Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

Dengman's '99 LS400 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 09:17 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JustADream
Is that all that was needed to make the mk3 coils fit? these seem to go a lot lower the the actual coilovers megan makes for the ls400.
the shock bodies are the same length on the front, supra vs ls. The rear body for supra is shorter than ls.

Slammed being static is nice and all.. but its not all that great.. If you like to travel. I've been debating about buying another car for traveling or keep the car in winter mode and sell my 18s. and go with a softer spring rate.

I could just sell the car but it gets great MPG for a v8 and its roomy... SOO comfortable.. I slept in the driver seat at a rest stop for 6hrs before..
Old 03-11-13, 07:54 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Picture from road trip.

UIUC campus got stuck in the snow for about a minute

Head light disassembly

Make sure to cut out all the old grey sealant in the housing

Be careful no to get the grey sealant on the chrome housing when prying the lens out of the housing

Clear

Use an exacto knife or utility knife and cut away the grey sealant after it cools off. It will chip away in pieces if its cold and hard.

2000grit to clean up some blemishes. Polish afterwards

Happily driving at night now.

My original head light lenses were cracked and yellow if you look in my previous pictures you can tell. Instead of buying aftermarket head lights I waited several months of ebay shopping to get the right price I wanted to spend on lights that had cracked mounting points but clear un cracked lenses.

$60 right side
$126 leftside
$4 2000grit sand paper
$5 100% silicone
$10 head light polishing and sealant stuff.

$205 total VS aftermarket

Aftermarket hid headlights from what I hear do not self level like OEM. $420 is the cheapest on Ebay

Non HID $331 cheapest on ebay.

I could have bought the non HID and taken them apart for the lenses.
Old 03-11-13, 10:13 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dig the plastic dip. Have you ever thought about retrofitting projectors in your headlights?
Old 03-11-13, 10:15 AM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome man..i see u went thru alot to get where u at now!! Looks good.
I got a few pics up on mine.
Old 03-11-13, 11:16 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

good work on the headlight restore. i find it easier to sand and polish when the headlights are on the car. just mask around the headlights where the buffer can touch the paint to protect.

what prompted you to replace the trans mount? i suppose it's easy to get to and since you were doing the engine mounts anyway.
Old 03-11-13, 12:13 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by akitomk3
Dig the plastic dip. Have you ever thought about retrofitting projectors in your headlights?
Not a big fan of projectors retrofitted. I dont think Id have the patience to figure it all out and have the auto leveling work. Id want it to be perfect with a surround around it and make it look like it came like that.

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
good work on the headlight restore. i find it easier to sand and polish when the headlights are on the car. just mask around the headlights where the buffer can touch the paint to protect.

what prompted you to replace the trans mount? i suppose it's easy to get to and since you were doing the engine mounts anyway.
Yeah it wasnt easy polishing off the car. I some how managed to get my variable speed polisher jammed on a chair and locked it on and polished. LOL.

I changed the trans mount since I bought all three mounts and the car was in the air on a lift. I figured the mount was bad anyways 200k on the original.
Old 03-11-13, 06:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

I hope you threw some clearcoat paint on those lenses after you polished them out. When you sand them or polish them you finish removing the top layer of UV protection along with the oxidized plastic, makes them haze up again MUCH faster if you don't seal them.
Old 03-11-13, 06:58 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
I hope you threw some clearcoat paint on those lenses after you polished them out. When you sand them or polish them you finish removing the top layer of UV protection along with the oxidized plastic, makes them haze up again MUCH faster if you don't seal them.
Originally Posted by dengman
My original head light lenses were cracked and yellow if you look in my previous pictures you can tell. Instead of buying aftermarket head lights I waited several months of ebay shopping to get the right price I wanted to spend on lights that had cracked mounting points but clear un cracked lenses.

$60 right side
$126 leftside
$4 2000grit sand paper
$5 100% silicone
$10 head light polishing and sealant stuff.

$205 total VS aftermarket

Aftermarket hid headlights from what I hear do not self level like OEM. $420 is the cheapest on Ebay

Non HID $331 cheapest on ebay.

I could have bought the non HID and taken them apart for the lenses.
Of course theres different ways to seal
Old 03-11-13, 07:35 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

nice. when i first got my car, the headlight was really dirty from inside the housing since there was a missing cap for the high beam, so i did what you did. opened it up, cleaned the whole housing carefully with several products to get the chrome shining again, and then resealed it back up. looks good as new!
Old 04-14-13, 10:29 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

It's been about month since I've had time to take photos an post.

13mb high res of ^

Last edited by dengman; 04-14-13 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-22-13, 12:06 AM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

car is lookin good man and for some reason those wheels look hella good on it
Old 04-22-13, 10:09 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sevenevez
car is lookin good man and for some reason those wheels look hella good on it
Thanks! I'm trying not to go for the VIP scene look. Which is why I choose these wheels and have a trailer hitch. Not a fan of those fancy interior accessories either. Considering I drive the car alot and take 10hr one way trips alot. 18s seem to be the ideal choice. I might go for 225/45 in front instead of 40s next time around to get a little bit more ground clearance. The amount of space in the car + MPG its unbeatable. I try to talk myself into selling it and buying a different car but the pros and cons list the ls400 always comes out on top.

The day i decide to actually purchase another car for driving distances and possibly daily I'll go with 20s.

Currently daily driving a 06 acura mdx MPG sucks but I barely make it into the family restaurant parking lot with the LS400 and i nailed a possum or racon on the highway going 70mph the other night. Hopefully I didnt do any major damages under the car.

Parts to rebuild my power steering pump came in.
Figs universal RCA's came in today.
Old 04-22-13, 10:49 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

whoa! love that last shot! sorry to hear about hitting an animal on the hwy. just hope it's not still under your car *gulp*.
Old 04-22-13, 11:19 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
whoa! love that last shot! sorry to hear about hitting an animal on the hwy. just hope it's not still under your car *gulp*.
Had a strong hair burn smell after I stopped. Later on that evening I was driving the same stretch of road again. saw what ever it was sitting on the side of the road.. So its for sure not under my car. I'm just afraid of seeing chunks stuck under the car.

No oil leaks so thats a good sign. Hopefully the radiator support or what ever its called for the ls400 isnt bent.
Old 04-22-13, 11:20 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Quick Reply: Dengman's '99 LS400 build thread