Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Sleekbrian's High School/College Build on a Budget

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-12, 07:05 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice thread and ride for a high schooler... My first car in HS was a 1976 dodge dart with a slant six and **** brown in color...
Old 10-04-12, 10:38 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepy415
Wow you one lucky SOB what a generous gift from your parents. Car looks great!
Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
Not bad for a high schooler lol a lot of wish we got that gift.....
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
nice progression thread
Originally Posted by Gville350
Man oh man, if only I could of have such a nice car in HS. LOL!

There's nothing wrong with modding on a budget. Where I do say to spend the extra cheese though is on the wheels.

GL with your project!
Originally Posted by 516IS
I enjoyed reading this great story, thanks for sharing... And good luck with Pharmacy school...
Originally Posted by Quik208
Car looks good.
Originally Posted by mililani00
damn nice! my parents bought me a $2500 integra. );
Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words
Old 10-04-12, 10:42 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bob4256
Damn ballin on a budget lol. My parents got me my IS during my first year of college so I can relate to you.

My car looked similar to yours at the beginning in regards to cheaper parts and liking way it the way it was. Now looking back I ask myself "How in the world did I think that looked good?" lol

Although I spent quite a bit of money on things that were not worthwhile, it helped me learn the concept of doing it once and doing it right, even though I learned the hard way
Originally Posted by mj250
Coming from another college kid. I feel your money pain. I want to do so much but its just not there. Living in PA roads SUCK! I bought my car so my parents cant really say anything about me modding it out, but they certainly dont support it. My pops is a mechanic so he appreciates cars just like I do, but he dosent understand the "new generation" mods, LED conversions, springs/ coils, wheels, front lip, etc. He's used to a simple engine swap maybe a new carburetor or some stiffer leaf-springs, old stuff. Keep on modding and have fun with it, its an expression and extension of your self, I'm sure you already know that. You IS has come a LONG way and it looks awesome, not over done at all.
Originally Posted by Nolim1ts22
good stuff, i too am a student and on a budget
Good to know there are a group of guys here like me. It's tough modding a car when we have a bunch of other things we wanna spend it on at this age, but it sure is worth it at the end of the day imo.

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
I applaud you for making the best out of what you had.

To be honest the car didnt look horrible with black wheels/front lip, but your most recent set up is definitely the best. Visiting Alpine New Jersey/NY in May NOW I understand why people from the tri-state area are always complaining about the roads. WTFFFFF.... those were the worst roads Ive ever seen. I would never touch my suspension if I lived up there so your brave. I thank for Florida roads every day now

You also helped me out a lot when I was deciding on my Carbon Fiber interior and I thank you for that again. Cant wait to see your new wheels man!
Haha so true. So many people dont understand how bad some of the roads get here in NYC. If i was somewhere warm I would definitely lower the car more. Another huge issue is the snow /: And no problem, always like to help when I can
Old 04-03-13, 09:35 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Just recently received my new wheels. XXR 530 in hyper silver 18x8.75 +20 all around. Got them installed but don't have a good picture since my car is extremely dirty. I will get around to it soon. I've always been a fan of the LC818, but wanted them in 18's. These look pretty much identical. Very satisfied with the look of the wheel, especially for the price Keep in mind this is a budget build.
Old 04-10-13, 06:10 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

The car is super dirty and the wheels look grey from brake dust, but here is how she sits today. Special thanks to PlacidBoi and projectdna for all the fitment help

New front lip and side skirts on the way!

Last edited by sleekbrian; 04-10-13 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-10-13, 07:15 PM
Stainless9
Driver

Nice, plan on lowering more?
Old 04-10-13, 07:45 PM
supralative
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks real nice mang

replied to your PM as well
Old 04-10-13, 09:14 PM
amilkar350
Rookie

Great wheel choice, sexy looks at an even sexier price
Old 04-11-13, 06:39 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stainless9
Nice, plan on lowering more?
Right now I'm at 25 inches ground to fender. I really want to lower it a half inch more, but I'm not sure if I'm going to since the AWD versions have a problem with lowering under 25 inches. I don't know if i wanna risk messing up my CV boot

Also I'm rubbing in the front on large dips, I'd rather not exacerbate the rubbing. I'll see how it all looks when I get my new front lip and side skirts.

Originally Posted by supralative
looks real nice mang

replied to your PM as well
Thanks! Your car was one of the reasons I choose the Myride front lip

Originally Posted by amilkar350
Great wheel choice, sexy looks at an even sexier price
Haha yea, I honestly regret wasting my time and money on my other setups cause this one is my favorite and also the cheapest by far.
Old 04-11-13, 07:34 AM
Stainless9
Driver

yeah i hear yah, i have a awd as well, waiting for my coilovers to arrive. I believe the lowest you can go without any problems is 24.5? I picked up some 19s so hopefully that will kill a little bit of the fender gap when i lower it. Not sure if i missed it, but what tire size are you running?

Last edited by Stainless9; 04-11-13 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-11-13, 08:08 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i hear yah, i have a awd as well, waiting for my coilovers to arrive. I believe the lowest you can go without any problems is 24.5? I picked up some 19s so hopefully that will kill a little bit of the fender gap when i lower it. Not sure if i missed it, but what tire size are you running?
Yea I searched all over the place, and I believe I saw 2 members riding at 24.5. The problem is one of them doesn't DD their car, so that might be why his CV boot is holding up. Also I know a local member who ran 24.5 and his started to leak, but didn't rip. I feel like we'd be okay at 24.5 but I'd rather not take the chance. Instead, in an attempt to "appear lower" I bought a more bulky front lip and side skirts. I'll upload pics when they're on the car.
Old 04-11-13, 08:32 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sleekbrian
Yea I searched all over the place, and I believe I saw 2 members riding at 24.5. The problem is one of them doesn't DD their car, so that might be why his CV boot is holding up. Also I know a local member who ran 24.5 and his started to leak, but didn't rip. I feel like we'd be okay at 24.5 but I'd rather not take the chance. Instead, in an attempt to "appear lower" I bought a more bulky front lip and side skirts. I'll upload pics when they're on the car.
That's what I did too. I don't want to risk the boot leaking any more than I have to, and it seems a lot of people have had good luck at 25" fender to ground.

I have a couple of questions for you. Did you do an alignment after the car was lowered? If so, would you mind posting how far off the specs were from factory after the drop? And if you haven't done an alignment yet, could you post a pic of the car from the rear so I can see how much natural negative camber I'll be dealing with? If you have time of course.

The car looks great as is, it'll look even better with the new lip and sides. I didn't see which sides you decided to go with. I'm gonna guess INGS?
Old 04-11-13, 08:55 AM
Stainless9
Driver

As far as 25 from fender to ground, are you just measuring the fronts to that height? what about the rear?
Old 04-11-13, 09:23 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sm1ke
That's what I did too. I don't want to risk the boot leaking any more than I have to, and it seems a lot of people have had good luck at 25" fender to ground.

I have a couple of questions for you. Did you do an alignment after the car was lowered? If so, would you mind posting how far off the specs were from factory after the drop? And if you haven't done an alignment yet, could you post a pic of the car from the rear so I can see how much natural negative camber I'll be dealing with? If you have time of course.

The car looks great as is, it'll look even better with the new lip and sides. I didn't see which sides you decided to go with. I'm gonna guess INGS?
Thanks, I've been daily driving at 25" ground to fender for over a year on crappy NYC roads, so I wouldn't worry about this height. Yes I did get an alignment after the drop, but unfortunately I no longer have the info sheet. I would absolutely recommend getting an alignment after the drop. Not really because of the camber, but because of the toe. If toe is out of spec, your tires will get terrible uneven wear. From my memory my camber is between 2-2.5 degrees. I haven't seen any uneven wear on my tires yet. The drop is okay, but I really think 24.5 would be perfect! I really wish more people tried it out for our sake lol. I might even end up doing it myself cause I'm getting impatient.

In regards to the side skirts, I actually noticed the same seller was selling MyRide rep side skirts as well. Like the front lip, they label it "F Sport Style." So I went ahead and bought the MyRide rep front lip and side skirts. In my head it will flow nicely with my GFX rear

As far as 25 from fender to ground, are you just measuring the fronts to that height? what about the rear?
All four corners are at 25" ground to fender.
Old 04-11-13, 09:31 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah I was thinking about going with those sides as well, since it seems very few people have them. Also the seller wasn't able to provide any actual pictures other than the one stock photo in the ad, so I've been holding back. Looking forward to seeing pics of everything installed!

Quick Reply: Sleekbrian's High School/College Build on a Budget