to video as well
Old 11-13-12, 08:19 AM
WarTiger
Driver School Candidate

Forget the dyne #'s I just want to hear a first hand account of how it feels / sounds / emotions that come over you when you get on it?!
Old 11-13-12, 08:20 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by heyarms
Thanks for your input on tail pipe readings inaccuracy, I would assume so much with it being more open to the atmosphere than further up the exhaust line.

No wideband as of yet because others have been here before, its mostly charted territory. Would i assume my car behaves exactly as others? No. Am i confident enough to assume i can drive conservatively for the time being without major risk? Yes. Do I want to run MAPECU3 to correct inefficiencies? Yes. Would this entail installing a wideband? Yes. Maybe you and others dont agree with the order I am approaching this build, but give it time. My car is one of the most modified cars on the forum, i assure you i wont half-a** the build, and its my first boost project so I have a learning curve, admittedly, but i have talked to nearly all the past and current boosted 2IS'ers before attempting this to instill confidence in what I am doing before following through. I did not blindly go about this.
No offence bro but no matter how confident enought you are about yourself and your engine it is no subtitute for a Wideband. The wide band will give you time to notice your A/F ratios and avoid a major engine failure.
Old 11-13-12, 08:37 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

props for being different
Old 11-13-12, 09:03 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver10
<-------- JELLY but in a good way
Originally Posted by Adam350is
amazing project. i bet it sounds great and runs smooth. would love to see it when im in Houston (if you are close to there lol).
I do live in Houston. Shoot me a PM if youre serious LOL.

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Heyarms, your car has come a long way. Congrats on your car looking really nice!!! Enjoy your ride and new found power.
It sure has! Cant believe i once rode on 19's with no drop or kit... haha

Originally Posted by neweyslex
Subscribed... Dare to be different! Love it!
Originally Posted by dorkacho
wowwwwwwwwwwww congrats on the kit!

looking forward to video as well
Originally Posted by WarTiger
Forget the dyne #'s I just want to hear a first hand account of how it feels / sounds / emotions that come over you when you get on it?!
Feels great, the whole lag from stepping on it till you feel movement is gone, step on it and it goes! Still unsure how it compares to a 350 across the power band, from a start, from a roll, etc but plan on having some fun against my gf's is350 haha. Closed course, of course

Originally Posted by B16da9
No offence bro but no matter how confident enought you are about yourself and your engine it is no subtitute for a Wideband. The wide band will give you time to notice your A/F ratios and avoid a major engine failure.
It's understood i may be perceived as being ignorant for not having a wideband already. I am not beating my car up by any means, and again, I have no reason to believe i am causing any major problems. I did order PLX DM-6 gauges (boost and wideband) so I can make yall happy Not arguing yours and the others who are shocked i have no wideband, even i see it as driving blindly, but again, no one i have talked to has said anything wrong about my setup with my driving style.

Originally Posted by rookieIS
props for being different
Thanks again for everyones comments. Still dying to dyno it but I think I'll wait until my gauges come in so i can log and see my actual AFR and boost under the heavy load of the quick dyno runs. But still, I will provide evidence of the gains i receive from boosting soon
Old 11-13-12, 09:53 AM
boshi
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lookin good! I was going to go boosted myself, but then spent the money on a bike instead D:
Next big purchase I guess haha
Old 11-13-12, 11:20 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Just curious, why did you choose SC over a nitrous? I was looking for more power last year and went to buy nitrous for drag racing. But ended up selling it since I wasn't planning to keep my car any longer. ISx50 can reliable use a 75 shot and a setup cost around $1500 for a fool proof system.
Old 11-13-12, 11:27 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ i want a bike too but parents wouldn't let me
Old 11-13-12, 12:06 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Just curious, why did you choose SC over a nitrous? I was looking for more power last year and went to buy nitrous for drag racing. But ended up selling it since I wasn't planning to keep my car any longer. ISx50 can reliable use a 75 shot and a setup cost around $1500 for a fool proof system.
Simply because I'm not trying to race/auto cross/etc. I'd also rather have continuous added power instead of only when a button is pressed/throttle depressed to a certain point. Supercharger whine and BOV sound good also Yourself and I may be approaching performance from two sides of the fence. I just wanted the show aspect of having a supercharger setup and the additional daily power, from your statement Id assume youre more interested in time slips from a track, but I may be wrong. Both good options though depending on what you want! A friend ran nitrous on his is250 for a while and loved it.
Old 11-14-12, 08:01 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I just wanted to add -

Originally Posted by mikellucci
I spiked 12.1, .2, .3, .4 a few times holding 7psi WOT and always let off the throttle because those numbers on just about any car seem like the line drawn in the sand. From my observations the car does like lean...but lean in my eyes is 12 a/f max. Anything over that knock seemed to follow and the stock ecu would completely freak and pull all power.

I've moved back to 5.5psi on the stock ecu and rarely do I see a 12 a/f...but I also dont get ridiculously rich 10s either. Its a happy median but some type of EM is in order to really get gains from whatever setup anyone is running on this car. Makes me want to try the map ecu but I just dont have the time to play much right now!
^Back in May of this year I posted the following (seems like forever ago)^... I will conclude and say 7psi is safe for the few times you will hit and hold it street driving. Just watch on the dyno and be cautious at first because the stock ecu will have lean spots. Longer term you will be fine on 7psi. Save your $ for the meth/water.
Old 11-14-12, 08:59 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikellucci
I just wanted to add -

^Back in May of this year I posted the following (seems like forever ago)^... I will conclude and say 7psi is safe for the few times you will hit and hold it street driving. Just watch on the dyno and be cautious at first because the stock ecu will have lean spots. Longer term you will be fine on 7psi. Save your $ for the meth/water.
Thanks for reposting this Mike. I dont plan on dyno-ing until i get my gauges on so i can record a more accurate peak AFR and monitor better, but that wont be long, theyll be here Friday. Just need to find someone to install the O2 sensor for the wideband, the rest i can knock out myself.

The new DM-6 PLX gauge looks pretty cool, I'm a sucker for electronic gadgets so they sold me easily. I want to eventually get the Kiwi Wireless addition so i can view all vital signs on my iPhone/iPad, but then also hack my Nav + Phone so i can display my iPhone screen on the nav. That would be pretty sick
Old 11-14-12, 09:00 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

What part of Houston are you in?

Quick Reply: BOOSTED my ego! HeyArms' Supercharger thread