gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

removed those screws and plastic clips

Old 07-03-13, 10:49 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

got my puller..and set it up so I can first fold that lip before pushing that fender out.

IF you have new paint .. make sure you heat up that panel before doing any of these or your paint will start cracking ... I am not worried on my end cause this car will get a new paint job once everything is done on it.. With a few pumps on the puller you get a good roll on that lip. I have used a fender roller which actually costs more than this puller. This puller can do more and not even half the price the fender roller.

With so many different attachements .. fender lip rolling / flatenning is a breeze

Last edited by gerrb; 07-03-13 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-03-13, 12:26 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

In less than an hour , I was able to roll / flatten that lip against the fender. Again , if you are not painting your car after , you need to heat up that paint otherwise you will have cracks on it.

Without even pulling / pushing yet really that fender , I was able to tuck in the 11.5" tire . I am pretty sure pulling that fender which will be next will allow me to install at least a 12.5" wide tire in there .

Old 07-03-13, 01:28 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Before I go ahead , let me make a disclaimer :

My build threads are just threads to share with you what I do on my cars and hopefully encourage people to work on their cars even if their profession has nothing to do with automotives. The net provides a lot of informations you can use. But you need to filter and verify all these informations. Not everything you read from the internet is right or true. Read , read and verify , verify and verify what you read . Not because someone is doing it , it is the right thing to do. These build threads of mine are NOT tutorials or DIY threads trying to teach anyone. I am just like most of the people on this forum who do not know much but because of bad experiences decided to do it myself. So please, if you decide to do something similar, do it at your own risk. I don't want to be liable for anything on account of you following whatever you have seen or read on my build threads.

Ok .. now I need to pull that fender .. drew some lines outside , below the body line which means I will try to pull the fender below that .

I drew a line inside the fender liner where I will cut the inner liner so I can push that inner liner against and together with the outside fender . If you don't cut that liner , you will not be able to get a good pull out of that fender .

Last edited by gerrb; 07-06-13 at 02:55 AM.
Old 07-03-13, 01:35 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

looks nice and flush.. has anyone ever done a 12.5'' rear?
Old 07-03-13, 01:42 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tmf2004
looks nice and flush.. has anyone ever done a 12.5'' rear?
Once I have pulled those fenders .. I hope I can fit at least 12.5" wide tires on the rear . Which means , on my wide body project , I should go for at least 14" otherwise there is no point of having a widebody if I can only fit in 12.5" which should be doable with a pull.. I hope so .. will see how this pull will turn out
Old 07-03-13, 03:06 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I cut the inner liner and started pushing out that portion of inner liner together with the fender using different end attachments just to avoid creases . You have to do it slowly , over and over again on same area.... not a one time push ..

Since you are not adding any metal , there is a maximum you can push that fender out before you start damaging that metal sheet.

I am pretty sure now that even with stock suspension springs , you can fit 12.5" wide tires (315-320mm) if you give it a good pull just like I did. If you go coil overs , since the suspension spring diameter goes smaller , you will have more room on the inner side of the wheel well where the suspension is , so probably you can fit a bit more .. but 12.5" is very doable .

From the tip of the stock spring ..

To the vertical line of the pulled fender

So without cutting , pulling , welding that wheel arch to get it further , a 12.5" inch wide tires (315-320mm) certainly would fit and probably a bit more with coilovers . I have more than an inch from the fender to the 11.5" tire right now ..

Last edited by gerrb; 07-04-13 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-03-13, 04:19 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

This is what happens to your paint if you don't heat that panel with a heat gun while pulling the fender or rolling that lip. You get chips and cracks. IF you are painting the car like me then you should not worry about it then.

Just for comparison , here is the 11.5" wide tire on the pulled fender . Got at least 1" on each side of tire so I can definitely go 12.5" wide tire (315mm). I need to work more on that flare to get out those creases.

Here is the side in which fender hasnt been pulled and lip hasnt been rolled.. 11.5" tire is protruding at least 1 1/2" out .

Last edited by gerrb; 07-04-13 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-03-13, 07:55 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Dang Jerry, the progress is superb man. You should have no problem fitting the 12.5 rim and tire in there with the correct offset. I think you will be the first to do it. Have you thought about the paint color after everything is finished and tuned? What wheels and tires are you thinking about getting?
Old 07-04-13, 05:26 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Dang Jerry, the progress is superb man. You should have no problem fitting the 12.5 rim and tire in there with the correct offset. I think you will be the first to do it. Have you thought about the paint color after everything is finished and tuned? What wheels and tires are you thinking about getting?
I have seen threads on this forum having 315s even on stock TT wheels . So it definitely had been done before. And they didn't even roll or pulled their fenders. Just by using the right offset .

Check these threads :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ar-wheels.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-on-sc300.html

If they were able to do 315 without rolling or pulling that fender , does that mean I should be able to install wider since I have given that fender a roll and a good pull ? That will be nice to have wider and meatier tires . hmmm , will do more research on it then before deciding on the size of wheels and tires . I was leaning on the Welds RTS 15" actually at this point.
Old 07-05-13, 06:18 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Once I was happy with the shape and the amount of clearance I wanted which will allow me install a 12.5" wide tire packed with a lot of meat , got the magic of body filler to work . If hammering doesn't take out all the creases which am sure not every bit of it , applied body filler , sanded till smooth and ready for primer and painting ..

Old 07-05-13, 07:20 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

One more look at pulled and rolled fender compared to unpulled and unrolled fender

pulled and rolled -> this is basically the maximum you can go without cutting, pulling then welding . If some people with the right offset were able to install 315 wide tires without any roll or pull, now , with the right offset how wide can I go ? I am pretty sure I got at least 50mm wider clearance from the original ..It remains to be seen.

stock fender

Last edited by gerrb; 07-05-13 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-05-13, 08:09 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Jerry, is there anything you cant do?

You can run wire, put in relays, build a motor, sand, prep, buff, use bondo, get the wife to help, and more. Car looks great man. Exactly what rims are you looking at? I know they have to be very nice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys