My SC300 NA-T Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 08:28 PM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My SC300 NA-T Build

Figured I would start one of these.

Just want to introduce myself. I'm new to the forums, new to Lexus, but not new to cars in general. I bought this 94 SC300 NA-T a month ago with the intentions of turning this into a double duty street and road racer. Time-wise, my history with cars has been short, but I have owned and modified quite a few.

Throughout college I owned a 98 Corolla 5 spd. After college I promised myself I would buy my dream car- MKIV Supra Turbo. So I did, got it shipped to NY from Cali bone stock. Modded it a bit to what you see now. Throughout this time I went through a few DDs- 04 SRT 4 (loved and miss that car), RB25 240SX (what a PITA), and then finally a G35 Coupe. Started road racing with the G and loved it, but wasn't in love with the platform for future modifications. I started looking at 240SXs and SC300s and finally settled on the SC you see below.

Basically the mods were:
Toyomoto turbo kit with PT61 turbo
ACT clutch (stage 3?? IDK)
2.0mm Greddy HG
AEM V1
TT front brakes
OZ 18" wheels with All-Season tires
Apexi FMIC
Eibach Springs on Tokico blues
Walbro 255 with RC440 injectors

I thought this was a good base for mods especially when it supposedly has 77K miles.

As you can see, cosmetically, the car is in poor shape. The paint is ****, the front bumper looks like it was spray painted with something crap, the paint on the wing is chipping/bubbling, the rear bumper paint is bad, the lip is cracked, overall the paint is not reflective with HEAVY water marks, water/murky headlights. Interior was dirty, wires kinda strewn all over the place. In fact I had to move some wires around just so I can use the clutch and brakes. Anyways, I supposedly got a good deal, and the chassis supposedly only has 77k miles. That's what I was buying, the chassis.

I decided to buy headlights from ebay to replace the ones I have (which are for sale all mounting tabs broken, take em from me $50 plus shipping). During installation the headlights I bought were different than the ones on the car, so I ditched the HID set up (which are also for sale, $100 + shipping)

Look! My headlight had a breather filter on it... WTF....

So I cleaned up the wiring mess associated with the HIDs, sorry no pics, forgot to take some, but here are my new lights!

I got side tracked with another track day at Pocono Raceway and took my uber reliable G35...

Back to the project, I got it inspected and got the alignment done, but the rears couldn't be aligned because the bolts were rusted too much... I'm stuck at a ridiculous -2.2 camber in the rear, which is cool if you like stance and stufff...

Car seemed to be running hot, I don't know if it's just the crappy dash gauge, but here is a pic of it cruising.

Checked the radiator cap...and found this

WTF. Decided to do a flush using

Will report back with my findings in a couple weeks once I get it out of the system and reinstalled with Toyota Red.

More coolant pics:
The red one is dirty coolant from my Supra (not really that dirty as you can see... I do proper maintenance, and the brown one is from the SC)

I'll be tackling the paint slowly too with claying, Porter's Random Orbital, etc...

Here's a quick shot of a small section I did quickly on the hood to test if it's even salvageable

At this rate, I may need a new radiator... We'll see. Oil change and spark plugs are next. Too bad my weekends have been booked... I hope this guy did some sort of maintenance... poor car. Forgot to mention, AC doesn't work either, and it looks like my compressor is on its way out... on a 77K mile Toyota. WTF.

Jeremy

Last edited by marshall2j; 07-31-12 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-31-12, 08:30 PM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Reserved for future
Old 07-31-12, 08:30 PM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Reserved for future 2
Old 07-31-12, 08:31 PM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Reserved for future 3
Old 07-31-12, 09:06 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, that antifreeze looked kinda bad. The temp gauge is normal in that position in these cars. How about some of the interior?

Welcome to CL!
Old 08-01-12, 01:14 AM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Wow, that antifreeze looked kinda bad. The temp gauge is normal in that position in these cars. How about some of the interior?

Welcome to CL!
+1 my temp guage is pretty much always in that spot.
Old 08-01-12, 05:39 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Thanks for the responses regarding the temp. I feel a little better now. People in supraforums are confirming that based on my compressor video, that the A/C clutch is starting to go out... To compare, my 152K mile Supra has been perfect...
Old 08-03-12, 06:27 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Drove the SC to pick up pizza last night... and of course, A/C console doesn't work... looks like the power wire came off or no longer connected. Stupid hacked electrical problems POS.

Sorry for my rants but it's just frustrating when my Supra was purposely and thoughtfully built and has been flawless mechanically. Hell my 240SX didn't have hacked electrical issues... just paint and body like every 240 LOL

Last edited by marshall2j; 08-03-12 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-03-12, 07:15 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would take it apart and go through it to see what else got hacked up on the car.
Old 08-03-12, 07:18 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
I would take it apart and go through it to see what else got hacked up on the car.
haha yep, I checked my trunk.... and I have some fun pictures to post later. *shakes head*
Old 08-05-12, 06:04 PM
sr71b
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hope you get everything ironed out
Old 08-05-12, 06:56 PM
food7373
Pole Position

Looks like quite the project, but not a bad one though! Keep up the good work!
Old 08-05-12, 10:14 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like one helluva project. that coolant is NASTY! on the temp, mine is lower..right under the middle line.
Old 08-07-12, 08:33 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

My compressor is bad, it's making some loud metallic noises. I'm a little hesistant to drive it around right now. Not sure if it'll ruin my serpentine belt... but I need to drive it to get that coolant cleaned. Put up a WTB ad for the compressor, but no bites yet. New from Toyota is over $400. I'm installing a TRD thermostat once I flush that dirty coolant out of there.

Also, a lot of my pulleys are a little rusty, has anyone had good luck with driftmotion's lightweight replacement offerings? I'm not looking for underdrive ones.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...61aluminum.php
Old 08-16-12, 06:25 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Not much to update as I've been really busy with life in general, but should have a few free weekends coming up to work on the car. I have purchased a used compressor from a member here, and also an Auto TT Torsen diff from supraforums... Hopefully get them on soon and fix the A/C issues. Once the car is in better shape, I would probably have to sell my G35

BTW any info/advice on the pulleys from Driftmotion?

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...61aluminum.php

Jeremy

Quick Reply: My SC300 NA-T Build