Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

BOOSTED my ego! HeyArms' Supercharger thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-12, 07:58 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

YOU MUST use a wide band O2 sensor/gauge. Tailpipe readings are worthless. I can't believe you have this much invested in time and money and don't even have a wide band O2 gauge installed. If there was a triple facepalm icon I could insert on my phone right now, I would.
Old 11-12-12, 08:12 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, be sure the shop inserts the afr meter correctly into the exhaust. We had problems with our tester 250 reading incredibly high afr's until we realized the nozzle was positioned a little so that it wasnt getting a true reading. Get it way down the exhaust, past that first turn after the rear muffler.

From my experience, the stock ecu will target low 11's in the upper rpms at full throttle

PS. definitely invest in a wideband. I look at mine all the time, to ensure I'm not running on the ragged edge. Weather changes force tuning changes....remember that.
Old 11-12-12, 08:18 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmacks
YOU MUST use a wide band O2 sensor/gauge. Tailpipe readings are worthless. I can't believe you have this much invested in time and money and don't even have a wide band O2 gauge installed. If there was a triple facepalm icon I could insert on my phone right now, I would.
Thanks for your input on tail pipe readings inaccuracy, I would assume so much with it being more open to the atmosphere than further up the exhaust line.

No wideband as of yet because others have been here before, its mostly charted territory. Would i assume my car behaves exactly as others? No. Am i confident enough to assume i can drive conservatively for the time being without major risk? Yes. Do I want to run MAPECU3 to correct inefficiencies? Yes. Would this entail installing a wideband? Yes. Maybe you and others dont agree with the order I am approaching this build, but give it time. My car is one of the most modified cars on the forum, i assure you i wont half-a** the build, and its my first boost project so I have a learning curve, admittedly, but i have talked to nearly all the past and current boosted 2IS'ers before attempting this to instill confidence in what I am doing before following through. I did not blindly go about this.
Old 11-12-12, 08:21 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
Hey, be sure the shop inserts the afr meter correctly into the exhaust. We had problems with our tester 250 reading incredibly high afr's until we realized the nozzle was positioned a little so that it wasnt getting a true reading. Get it way down the exhaust, past that first turn after the rear muffler.

From my experience, the stock ecu will target low 11's in the upper rpms at full throttle

PS. definitely invest in a wideband. I look at mine all the time, to ensure I'm not running on the ragged edge. Weather changes force tuning changes....remember that.
Appreciate it! And thanks for the PM! I will be investing in MAPECU3/wideband soon. I contacted Pepos about his tune on his 250 to try and get pointed in the right direction. PM me if you have any tips where to buy MAPECU3 for <$700 its listed at online.
Old 11-12-12, 09:30 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just because others have done it before doesn't mean that bolting on the same pieces will yield you the same tune.

Your AFR is the single most critical piece of info on a boosted vehicle if you value a motor still in one piece. Being cheesy on a $200 part when you're playing with a $20k-$30k car is ludicrous.

Go now.. look at AEM wide band gauges. Order one.

You want this: http://www.aemelectronics.com/wideband-o2-air-fuel-uego-gauge-kit-745

Last edited by jsmacks; 11-12-12 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-12-12, 12:36 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by heyarms
Appreciate it! And thanks for the PM! I will be investing in MAPECU3/wideband soon. I contacted Pepos about his tune on his 250 to try and get pointed in the right direction. PM me if you have any tips where to buy MAPECU3 for <$700 its listed at online.

Their website is the only place I could find it.
Old 11-12-12, 01:27 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Heyarms i like everything you ve done with the car so far.Pepos is my friend and i tell you the only thing that you cando to this car to make it faster is this.Dont wory about anything.My opinion is to install the meth kit and nothing else.I m thinking it my self but i m not sure yet.BRAVO to you and my friend Elias for making it happen.
Old 11-12-12, 02:43 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PAVGR
Heyarms i like everything you ve done with the car so far.Pepos is my friend and i tell you the only thing that you cando to this car to make it faster is this.Dont wory about anything.My opinion is to install the meth kit and nothing else.I m thinking it my self but i m not sure yet.BRAVO to you and my friend Elias for making it happen.
Thanks a lot man! Elias has been such a help! And I really appreciate his (and your) feedback since y'all have seen firsthand how the car handles boost. There's a lot of speculation (rightfully so, and well thought through as well as it all being relative and very much true) but I prefer to take the boosted guys advise over those who have not in some instances! It's all learning for me, and I'm soaking it all in and will hopefully be able to lead further generations of boosted 2IS's
Old 11-12-12, 04:12 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats, Adam! Dont worry about 7psi, you're educated enough to have done your homework and talk to all the right people. For what infrequent time you'll be spending at 7psi the stock ecu will not lean out enough to cause catastrophic consequences.

I would encourage you to get a simple coolingmist standard meth/water kit prior to your dyno. You will need the IATs as cool as possible with multiple runs..it's going to heat up quickly and stay hot.

Have fun!
Old 11-12-12, 05:00 PM
bboysunone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love what u did o your car. I wanna boost mine but no money.
Old 11-12-12, 05:06 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is MAPECU3? Too long to take a guess.
Old 11-12-12, 05:11 PM
CSMphoto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, only 180hp? Eeek. Stoked to see your numbers with the new SC! Too bad you're not in NJ, I would do a feature on your car :-\
Old 11-12-12, 05:22 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CSMphoto
Dang, only 180hp? Eeek. Stoked to see your numbers with the new SC! Too bad you're not in NJ, I would do a feature on your car :-\
Lol. Yeah. Hooray IS250!? Coming from a '93 4runner... It's fun enough to drive before and after boost I'll slowly step up the speed in life with cars

Just come to Texas to do a feature, I could use more coverage haha
Old 11-12-12, 05:26 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Congrats, Adam! Dont worry about 7psi, you're educated enough to have done your homework and talk to all the right people. For what infrequent time you'll be spending at 7psi the stock ecu will not lean out enough to cause catastrophic consequences.

I would encourage you to get a simple coolingmist standard meth/water kit prior to your dyno. You will need the IATs as cool as possible with multiple runs..it's going to heat up quickly and stay hot.

Have fun!
Thanks Mike! And thanks for answering my questions and all the help this year. I probably won't have a water/meth kit until early next year before it really heats up again, or if I get bored before then. So I may end up with dyno numbers for straight boost at 7psi, with meth/water, and with mapecu3. Well see. Also might wrap a lot of the piping, try to help keep the intake air a little cooler. Sure is fun to drive now tho
Old 11-12-12, 05:29 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

<-------- JELLY but in a good way

Quick Reply: BOOSTED my ego! HeyArms' Supercharger thread