Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

"Raine's SC300 (KEIRA 2.0) From the Beginning to End."

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 04:16 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

On to FK’s

- After a little over a year running on the Toyo tires, it was time for a new set. They seemed to lose tread faster than I’m used to, so I went back to my usual tire brand – Falken. I had the Toyos removed and on went a new set of 235/35-19’s up front, and 275/30-19’s in the rear. The work was done, as usual, by my friend Edgar at Velocity Motorsports in Anaheim, CA.

Old 07-31-12, 04:18 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Black Out

- Not even one month after the radiator incident, disaster #2 struck: on the way to the market I started hearing a faint, intermittent rubbing noise from the front left area. Before I got into a parking spot it happened – all electronics shut down as if someone removed the battery cable. Worse – no signals, brake lamps weren’t working, and that faint noise was now a loud scratching sound. Turns out my front left tire decided to play tug-of-war on my main harness, and the harness lost! Took me hours to extend, relocate, and rewire the main harness. Such a pain... if you are lowered, I sugest you do the harness relocation job right away.

Old 07-31-12, 04:18 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Remote Start

Thanks to the main harness mishap, my car alarm shorted out as well. I ordered up an Autopage CS-RS730 alarm. The alarm features an LCD remote transmitter, remote start, 2-way paging, dual-stage shock sensor, temperature sensor, turbo timer, and more. I also enhanced the security with some optional add-ons, which I won’t mention here

(continued on post #65)

Last edited by raine; 08-01-12 at 01:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nlemus12 (07-07-20)
Old 07-31-12, 10:40 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 on Cyrus, he is the man when it comes to alignment. Nuff said.
Old 08-01-12, 08:15 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

EDFC #2

- Remember how I custom installed the EDFC faceplate into the shift boot surround? It worked… for a few months. Then the fragile ribbon cable connecting the screen to the rest of the EDFC unit decided to let go. Over 3 years later I finally got around to ordering a new EDFC controller, which took all but 5 minutes to install since A. I already had the cables ready, and B. I decided to just wedge it between the passenger seat and the center console for now. On a related note, I ordered a new shifter surround to get rid of the hole where the Lexus nameplate usually is. About a month afterward I ended up installing the EDFC unit permanently to the side of the center console.

Last edited by raine; 09-27-12 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-01-12, 01:37 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Wasting Film

- A couple of pics were snapped at the Rebuild Japan Meet in Los Angeles, CA.

Me up front, buddy Mike S. following in his old G35.

Last edited by raine; 08-01-12 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 01:41 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Clutch Job

- The clutch disc finally gave out, and I could still drive the car, but if I mashed on the gas pedal with any intention of accelerating quickly, it would start to slip at around the 5000rpm mark. It was time for a clutch job, and since the car was still on the original clutch (confirmed by service records) I decided to get a new clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel, rear main seal, and pilot bearing. I didn’t go OEM replacement though – I got the upgrade bug (so what’s new?) and went a few stages up; I started with a Spec lightweight aluminum flywheel, matched that with an ACT G6 6-Puck Spring clutch disc, and topped it off with an ACT HD heavy-duty pressure plate. Installation was relatively easy thanks to a lift, air tools, and some MGD. While the transmission was on the ground I also drained the old gear oil and replaced it with Red Line GL-5 75W90 synthetic. Pedal pressure is a little stiffer (good thing I went with the HD and not the XT pressure plate), grab is excellent, and shifting is smooth. During initial break-in the clutch felt like an on/off switch, but after 200 miles it eased up, and now I can easily drive without chirping everywhere.

Parts ready, including rear main seal. Not shown – the Redline gear oil and pilot bearing.

Bolted up, 6 pucks of grab.

Nothing like a cold one while working on your car.

Last edited by raine; 08-01-12 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 01:43 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Tune-Up

- After tackling the clutch job, I kept going and gave the car a well-needed major tune-up. The new parts list included:

1. Mobil 1 oil filter
2. 6 quarts of Mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic oil
3. New belts
4. New radiator cap
5. New upper radiator hose
6. New lower radiator hose
7. 2 gallons of Peak engine coolant
8. New thermostat
9. New PCV valve
10. New Mann fuel filter
11. Two new upper O2 sensors
12. One new lower O2 sensor
13. Six new Denso Iridium spark plugs
14. New spark plug cable set
15. New distributor cap
16. New rotor
17. New intake manifold gaskets
18. New exhaust manifold gaskets.
19. New K&N Air Filter (larger and longer than previous no-name filter)
20. New K&N Filter Wrap
21. New fuel tank cap
22. Pair of new Bosch Evolution wiper blades
23. New OEM Lexus/Toyota cabin filter
24. 2 cans of engine cleaner
25. New timing light
26. K&N Cleaning Kit (for later use)

I started the job around 10am, and finished it up by 4pm the same day, with the bulk of the work involving removing the upper intake manifold to get to the spark plugs. As a final touch I cleaned the engine with some engine cleaner, Simple Green, and a lot of elbow grease.

Note: Fram filter snuck into this pic (it was for my Toyota Highlander); for the SC300 I used a Mobil 1 filter.

Changing spark plugs on a stock SC300 engine? Not fun.

Six hours later, squeaky clean and ready for more road trips!

Last edited by raine; 08-01-12 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 01:44 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Colorful

- I used to have black anodized Rays lug nuts, but when I saw the Project Kics R40 NeoChro lug nuts with locks. Just a quick call to my buddy at Mackin Industries (U.S. distributors of Project Kics) and on his way home from work he brought me 20 shiny new Neo Chro lugs for my car.

Old 08-01-12, 01:47 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Flat Fix

- A week after installing the Neo Chro lug nuts, I came home one late evening (er – early morning) and parked in the garage as usual. As I was walking to the door I heard a hissing noise, and it turns out that somewhere along the 10 freeway I must have picked up a nice triangular piece of broken bottle glass dead center on the front-right tire. It wasn’t just a puncture either – it was more like a rip, and the tire was done. I ordered a pair of Falken FK-452’s for the fronts and had them installed the next day.

Old 08-01-12, 01:50 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Metal Stuff

- Sorry no pics, but I replaced the stock rubber clutch line with a Techna-Fit stainless-steel line from Techna-Fit, and I also replaced the dead, squishy OEM steering rack bushings with Battle Version aluminum steering rack bushings. The Battle Version bushings are awesome; no rack movement whatsoever, and precise steering response. I recommend the Battle Version bushings to anyone who needs to replace their OEM ones.
Old 08-01-12, 01:57 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Cat Back

- With the car on jack stands (getting my wheels redone) I got tired of looking at OEM mufflers - the eBay axle-back mufflers came off month ago because they cracked at the weld - which meant it was time to get something nice. I considered the 5Zigen Mega system, but it was hard to find in stock, and it made no sense to me to spend $800ish for axle back mufflers when I could get a full cat-back system for about the same. The Blitz Nur-Spec exhaust (which, coincidentally also cost about $800ish) was nice but it was a single outlet system, which to me looks weird if your car has two exhaust openings. After a few phone calls I got a hookup on a legit exhaust – the Fujitsubo Legalis-R cat-back exhaust system. I didn’t even have to wait for shipping – an employee at TEIN USA (U.S. distributors of Fujitsubo) actually drove the exhaust system to my doorstep the same day!

As for the exhaust, it is very high quality. The welds are excellent, the stainless steel mufflers and resonators are beautiful, and the system came complete with all new mounting hardware. The exhaust sound is great too – it doesn’t drone, it doesn’t sound like a straight pipe either; in fact it’s relatively quiet… but if you stomp on the gas your ears will let you know that you are rocking a high quality exhaust system!

The Fujitsubo system features very mpressive craftsmanship and build quality.

Muffler stamp means it's legit, heh.

So shiny you can see my living room. Laser etched logo is a nice touch.

Installing the mid piping.

Installing the rear muffler sections.

Last edited by raine; 09-27-12 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-01-12, 01:58 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Rear Flashers

- Still waiting for my wheels, I removed my 1995 tail lamps and installed brand new 1997 OEM Tail Lamps that I sourced from a local dealer for a hookup price.

Old 08-01-12, 02:04 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Burning Black

- Finally, after over a month my newly finished Work Meister S1 3-piece wheels came back. All four wheels were straightened and balanced to zero, all wheel lips were repaired, and then came the custom part -

Step 1: disassemble and strip the old paint off of the wheel centers.
Step 2: mirror polish the wheel centers.
Step 3: brush finish the spoke faces (leaving the “windows” still mirror polished).
Step 4: paint the wheel centers with a custom transparent burning black.
Step 5: top it off with chrome-dipped wheel lips.

I originally had planned for chrome lips, but I have to credit my friend Edgar for coming up with the idea for how to do the wheel centers. At first I wasn’t quite sure I’d like it, but when I picked the wheels up I loved the finished product. I used original Work white decals for the spokes, but I had some custom lip decals made in red to match the car, since Work Wheels only had white or blue.

How the wheels looked before – bent, with chipped lips, faded finish, and worn paint.

Faces being worked on. Note the mirror polished windows / brushed face combo.

Assembled with freshly dipped chrome lips.

A closer look at the finish.

An even closer look LOL

On the rack, ready for tires.

Custom lip decals in red to match my car.

Yet another late night after-hours installation.

Back to Cyrus for a proper alignment.

Sexy.

(continued on post #76)

Last edited by raine; 08-01-12 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 02:05 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Love your car. Keep up the good work.

Quick Reply: "Raine's SC300 (KEIRA 2.0) From the Beginning to End."