Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

8052JZ's NA-T Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 05:36 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SC42
Then it blow either the front seal or the rear seal , its pressure...

We put 2 vents on my friends and it still blew the seals...
that sucks

I know Mark had a vent on his too and had to replace the seal on the tail a couple of times tll he sold it. I heard him telling me , he is getting tired of the oil leaks . And he was only on the low 500rwhp. Same thing with 3 other local guys I know who have R154s and are pushing around 600rwhp.... tail shaft leaks

So I guess these R154s cannot really be pushed hard above +500rwhp.
Old 09-25-14, 08:18 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jwin
You could solve it by venting the r154 better so it doesn't build a lot of pressure when you're at high hp levels cause it to blow by the seals. I'm sure that's the reason why it leaks oil due to case pressure.
Originally Posted by lexforlife
oil coming from shifter area is because of it being slammed to the back of the tranny with that much power and running out over the top

see this product

http://www.driftmotion.com/Beech-Shi...t-p/dm3052.htm
This would work but after doing many many pulls the oil will build up and fill the boot? I might give this a try with venting the trans.

Originally Posted by 99SC42
Then it blow either the front seal or the rear seal , its pressure...

We put 2 vents on my friends and it still blew the seals...
How big were the 2 vents that you installed and where? I was thinking of using like a -8 or -6 line bringing it up into the engine bay with a filter on it. Maybe one closer to the motor and one near the rear of the trans or one -8 in the middle..

Originally Posted by gerrb
that sucks

I know Mark had a vent on his too and had to replace the seal on the tail a couple of times tll he sold it. I heard him telling me , he is getting tired of the oil leaks . And he was only on the low 500rwhp. Same thing with 3 other local guys I know who have R154s and are pushing around 600rwhp.... tail shaft leaks

Well they can be but with out oil leaks...? Guess not

Last edited by 8052JZ; 09-25-14 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-25-14, 09:18 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Looked at the shifter last night and after taking off the boot, the short shifter was barley on there lol seems like the bolts vibrated loose and was barley handing on there. I was wondering why it started to feel a little sloppy.

Anyways, I'm trying the sponge trick that I've read in a few threads. Maybe this will help it some. I also sealed it up using some Toyota red and blue locktight on the bolts holding it all down. Going to work this morning the shifter feels much better now that its bolted down tightly and with the foam in there lol. I will also see if I can add a breather somehow with out taking off the trans but not exactly sure where to do this.

Old 09-25-14, 11:05 AM
Twirl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome build man, I just went through all 48 pages. Looks like a blast. Love the custom sponge. Keep up the good work, I'd love to see this in person one day.
Old 09-25-14, 04:57 PM
PoGikoSc4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default r154 breather

hey 8052JZ,

You wanna give this a try. Look at the shifter housing, highest point of the trans. I will also give it a shot when i get my SC running and see if it works on my r154.
Attached Thumbnails 8052JZ's NA-T Build-r154breather.jpg  
Old 09-26-14, 01:29 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I'm thinking of doing something like that but with a bigger line. Wont hurt I guess.
Old 10-01-14, 08:28 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

So the foam thing seems to be working some what... Not as much is able to leak out. the foams seems to stop it from passing through the shifter. When its time to replace the clutch I'm going to add a a trans breather from summitracing to see if that will help it more.

Here is a video of my car hitting 2step. Finally decided to get a video and I actually didn't know it shoots out flames until it was filmed. lol I was quite surprised.

Old 10-01-14, 10:27 AM
suprakidxx
Driver

Originally Posted by gerrb
that sucks

making 660hp on a r154 here and i have no problems (knock on wood)
Old 10-06-14, 11:42 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think making some kind of baffle to prevent the oil from pushing itself out of the tailshaft seal will probably go a long way in preventing leaks if venting isn't the issue on the r154. Invest in a v160.
Old 10-08-14, 01:51 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by suprakidxx
making 660hp on a r154 here and i have no problems (knock on wood)
Originally Posted by jwin
I think making some kind of baffle to prevent the oil from pushing itself out of the tailshaft seal will probably go a long way in preventing leaks if venting isn't the issue on the r154. Invest in a v160.
After adding the foam to the shifter, no oil leaks anymore... Went on a 45min drive with plenty of messing around on an open highway only to expect oil leaks the next day. Turns out not a single drop of oil the next morning was found on the driveway. So the foam trick looks to have worked for now.

The v160 is just way out of my range for a trans.. Id rather go auto than invest in a v160. My next build i'm starting to do is going to be based on an auto trans. either 4l80e or th400. I like the idea of the 4l80e because of the overdrive and I would probably go with a full manual valve body to avoid all the wiring.
Old 10-30-14, 11:16 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Got bored the other night and went out for drive while filming it.. mostly went out to practice some 60ft launches.

Turbo will be upgraded in a few weeks to a 73mm and changing out the waste gate to a bigger one than getting re-tuned.

Old 10-31-14, 05:34 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like the car tracks pretty straight for the power it's putting down. Other than the TRD LSD and coilovers do you have any other bushing mods? Diff bushings? etc etc...

Are you unhappy with the BW 366? Or just itching for more power?
Old 10-31-14, 08:44 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Looks like the car tracks pretty straight for the power it's putting down. Other than the TRD LSD and coilovers do you have any other bushing mods? Diff bushings? etc etc...

Are you unhappy with the BW 366? Or just itching for more power?
To be honest a little bored with this setup now hahah WANTS MORE! being Daily driven I'm used to the power so now I just want more. This s366 was built up to a 71mm and could be upgraded up to a 73mm. Jim at Apex Performance Turbo's (APX371) is setting these up for me and he his playing around with different wheel setups to see which ones are the most efficient. Going up to a 73mm it will have to be completely gutted with machined parts pressed in, to fit the 73mm wheel.
-Don't get me wrong this setup is def alot of fun but I just want more! Also tired of the 5spd so I have something coming up later on to change that . Not ideal for launching the car, wears the r154 out really quick and it will eventually pop..

Tracks very well and hardly ever spin when dumping the clutch on blacktop. These gixxer drew coils I setup or doing a great job for drag racing and I believe these are great not only for road racing but for daily driving and drag racing. I have solid diff bushing, all BV suspension links and the TC Sportline upper adjustable arms which is set at 0 camber. I paid a good amount to get the suspension dialed in perfectly and its deff doing its job! Very happy. Just WANT MORE POWER
Old 11-05-14, 08:28 AM
Sc375
Driver School Candidate

more power!
Old 01-08-15, 09:06 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATE..

I haven't updated in while but been getting alot of stuff done lately. I basically pulled the 71mm turbo off along with ebay manifold and started to modify with new cxracing manifold to except dual turbosmart 45mm wastegates... Tones of pics..

cut the holes to fit the schedule 40 pipe

playing with how i want them to be routed

Got one gate done..

Than had to make a spacer for the new turbo to fit... this also similates the thickness of a QSV for later down the road.

Started number 2 Gate

In the bay fits perfectly..

And done... I did also weld on the inside of the collector to make sure everying was sealed and as strong as possible.. Ill get a pic of that later..

Than I decided to recirculate the wastegates..

Finished.. Now I am currently Sandblasting all the parts in preparation for ceramic coating which ill be doing myself for the first time.

My homemade sandblasting cabinet I made a few years back..

Few parts that ive already done...

Quick Reply: 8052JZ's NA-T Build