Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation > Build Threads
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Sleekbrian's High School/College Build on a Budget

Old 10-03-12, 02:18 AM   #1
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)

Default Sleekbrian's High School/College Build on a Budget

I've been a member on this forum for a few years now but never felt like my car was ready for a thread. Now that my modding is finally coming to an end, I thought I would share my progress and story. Being a student I took shortcuts whenever I could. Examples such as: M2 Exhaust, ISF replica grille, Megan EZ coilovers, AVS visors, Carbon fiber interior overlay etc... My goal was to incorporate cheaper parts but not make the car look cheap in the process.

I got this car the day before my 17th birthday as a birthday gift from my parents. What a great gift i know A 2006 IS250 AWD with 30k miles black/black. I had no idea about or interest in modding cars and just wanted tints. I searched on google to see some pics of ISx50 with tints and found my way to Club Lexus. I spend hours looking at all the modified cars. Then it all began...

My wants progressed to just wanting black wheels, tints, and a front lip (typical noob highschooler.) I can't believe I use to like how it looked The car stayed like this throughout my Junior Year of High School.
Click the image to open in full size.

As time went on I learned a thing or two and my taste became a bit more refined. I bought coilovers, wheels, and a bunch of other small parts. This is how my car looked as I graduated high school and entered college.

While in college I kept craving change and went through 2 sets of wheels. One of which never were installed on my car due to pickiness. A few other small things were changed such as ISF style grille, LED turn signals, carbon fiber interior overlay and such. Here is a pic of my car a few weeks ago.

I didn't like riding on 19's with NY/NJ roads because I was always so paranoid. So I recently sold the set and bought a set of 18s again. This will be my cheapest set of wheels I ever bought and most likely my last mod as I feel like I've had my fun and want to save up money for my next car.

My parents have hated the idea of modding since the beginning and think I'm ruining the car. I've funded all my mods, and looking back I wish i haven't spent money at times I did lol. I worked a lot back in high school and almost all of my money went towards car parts/labor But in the end I had a ton of fun modding my car and watching it grow. It really became a hobby for me. Currently the car is at 70k miles and I'm in my third out of six years of pharmacy school. I'll be driving it until I graduate in 2016 but don't plan to change much. I'm still gonna be active and I'll be sure to update the thread with my new wheels once they arrive. Just wanted to say thanks for all the information and help over the past few years
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Mod List-Polished Linea Corse Dyna l Megan EZ Coilovers l Roof+Trunk Spoiler l GFX Front Lip +Rear Lip l ISF Style Grille l Carbon Fiber Overlay l 6000k HID Low Beam l Putco Jet Yellow Fog Lights I Black Headlight Housing l M2 Exhaust l Top Fuel Intake l LED Turn Signals l AVS Visors
sleekbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 02:33 AM   #2
sleepy415
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (8)

Wow you one lucky SOB what a generous gift from your parents. Car looks great!
sleepy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 05:50 AM   #3
iRyan
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (7)

ryan.determined iRyan_lexusboys theryanreeves iRyan_3

Not bad for a high schooler lol a lot of wish we got that gift.....

'14 SLM F-Sport #LexusBoys |Vossen VFS1
Instagram: iRyan_3
Club Instagram: LexusBoys

My Current build: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/buil...ort-build.html
My Old Build:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...ini-build.html
Vossen PhotoShoot: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/club...oto-shoot.html
iRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 06:51 AM   #4
bob4256
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (16)

bob4256

Damn ballin on a budget lol. My parents got me my IS during my first year of college so I can relate to you.

My car looked similar to yours at the beginning in regards to cheaper parts and liking way it the way it was. Now looking back I ask myself "How in the world did I think that looked good?" lol

Although I spent quite a bit of money on things that were not worthwhile, it helped me learn the concept of doing it once and doing it right, even though I learned the hard way

My Build Thread
bob4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 07:08 AM   #5
mj250
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Coming from another college kid. I feel your money pain. I want to do so much but its just not there. Living in PA roads SUCK! I bought my car so my parents cant really say anything about me modding it out, but they certainly dont support it. My pops is a mechanic so he appreciates cars just like I do, but he dosent understand the "new generation" mods, LED conversions, springs/ coils, wheels, front lip, etc. He's used to a simple engine swap maybe a new carburetor or some stiffer leaf-springs, old stuff. Keep on modding and have fun with it, its an expression and extension of your self, I'm sure you already know that. You IS has come a LONG way and it looks awesome, not over done at all.
mj250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 09:42 AM   #6
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (28)

I applaud you for making the best out of what you had.

To be honest the car didnt look horrible with black wheels/front lip, but your most recent set up is definitely the best. Visiting Alpine New Jersey/NY in May NOW I understand why people from the tri-state area are always complaining about the roads. WTFFFFF.... those were the worst roads Ive ever seen. I would never touch my suspension if I lived up there so your brave. I thank for Florida roads every day now

You also helped me out a lot when I was deciding on my Carbon Fiber interior and I thank you for that again. Cant wait to see your new wheels man!

State of Stance Feature

#LEXUSBOYS
TLN #Φ... because that's how the 5% rolls.
VOLK GT-V/WORK GNOSIS GS3/F-Sport's/ENKEi NT-03/CONCAVO CW-S5/HRE 540R
Vroomin350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 10:02 AM   #7
Hoovey2411
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (16)

nice progression thread
|Version 3.5 |TLN #918|
GIANTS|NINERS|SHARKS|WARRIORS
Hoovey2411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 10:09 AM   #8
Denver
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (13)

nice progress.... im a student too as well and its sure damn hard as hell to come up with cash for mods..... especially for authentic parts.

Mods: F-Sport Package | F-Sport Rear Sway Bar | Custom F-Sport Upper Strut Bar | F-Sport Intake | F-Sport Exhaust | F-Sport **** | Invidia Mid Pipe | ISF Taillights | Tein | Vertex | GFX | WALD | Roof Spoiler | S4Play Diffuser | Lexus Illuminated Door Sill | JDM Visors | V-LED's 6k | 3k HID Fogs | 20% Tint |
Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 12:20 PM   #9
Gville350
Lexus Fanatic

Man oh man, if only I could of have such a nice car in HS. LOL!

There's nothing wrong with modding on a budget. Where I do say to spend the extra cheese though is on the wheels.

GL with your project!
Old 10-03-12, 12:54 PM   #10
516IS
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (11)

I enjoyed reading this great story, thanks for sharing... And good luck with Pharmacy school...
516IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 02:10 PM   #11
Quik208
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (7)

Splitiy

Car looks good.
Quik208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 02:16 PM   #12
WeisISF
Pole Position

Send a message via AIM to WeisISF

good stuff, i too am a student and on a budget
WeisISF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 03:27 PM   #13
mililani00
Pole Position

damn nice! my parents bought me a $2500 integra. );
mililani00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 03:57 PM   #14
PorSiempre
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)

^^ Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

At least your parents were nice enough and thought highly enough of you to give you such a vehicle worth that much.

Certainly nothing to frown about. After all, you could have received nothing at all.
2007 IS 250 AWD Black Sapphire Pearl on Cashmere. HIDs w/ AFLS, prem pkg, OEM rear trunk spoiler, Formula One Tint: 20% sides, 5% rear. Nitrogen-filled Michelin PS2s on Lexus OEM 18" Chrome Wheels. K & N Cold Air Intake. Lexus OEM GFX Front Spoiler. Lexus OEM GFX Rocker Panels. Luminics Pure Blue Fogs + High Beams, PIAA Xtreme White DRLs.
1990 Toyota Celica GT White on Navy cloth, no air, orig. muffler, 270 000 km (168 750 miles)

2004 Triple Black 6 SPD Convertible Corvette
PorSiempre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 04:11 PM   #15
mililani00
Pole Position

i bought my lexus with cash and im 23. its $2,500 for a 95 teggy. im always certain that youre parents contributed to youre car.
and the frown is my parents didnt make that much money to throw away into a lexus as my first car. (;

Last edited by mililani00; 10-03-12 at 04:16 PM..
mililani00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 04:11 PM