Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

8052JZ's NA-T Build

Old 02-10-15, 05:04 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you figured it out, and we're looking forward to the upcoming vids! Yaaaaaaah!
Old 02-11-15, 07:26 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What size is your oil feed? These cars have alot of oil pressure I think if the drain isn't perfect the cartridge fills up and dumps oil out the turbine wheel seal.
Old 02-11-15, 09:03 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPSI
What size is your oil feed? These cars have alot of oil pressure I think if the drain isn't perfect the cartridge fills up and dumps oil out the turbine wheel seal.
For the size of this turbo it required a -4 feed. The new return setup seems to be working great. Not having any issues anymore.

The hole on the previous flange was just small and probably restrictive and backing up the oil like you mentioned and went through the oil seal on the turbo.
Old 02-11-15, 09:09 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

I also finally got the new quality heim joints for the TC Sportline UCA sense they are known to fail. Took the local bearing shop about 3 weeks to track down this specific size so it was all plug an play. I come to find out that these same bearings are used on the marks engineering control arms so I'm confident these are of good quality American made hiem joints.
For anyone that is interested in the size for the front are M16 x 1.5 heim joint/rod end bearing.

Unfortunately, I thought both the rear and fronts are the same and turns out the rears are different so I will have to source out whatever the size is for the rear. Looks to be a standard thread size for the rear

Old 03-18-15, 08:53 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

I need some help from who may know whats going on!!

I'm finally driving the car after the turbo manifold upgrade with twin turbosmart 45 wastegates and new turbo but for what ever reason I am not able to boost past 12psi?!?!?! I put it to the floor I can hear the turbo start spooling, I'm watching the boost gauge and she will simply not go any higher than 12psi? The two gates have 14psi springs in them, I tripple checked vac lines from boost controller to gates, looked for any possibly exhaust leaks which I couldn't find and still not able to get past 12psi?!?!?!? Shouldn't I at least being seeing 14psi being that is what the gate spring rates are??

I did a few logs on the aem and it's indeed showing only 12psi with about %60-%70 throttle. I sent off the info to the tuner and he says the tune looks fine?!?!

Anyone ever run into this problem or have any idea of what I should check?
Old 03-18-15, 09:24 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the boost controller is wide open and your running off spring pressure. Are you certain the boost controller is duty cycling? Is it a twin scroll with the gates being separated? Maybe one gate is still opening fully at spring pressure.

You could boost leak test the car with the ignition on and see if the boost solenoid opens and shuts after 12psi to verify that it's working. Or pull the vacuum lines off the gates and see if you can achieve over 12psi then shut it down. Then you can rule out any leaks around the gates and manifold and it's definitely a boost control issue.
Old 03-18-15, 09:37 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Sounds like the boost controller is wide open and your running off spring pressure. Are you certain the boost controller is duty cycling? Is it a twin scroll with the gates being separated? Maybe one gate is still opening fully at spring pressure.

You could boost leak test the car with the ignition on and see if the boost solenoid opens and shuts after 12psi to verify that it's working. Or pull the vacuum lines off the gates and see if you can achieve over 12psi then shut it down. Then you can rule out any leaks around the gates and manifold and it's definitely a boost control issue.
I am not 100% sure the boost controller is duty cycling. I couldn't figure out how to add that setting to the log. I can have someone watch it in the boost advanced tap in AEM while I drive. The Manifold is an open scroll manifold that I modified to have dual gates. I sure hope the manifold isn't leaking!

I will pull the lines off the gates and see what happens. How do I go about doing the boost leak test?

Last edited by 8052JZ; 03-18-15 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-18-15, 11:31 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah it seems like you are running of the wastegate Spring, It sounds normal to me.. How are you lines routed to the WG?
Old 03-18-15, 02:23 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

This is how I currently have the vac lines routed. Can the boost controller be dead? Is there a way to test it?

Old 03-19-15, 07:58 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

I did a boost leak down test last night and turns out I had a pretty good size leak. Coupler from the turbo to intercooler had the leak so I tightened the clamp and the leak stopped. This morning I was able to hit 14psi alot quicker than before but dint have enough room to go any further. Ill have to do a better pull later today to confirm that this was indeed my problem.

I made this contraption to do the test for around $30.

Old 03-19-15, 08:03 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would try a new Valve and see or you can bypass the valve and run it from the wg spring and see what it does.
Old 03-20-15, 09:01 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Did a few pulls after work yesterday and still not able to go past 14psi per the logs. On my way to work I did see the boost guage hit 17psi but after that it would stay at 14psi. Talked with Omar, and he suggests I get a new boost solenoid to see if the valve is gone. Ordering one today. Tune in later..

Last edited by 8052JZ; 03-20-15 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-20-15, 10:12 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

What psi...wastegate springs do you have installed.....

If they are both 14psi springs in the wastegates......you know something is up tru boost valve...

Have you tried running it straight off the wastegates?
Old 03-20-15, 03:33 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Yes both gates are 14psi and I have not run them off the spring yet. I am too starting to believe that the boost solenoid failed or the diaphragm in the gates are leaking as Omar mentioned to me. Its a little hard to believe that the solenoid failed from just sitting for a few months while I've been upgrading all the turbo related stuff. no wiring was touched nor the solenoid. But who knows anything could happen.

Next thing I'm going to try is take the vac line off the turbo and pressurize that system to see if there are any leaks from the gates, lines or solenoid. If those are all good than it has to be that valve. I did order a new one which should be here sometime next week. If all those check out than something is up with the tune. :/
Old 03-20-15, 04:45 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 8052JZ
Yes both gates are 14psi and I have not run them off the spring yet. I am too starting to believe that the boost solenoid failed or the diaphragm in the gates are leaking as Omar mentioned to me. Its a little hard to believe that the solenoid failed from just sitting for a few months while I've been upgrading all the turbo related stuff. no wiring was touched nor the solenoid. But who knows anything could happen.

Next thing I'm going to try is take the vac line off the turbo and pressurize that system to see if there are any leaks from the gates, lines or solenoid. If those are all good than it has to be that valve. I did order a new one which should be here sometime next week. If all those check out than something is up with the tune. :/
Yep....makes sense then why you are not getting past 14psi....seems like to me solenoid is not working...i.e not allowing your wastegates to stay closed longer....

I run my car straight off the wastegate spring.....Never had any issues with it at all.....just makes it a pain to change out the springs to run more boost....

I am also running my vacuum source from the intake manifold not the turbo.....I feel that it is more accurate of what the car is gonna see....you do get a little drop off in maybe 1 psi from turbo through intercooler and into intake manifold....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 8052JZ's NA-T Build