Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

Going under the knife again....(YaKuZa_GS build 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 04:48 PM
sc-fsport
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also doing black chrome housing it's just a pain getting it to turn out like yours did. Nice job on the build.
Old 06-19-14, 06:12 PM
Will_GS400
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Love the headlights, hope to see your ride on the street sometime!
Old 06-19-14, 08:10 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Well, I was on the fence of picking up a GS as a daily but now, I definitely cannot. I'll be forced to do dirty things to it thanks to you. Killer GS man, I just read through this whole thread, what a road you have taken.
So what's the problem? mine is my daily I only storage for winter

Originally Posted by sc-fsport
I'm also doing black chrome housing it's just a pain getting it to turn out like yours did. Nice job on the build.
Ya black chrome is a tricky color to work with and easy to screw up

Originally Posted by Will_GS400
Love the headlights, hope to see your ride on the street sometime!
Now that its back on the road, you know where to find me How did your trunk setup turn out? Did you go through Mike at SoundsGood?

I also just finished installing IS350 paddle shifter to my steering wheel. My GS originally doesn't have e-shift but later found out ALL GS/Aristo ECUs support the e-shift option. But you'll need a few things. First you'll need the clock spring from a model with e-shift (got mine from empera). 2nd you need the paddle shifter from the IS350 and plugs (Thanks mikellucci for the hook up!). I was going to get them from the IS-F but I wasn't feeling the blue +/- . 3rd you will need to make your brackets to make them mount the the steering wheel.

I made my brackets with a 1" wide strip of 1/8" thick aluminum. It's not really that difficult but does take a bit of time. I did all the work myself at my buddy's shop as he has access to way more tools than I do. Once you cut the strip to the appropriate length, I put it in a vice about half way and hammered it about 45 degrees. Put one if the sides up to the mounting holes of the paddles on to the plate of the aluminum and find where you need to drill to join the bracket and paddles. Once you have the holes drilled, bolt the paddles onto the bracket and place it up against the steering wheel (steering wheel already removed and disassembled) to make sure you have the right angle and where you will be drilling the other side of the aluminum and where on the steering wheel you will be drilling. Throw the bracket back into the vice to drill the 2 new holes to mate the bracket and steering wheel. Bring it back to the steering wheel and mark the steering wheel frame where it needs drilling. Now this part is a little tricky. The metal on the steering wheel is a quite thick. I wouldn't advise putting a long bolt through and putting a nut on the end as its very tight behind the airbag. So what I did was drilled my 2 holes each side all the way through and used a thread tap so that the bolt would thread right into the steering wheel itself without passing through the other end. So now you should be able to bolt the paddles and brackets on finally. The only thing left to do before putting the steering wheel back together is to trim the back cover to make it fit over brackets. Once the back cover is trimmed you can finally put the steering wheel back together and on the car. If your vehicle is already equipped with e-shift then its just a matter of tapping the paddle lines to the original e-shift lines and you're done. If you're converting your car to e-shift like I did, you just need to replace the clock spring with the 6pin version and plug the shifters to the 2 unused pins. From the other side of the clock spring run the wiring through the firewall to the shift up/down pins in the ECU and you're done.

This is probably a lot to take in and hard to picture. I'll see what I can do about taking photos and showing a step by step.
BIG THANKS to PMP 300 for inspiring and helping me through this mod!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-2-days-3.html

Here's pics of the final product! I'm really glad I got them positioned perfectly between the wheel on combo switches. If it was any further back it would be too close to the switches and any closer i wouldn't be able to run hand between. So all in all I'm really happy with the outcome

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 06-19-14 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-20-14, 12:03 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow this keeps getting better and better! Great job on the paddle shifters!
Old 06-20-14, 01:07 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's seriously awesome... wish the 430's could have some of that goodness. Your car just keeps getting better and better.
Old 06-20-14, 01:48 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

very nice addition and matches the interior nicely...
Old 06-20-14, 06:47 AM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

those paddle shifters are perfect. love the choices you make on your GS
Old 06-25-14, 11:29 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

I just finished installing the JDM chrome door handles and my team pinstripe. The fronts were a breeze but the rear is a ****ing b**** to get the actuator out. I'm still on the fence about the handles. I'm not sure if its too much chrome. I might just have the outer painted black and keep just the handle chrome. Any thoughts or comments?

Old 06-25-14, 11:50 AM
armanitran
Lead Lap

I think doing black chrome door handles will do your car major justice to match your headlamp and taillight tints
Old 06-25-14, 12:16 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Originally Posted by armanitran
I think doing black chrome door handles will do your car major justice to match your headlamp and taillight tints
Ya I thought about that too but on the side of the car you can see much of the black chrome except with illest emblem on the rear door. So with the window frame, door molding and new pinstripe being chrome and being so close to the pinstripe I wasn't sure how the black chrome would look. Maybe I'll photoshop them to black chrome to see how it would turn out.

Here's the idea I was thinking about. This is just a chrome cover (which I would never run), but you get the idea. It's a nice touch and not so bold in your face

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 06-25-14 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-25-14, 02:17 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

stop posting pictures of your car lol.. where all jealous..... There was a member a few months ago that had a white GS and split the chrome handles up and only used the handle area on the white.. looked good... I was almost guilty of getting those overlays from ebay...
Old 06-25-14, 02:36 PM
Ava92
Pole Position

man I somehow missed these photos of the white carbon wheel with paddles. Amazing interior.

And yeah i think on your car just the handles chrome would look better and a little less busy, but the full chrome handles still look better than your old ones.
Old 06-25-14, 03:13 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

somehow i missed these pics... looks great IMO...
Old 06-25-14, 07:09 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I've had my paddle shifters sitting in my glove box since October. My guy is scared to tackle it. He keeps asking for a wiring diagram of the steering wheel. And I already had the e-shift. The plugs are there in the wheel .
Old 06-25-14, 09:34 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

off topic but you need to lower the front more to match the back.....or radius the rears. just my $.02

Quick Reply: Going under the knife again....(YaKuZa_GS build 2.0)