Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Mrs1jz headache build

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-12, 08:45 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mrs1jz headache build

Well I've been here for awhile but never really post much, so I figured it was time to share my ongoing headache. Started about a year and a half ago. My gf had started telling me she wanted to learn how to drive a standard, so we taught her. Then she started driving my 1j/r154 powered cressida, got her tax return, and bought herself this:

It came on chrome gen2 gs wheels that I yanked for my g35s I had laying around. It's a factory 5spd 92 model. She went to pick it up on the other side of town by herself since I had to work. She promptly fried the clutch in 25 miles because she was a noob and never drove in traffic in a standard. I could smell it in the parking lot when I got home hours later. Replaced with an f1 stage2 which promptly slipped after 900 miles of baby break in. FML. Then the car started doing weird crap and I hated it and it sat for 4 months. Turned out it had some serious ground issues from the PO taking crap apart, fixed that, and life was good again. Tax time rolled around and a kid I knew through another forum decided to go ls1 in his jzx90 mark2, so I scored an 81k jzx90 1j/r154 with a fresh supra waterpump and clutch for 1200!!!! So I got out the soldering iron and random wiring scraps and turned an obd2 auto sc harness into an obd1 5spd sc to aristo harness. I then swapped the pans, drilled and tapped it, and was ready to go in. Also, I took an auto cressida front half of driveshaft and the stock rear half to my drivetrain guy and got a 1 pc made for the r154. This is one of the first things I do to all my toyotas. such a huge difference

I built the aristo ecu harness because the PO of the engine told me his ecu had took a crap. He seemed like a competent guy, so I went with his story. Fired the car up and it was hitting a wall at 3000, so I figured since it was my first time building a harness from kinda scratch that I had done something wrong. So I converted her factory harness with the jzx90 harness and boom, same 3000rpm wall. Turns out the guy didn't know how to put the timing stuff together right and the crank was off a tooth. 20 minutes after I found that she was boosting up the street. Good lesson. Never trust nissan guys haha.

So then I bought a stick of 3" tubing, made some pie cuts, and produced a dp. During this I was running 4urxtc's sidemount intercooler while I built some piping and fmic setup out of an old conquest intercooler I scored for freefiftyfree. came out kinda nice, fit snug and right around the cruise control crap which is wired up, but needs a cable. During this time I also snagged an ebay mk4 aluminum rad since the stock one exploded, and the cressida one I ziptied in did the same thing. A little hammering on the sc brackets and it was golden, temps are rock solid here in tx summer now.

So she had her daily back, things were okay, and we drove it to little rock AR. Trip went great, cold ac, open dp, yanked an srt8 jeep, pissed off a redneck in a lightning and drug some douche in a 350z vert who thought he was a badass. Also bombed around the country out there pretending we were in Hazzard county haha.

during the trip it started sounding like a turbo was making noise under load. Instead of trouble shooting, I did this

As of now she's just rocking stock injectors and running off the gate at 9.5psi. Thing rips! 4" open dp is music! Recently got some old school chrome azev's in 18x8/9.5. Theyre a bit ugly, but they had great tires and were only $100, craigslist FTW.

So thats where we're at. Things not installed:
complete bushing kit for the front
new leather (my room smells so good haha)
exhaust. need to build, full 4" with aero designs muffler

who knows where this thing will go, my gf just wanted a neat little car that she could use to drop an *** whipping on douchetards in mustangs that think theyre so rad. So I made it happen. This chassis is a little rough, all the normal wear and tear crap like door handles and such are breaking and blah blah blagh, so I've been looking for a clean shell to swap it in, or a clean first gen gs to replace this as daily duty so thisw can be her drift missile.
Old 07-04-12, 08:55 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

nice work dude
Old 07-04-12, 09:16 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Right on Kyle, good thread!
Old 07-04-12, 03:16 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work

My name is Kyle its a good name lol
Old 07-04-12, 03:32 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

haha I agree Kyle is a good name.

Thanks guys, it's a super work in progress type deal. The swap has been the easy part, the chassis has been a *****. I have a lot of the swap pics on my other phone thats broken, trying to find a way to upload all of that stuff. Car runs great though. Took it drifting today, need to get the vids. 2nd gear sweepers are fun with the holset. By the way, it's an he341 and the spool isn't much worse than stock. hits nasty. here's a vid my buddy (4urxtc on here) made of my cressidas, gf's car sounds exactly like the one doing the traffic circle
Old 07-04-12, 04:08 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was my first video to make so it's not the best. I had fun making it though.
Old 07-04-12, 05:35 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice for the money you have invested in it. ..
Old 07-04-12, 09:34 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey there vrank. i have a f1 clutch in my rb240sx and i have nothing but good things about it. i also got it for my 1jz(not yet to be started). but iam also hoping for the best also.

how did you fix that timing tooth issue if i may ask??(yes iam also a nissan guy).

and also how the heck did you keep your ac??
Old 07-04-12, 10:24 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by megamax
hey there vrank. i have a f1 clutch in my rb240sx and i have nothing but good things about it. i also got it for my 1jz(not yet to be started). but iam also hoping for the best also.

how did you fix that timing tooth issue if i may ask??(yes iam also a nissan guy).

and also how the heck did you keep your ac??
My friend has mad 1jz skillz yo!!! I believe the compressor from the stock 2jz bolts right up. I could be wrong though. Good luck with your build though.
Old 07-05-12, 03:26 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

That f1 stage 2 was such a mistake and I whole heartedly wish I had gone with an oem replacement. The 6 puck stage 3 for r154 has served me real well though. Currently I'm running the stock clutch and only 10psi with 275/35/18, hasn't slipped yet and I beat the **** out of my cars.

Ac is simple. Unbolt your compressor from the 2j and leave it in the car, bolt to 1j, and then reattach wiring in the same way. Aristo swap will need a high sensitivity relay wired inline on the ac pin
Old 07-05-12, 03:53 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, the timing tooth issue was fixed by putting the crank in the right place. It was retarded 10*. took the belt off, moved crank, reassembled and it was fine
Old 07-20-12, 01:43 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Need to get a working camera to get pics up. A few nights ago I swapped throttle bodies because the markII one didnt have provisions for cruise control which should work, just need to get a cable now. Also tossed in 440s while I was there.

BUT! It's all probably a waste of time on the 1j in there, because I just had a kid drive 2 hours and drop off a complete vvti soarer swap, fmic kit that I wont use, and some mk3 engine mounts for $760. It appears clean, cams look good, turnbo spins freely and didnt have an oily film in either the charge piping or exhaust, and it turns over freely. I have like 10 days til I have to be out of my house and move out of state. The 1j vvti for my daily isn't in it yet (though its a running swap from my missile car so drop in and grin) and I have to pack all my crap.

I'll tear down a little more later, but I know it'll only take me like 2 hours to extend and repin the harness for my chassis if I want to make it happen quick. I just hate leaving all the auto trans/diagnostic box crap in there. maybe I'll take it with me and do it up there. We'll see
Old 07-20-12, 03:53 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

this is todays score

And to celebrate a half price vvti swap with extras, some $20 a piece grass fed new york strips marinated in miso marinade grilled on my 7mgte bellhousing grill, and some red hook
Old 07-20-12, 03:54 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Old 07-20-12, 07:43 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow the deal of the century! I would ****** reall quick too!

in for the results.

Quick Reply: Mrs1jz headache build