Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

ScoobySC3's SC300 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-12, 11:20 AM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my inspiration right here. I too wanna go white on my 94.. i have gotten started but didnt get very far.. i lack a second car so that doesnt help.. also lack a garage now... but i love the hard work.. keep it up.. ill have to ask you questions if i ever run into any
Old 09-06-12, 11:25 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NaturalJZ
my inspiration right here. I too wanna go white on my 94.. i have gotten started but didnt get very far.. i lack a second car so that doesnt help.. also lack a garage now... but i love the hard work.. keep it up.. ill have to ask you questions if i ever run into any
Thanks!!! And yeah I have a 96 Civic as my daily so it makes working on the car easier. And my room mate does not mind that I take up both garage spaces for a bit LOL. And do not hesitate to ask any questions, I am always happy to help. I don't know much, but I do know a few "Well I would not do that if I did it again" as I did make a bunch of mistakes. Oh well, its been a great learning experience.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 09-06-12, 11:44 AM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Get the welder back if you can, when it fails later you'll have to redo the whole quarter panel and you'll end up welding it anyway. Your car, your decision, but I know I personally would rather do it easily now than hard later.

Careful on the "garage for a bit" part; I told my girl that she'd have to hold off on her woodworking dust generating stuff for two weeks or so. A year and a half later lol.....
Old 09-24-12, 10:34 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

Well, just a small update with no pics, although I want to show you guys some things and get your opinions..

So, first off I need to vent a bit. I am getting so frustrated, there are some spots in the primer that look like tiny little pits, almost like a reverse bubble. I have sanded most of them out, but there are a few spots I tried and hit metal around it, like we are talking about an area the size of a millimeter, so I feel like I need a pencil eraser made of sandpaper lol. I just cant get an area that small without affecting the area around it.

Okay now above is the perfectionist in me, but I keep on having to remind myself that this is not going to be a show car, nor would I ever want it to be. But it is this constant internal battle between "Well you have come this far, so you might as well get it as perfect as possible" and "hey dumbass, it already looks really good, don't sweat the small things and just get this car painted and back on the road so you can actually have fun with it!"

I will grab some pics of the areas I am talking about, and they all seem to be right on the edges, like where the trunk meets the rear quarter panel.

Basically my question is how much will these small imperfections show in the paint?... I know you can't tell me without seeing it, so be right back with a pic..
Old 09-24-12, 10:44 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

okay just went out and snapped some pics of what I was talking about.

I would like to know an honest opinion on it, but what I want to hear is "Dude, you will barely notice those, just paint the damn thing already!!!"

Thanks guys!
Rick
Old 09-24-12, 10:50 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

Oh one last thing, I hit metal on a few spots and while in a frustrated rage, I grabbed a can of U-pol 1K high build and sprayed it on.

First off... THIS is how high build primer should be! It went on ultra thick, almost like sprayable body filler, and smoothed out so nice, and sanding was easy as can be. My 2K high-build primer went on like water and super thin I followed the data sheet perfectly 4:1, followed flash times as well, and it is anything but "High build" lol

So my last question for today... the 1K primer was beige in color, can I lay base(gunmetal) over this without it showing through, or should I sand it back down and lay down the grey primer?

Thanks again guys!
Rick
Old 01-02-13, 10:36 PM
Jos
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really hope you didn't give up on this. Just to let you know, no matter if I'm extremely late, that those tiny little pits are absolutely unnoticeable once you paint, especially since most of the coats will level tiny pits out.

I'd like to see an update if you have one, mate. Car looked really good.
Old 01-14-13, 12:33 PM
scoobySC3
Driver

Originally Posted by Jos
I really hope you didn't give up on this. Just to let you know, no matter if I'm extremely late, that those tiny little pits are absolutely unnoticeable once you paint, especially since most of the coats will level tiny pits out.

I'd like to see an update if you have one, mate. Car looked really good.
Thanks for the help! And I have not given up on this, but I have been extremely busy with work and other projects so this was put on the back burner for a bit, but it kills me to not be out working on it everyday, we have also been hitting record cold temps here which never helps lol. I was promoted twice at work in the last few months, which means less time to work on the car, but more money for fun parts! Right now, I am super close to being ready to paint, if I spent a full weekend on it, I could have it ready to be painted. With the lack of time I have, I am thinking about paying someone to paint it, but I will cross that bridge when I get there. But rest assured this project will be completed, my goal is to have it back on the road by spring, and then the upgrades start!

Sorry for the lack of updates, and updates will be pretty slow here in the coming months, but when I make some real progress I will bump this thread.

Thanks again,
Rick
Old 01-14-13, 01:36 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Rick in pic 50...those are small, and will be hardly noticeable. In pic 51, you shouldn't have any problems laying gun metal over beige? In most cases you can lay darker over a lighter color such as Beige, providing the sanding or smoothing is done properly-I'm also going to pm you a painting troubleshooting guide, this will give you some really good explanations and tips to avoid any future problems.

steve
Old 05-30-13, 10:29 AM
SC3Hunna
Driver School Candidate

Great job so far. it's coming a long great. remember it's all in the prep work! ..take you're time good luck buddy! cant wait to see more pics and updates from you're SC
Old 09-13-15, 03:50 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Any updates? Was really looking forward to seeing this thing done.
Old 09-13-15, 06:10 PM
GearGrind
Driver School Candidate

wow stripping the paint looks like a real pain in the butt, but good job!