Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

Kwik's Black 09 build thread....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-13, 07:09 AM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How hard was the retrofit? It seems like a complete tear down to put anything decent in our pos projectors. The s2k's are amazing projectors aren't they?
Old 03-14-13, 11:45 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice mods!!! Car looks awesome.
Old 03-14-13, 12:05 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

s2000 projectors are very popular in retrofits in many cars.. not only do they have a brilliant lens, they have an incredibly bright projector along with being a smaller sized projector so it's ideal for our housings. This and it uses D2S bulbs which are brighter than OEM D4S.

I believe other popular choices are TSX for regular xenon and FX for Bixenon.

Someone on this forum has changed out the lens for our stock projectors and it gave a nice blue cutoff if you're looking for something like that.
Old 03-14-13, 02:57 PM
kwik801
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pqbrown
How hard was the retrofit? It seems like a complete tear down to put anything decent in our pos projectors. The s2k's are amazing projectors aren't they?
It was pretty hard to get it to align up. Probably one of the harder retro I have done. The output is honestly amazing.

Originally Posted by ISFpat
s2000 projectors are very popular in retrofits in many cars.. not only do they have a brilliant lens, they have an incredibly bright projector along with being a smaller sized projector so it's ideal for our housings. This and it uses D2S bulbs which are brighter than OEM D4S.

I believe other popular choices are TSX for regular xenon and FX for Bixenon.

Someone on this forum has changed out the lens for our stock projectors and it gave a nice blue cutoff if you're looking for something like that.
I was the one that did the clear lens swap on the stock headlight. I felt that it was a nice upgrade for those who wanted more color on there cut off, but for someone who has done retro's it wasnt even close.
Old 03-14-13, 02:58 PM
kwik801
Driver

Old 03-14-13, 03:14 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kwik801
It was pretty hard to get it to align up. Probably one of the harder retro I have done. The output is honestly amazing.

I was the one that did the clear lens swap on the stock headlight. I felt that it was a nice upgrade for those who wanted more color on there cut off, but for someone who has done retro's it wasnt even close.
I also switched out my oem frensel lenses for a clear Sti-r lense. Color is slightly better and the cut off is alot sharper but intensity and the width still sucks. Did you have to cut up the headlights quite a bit? I guess why I'm asking is if you'd do it again? I'm a bit of a headlight guru so you are my hero for doing this retro lol!
Old 03-14-13, 03:19 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like those sills a lot and the new led projectors. Well done man
Old 03-14-13, 03:27 PM
FordGT08
Driver

The little details with the cf looks amazing! so you wrapped the rear diffuser yourself as well?
Old 03-14-13, 03:34 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

I also switched out my oem frensel lenses for a clear Sti-r lense. Color is slightly better and the cut off is alot sharper but intensity and the width still sucks. Did you have to cut up the headlights quite a bit? I guess why I'm asking is if you'd do it again? I'm a bit of a headlight guru so you are my hero for doing this retro lol!
Can you guys do a DIY for it? Or atleast do a step by step instruction? I'm looking to do it to as it may be a cheap viable option for us mechanically-retro inclined
Old 03-14-13, 06:09 PM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking ISF! Love all of the carbon fiber parts!
Old 03-14-13, 08:04 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Can you guys do a DIY for it? Or atleast do a step by step instruction? I'm looking to do it to as it may be a cheap viable option for us mechanically-retro inclined
The process isn't hard to do, just a bit time consuming. IIRC there is a thread outlining removal on a 2is on yhe forum that i used. badically you have to remove the bumper, take out the headlights, disassemble them (pia), then bake them (not as intimidating as it sounds). The lense drops right out once they are open, not hard at all, then reassembly or paint the shrouds if you want a darker look (I did). Nice mod for 50$. I'm in for more info and pics of the retro.
Old 03-14-13, 08:46 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Damn those CF parts came out nice.
Old 03-15-13, 09:30 AM
kwik801
Driver

I have some pics from another member that did them first on here. I kinda looked at his pics and just elaborate off of them. I think there is another member that just completed some with TSX projectors. I can't remember the link but I'll look around. Problems with this retro. The stock projectors on both the pre LED headlights and LED headlights have a side mounted projector. So when you do the retro you will have to cut a hole in the back of the headlight to remove the bulb or pry aparts the lights every time your HID bulb goes out. Other than that If you have done retrofits before mounting shouldn't be a problem. I'll look at home to see if I can find those pictures of how I mounted them.

Originally Posted by FordGT08
The little details with the cf looks amazing! so you wrapped the rear diffuser yourself as well?
HAHA. naw that was made by Arkym

Would you like a set by set on how I did the retro or set by set on swapping out the stock lens for the STI-R clear lens??
Old 03-15-13, 11:32 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Not bad
Old 03-15-13, 11:35 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

I have some pics from another member that did them first on here. I kinda looked at his pics and just elaborate off of them. I think there is another member that just completed some with TSX projectors. I can't remember the link but I'll look around. Problems with this retro. The stock projectors on both the pre LED headlights and LED headlights have a side mounted projector. So when you do the retro you will have to cut a hole in the back of the headlight to remove the bulb or pry aparts the lights every time your HID bulb goes out. Other than that If you have done retrofits before mounting shouldn't be a problem. I'll look at home to see if I can find those pictures of how I mounted them.

HAHA. naw that was made by Arkym

Would you like a set by set on how I did the retro or set by set on swapping out the stock lens for the STI-R clear lens??
I'm pretty sure people can appreciate both DIY's but TBH most people would not re-retro their car due to the fact that they will lose AFS. However it seems the task to change out the projector lens seems fairly straight forward, I just never saw the inside of our headlights personally before.

Quick Reply: Kwik's Black 09 build thread....