Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

****Official Twoloose Build Thread****

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 09:57 PM
twoloose
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ****Official Twoloose Build Thread****

Updated going manual swap!! Go to page 7!!

Old Thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ld-thread.html

Hey guys figured I make a new build thread since things have changed alot. As some of you know after I bought my car back in january from puff I found out from my shop that it had bad compression. The front 4 had 185 and the rear 2 only had 90, so after finding that out we decided to go with a GTE bottom end. After we heard back from the machine shop that the block we gave them was going to be way more work than originally thought we scrapped that idea. We thought about finding another block, or redoing the one I had and then I started crunching #'s and for a little more than what I was going to spend on the block alone I could go with a complete GTE aristo swap....So 1 week later after making the decission I have an aristo motor/trans/ecu sitting in my garage....The plan is to use what we can from my current NA-t(turbo, injectors etc..), redo the intercooler piping, new manifold, fuel rail, upgrade to a 340 aeromotive pump and a few other things...I don't know what we are going to due for controlling it, stock ecu, piggy back or standalone, I haven't decided yet, depends what I want it to put down I guess...So thats the new plan, its time to get this car done right, the way it should be done, no half *** work or parts...

So we ordered the motor last week and it was delivered to freed engineering yesterday. Today Ben check it out and made sure the compression was good and the motor look good. Compression was 170 across all 6, great start. So I picked it up today and started tearing it down with a friend, vacuum lines, twin turbo's, and upper and lower intake off. Started cleaning the motor tonight. Tomorrow I need to figure out what can be eliminated from the aristo motor thats not carrying over for the swap. Ordering a new manifold and fuel rail tonight.

Here are some pics...

The car

The motor

Started taking the turbo's off

Turbo's gone(for sale also, JDM turbo's)

Upper manifold off

All gone

So whatcha think?

Updated the exterior apperance!!! Check it out!!!

Last edited by twoloose; 02-27-14 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-29-12, 08:01 PM
twoloose
Driver

Going to update with pics this week....
Old 04-29-12, 09:28 PM
CptCrunch
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NICE! gte swaps are cool!
Old 04-30-12, 07:26 AM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pop a ge block on that motor while its out. That will ensure your build holds up as the ge is stronger.

Might want to do rods, pistons...

Single turbo? what ecu?
Old 04-30-12, 08:59 AM
SELFMade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the GE block IS stronger??
Old 04-30-12, 09:28 AM
AMA0627
Rookie

Originally Posted by SELFMade
So the GE block IS stronger??
I was under the impression all the BLOCKS in the 2JZ family were the same, minus the oil squirters on the GTE's. The rods in the GTE VVTI and NON VVTI are the same, Same part number if i remember correctly! But while the motor is out, I would replace all the things that are hard to get to, like front/rear main seals. I replaced the water pump, timing belt, tensioner and oil pump on mine. Not because they were bad, but because the motor was out and it is so much easier to do it on an engine stand as.

What kind of budget are you on and what are your power goals?

Car is looking good, keep it up and dont forget were all here for the pictures!

-Adam
Old 04-30-12, 11:33 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Sucks to buy a car thats half azzed then have to do it all over, but at least you know it will be done right this time around. Goodluck pm me if you have any questions.
Old 05-01-12, 08:43 AM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by japspec
Sucks to buy a car thats half azzed then have to do it all over, but at least you know it will be done right this time around. Goodluck pm me if you have any questions.
I beg to differ. Nothing on this car was done half *** and I'm just about tired of OP and his negative comments. I've tried to stay away from his threads but I'm really getting tired of it. He bought a perfectly healthy car which only needed half a mile to top out at 155 mph. The only problem I had with the car was an oil leak from the turbo for which I reduced my asking price $1k so OP could buy a new turbo and guess what. The oil leak was fixed I bet for almost nothing.

To OP I wish you the best of luck with your new build but please don't give anyone the impression that you bought a P.O.S. I'm still trying to figure out how the motor got hurt 3 weeks after you bought the car when it was perfectly fine till the very last day I owned it.
Old 05-01-12, 09:58 AM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Pics/teardown of the old motor would prove alot, just saying.
Old 05-01-12, 10:39 AM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by justablkv8
Pics/teardown of the old motor would prove alot, just saying.
It's been almost 4 months since he bought the car and he's still driving it to this day. A lot can happen between then and now, I'm just saying.
Old 05-01-12, 01:09 PM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Hey, if the car ran healthy with you and he drove it off your driveway and to his house without codes or issues then you're in the clear.

An experienced engine builder can rip down the engine and tell what the cause was -- and 90% of the time its seen even if an engine has been used for thousands of miles after the initial start of failure.

I'm not pointing fingers, but this could open up some insight on NA-T guys on what could possibly happen. I believe you've had that car for a bit and I'm sure if you had issues you wouldnt sell it. Just my .02
Old 05-01-12, 01:21 PM
jetlifegs
Driver School Candidate

Did you take these pics on instagram
Old 05-01-12, 02:33 PM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pop a ge block on that motor while its out. That will ensure your build holds up as the ge is stronger.

Single turbo? what ecu?
huh? ge block stronger?? ge and gte block are the same, only diff is oil coolers, the actual block is the same.

Originally Posted by AMA0627
I was under the impression all the BLOCKS in the 2JZ family were the same, minus the oil squirters on the GTE's. The rods in the GTE VVTI and NON VVTI are the same, Same part number if i remember correctly! But while the motor is out, I would replace all the things that are hard to get to, like front/rear main seals. I replaced the water pump, timing belt, tensioner and oil pump on mine. Not because they were bad, but because the motor was out and it is so much easier to do it on an engine stand as.

What kind of budget are you on and what are your power goals?

Car is looking good, keep it up and dont forget were all here for the pictures!

-Adam
diff between vvti and non vvti besides the head fact that its vvti and everything that makes it vvti is the rods, rodes on a vvti motor are a diff part number and weaker then the non vvti gte rods.
Old 05-01-12, 05:57 PM
twoloose
Driver

Single turbo? what ecu?
Have a buddy running 800whp on stock GTE bottom. it shoud be strong enough. I am doing all the maintinance stuff while its out though, front/rear main, timing, water pump, cam seals, vavle seals, vavle cover gaskets etc...Going to be running the precission 62mm and piggyback.

Originally Posted by japspec
It will definetly be done right this time, using good parts and a great builder...

Originally Posted by puff
It's been almost 4 months since he bought the car and he's still driving it to this day. A lot can happen between then and now, I'm just saying.
Puff I don't really know what to say, I heard things after I bought the car from people that know the car and you in NY, and they weren't good. As far as the car running good for 4 months, I bought the car 1/6, on 1/9 I had to replace the front brakes and rotors, on 1/10 the boost issue started happening where you couldn't even run the car through the gears, on 1/26 we found out that the 2 rear cylinders only had 90 comp.(still having the boost issue then). Early march is when we figured out the boost issue. No hard driving between when I bought the car and when we found the compression issue, it wasn't possible because of the boost issue...Also remember the car was trailered home, not even driven...

Whatever the case, the car is being done to its full potential now....

Originally Posted by jetlifegs
Did you take these pics on instagram
Yeah

Last edited by twoloose; 05-01-12 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-01-12, 06:07 PM
twoloose
Driver

Update 5/1/2012

Here are some pics..

Intake mani all torn down, really dirty.

All cleaned up

Decided I wanted to paint it all up instead of leaving it silver..

All Painted

All ready to be installed

Pulled the vavle covers off for paint also, the motor looks good..

New fuel rail, they sent the wrong color, it was supposed to be silver...

New manifold arrived, had FE weld on new wastegate flange..

Thats about it for now, I need to start getting stuff back on the motor now...

Quick Reply: ****Official Twoloose Build Thread****