Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Old 01-08-15, 04:17 PM
MishaV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sir,you are living the dream with all those badass cars and parts!
I just read all of the 172 pages. My eyes are burning like hell ><
But i just want to say this in my poor poor english since i`m from holland.
Mega respect for all the effort you put in your builds!

Keep it up.
Old 01-08-15, 04:34 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Gerrb I see you're working hard as usual. So baby girl is getting the Mercedes? Nice, definitely give her the keys before she asks to drive one of the Mambas! lol

steve
Yeap , my yougest girl requested for it and Daddy couldn't say no.. hahaha . But I will guarantee you once it starts having problem, I will get the first call telling me she is returning it since I am not gonna pay for maintenance.. hahaha.

Originally Posted by MishaV
Sir,you are living the dream with all those badass cars and parts!
I just read all of the 172 pages. My eyes are burning like hell ><
But i just want to say this in my poor poor english since i`m from holland.
Mega respect for all the effort you put in your builds!

Keep it up.
Thank you sir.

I guess me being fooled in the past and having bad experiences had forced me to learn and do things myself . And if done wisely , you can save tons of money .

Just a living proof that it is not rocket science. Though there is a lot to learn every day. It is always a learning process. We learn something new everyday. If someone is really determined, he can do it .

Again thanks for the compliments . Working hard in my younger years allows me to enjoy my life better now.
Old 01-08-15, 04:39 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

For someone who asked about the honing tool , torque specs and piston ring gaps :

I borrowed a local friend's honing tool who works for an auto service shop. Name of the honing tool was BRM Flex-hone Tool . For ring gaps, I just followed what is on the TSRM . The Lexus SC and Toyota Supra TSRM or service manual will always be your friend. Everything you want to know about our cars will more likely be there and the ARP bolts / studs usually come with a piece of paper indicating their torque specs . Otherwise, go to their website and you will find the torque specs of the model of ARP you are using.

ARP 200-2605 Rod Bolts - 65 ft-lbs
ARP 203-5405 Main Studs - 60 ft-lbs
ARP 203-4205 Head Studs - 80 ft-lbs

Used the ARP assembly lubricant below with those torque specs

Last edited by gerrb; 01-09-15 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-09-15, 06:45 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

The stock 2jzgte short block with all stock hardware had been known to have been dynoed between 900-1000rwhp. Installing all ARP hardware (head studs / rod bolts / main studs) helps a lot . This particular car would only be pushed to around 600-750rwhp in the future so stock pistons / rods will do the work so there is no point of having aftermarket rods and pistons.

More pictures during the short block assembly process... before the bolts / nuts had been torqued.

Main studs with ARP lubricant and hand tightened on the block

Old 01-09-15, 09:07 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I have been **** about checking torque specs since if you don't do them right you can either spun a bearing or do some damages because of sloppy work. I decided to check again the ARP mains and rod bolts torques using a different torque wrench just to confirm what I did yesterday before I install the oil pans.

Old 01-10-15, 05:05 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I can't stress it enough... engine assembly needs a good presence of mind. Today I woke up early to correct a mistake I did before I forget about it.

Last night while browsing on the last picture I posted above, I noticed that Mains Journal #7 cap is facing the opposite way. What was I thinking ????

I am glad I cought it . Effects if not corrected ? Maybe a spun bearing was imminent ???
Old 01-10-15, 08:01 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good catch! What am I looking at again? lol
Old 01-10-15, 08:15 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Good catch! What am I looking at again? lol
The last crank main journal cap is facing on the opposite direction. Bearings are kinda held in place by a small grove on the caps and engine rotates clockwise. If things are not properly installed , you can spin a bearing .

Observe the picture.. Main Journal #7 . The one I encircled which is the cap directional marker is on the right side where as, all the other six are on the left side facing the front / oil pump.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-10-15 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-10-15, 08:18 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Today I will start working on the 2jzgte Wiring Harness for this run around SC . For those who have never seen the harness thread I did before to help others , here is the link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...made-easy.html

I will do it differently though this time. From now on , for this and my other two remaining 2jzgte SC projects, I would like to hide wirings in as much as I can for a cleaner look on the engine bay.

Got to see if I can do a better job hiding wires when I work on these harnesses.. SC300 & Aristo 2jzgte.

On an Aristo 2jzgte harness, the filter and igniter wires are on the end of the harness / passenger side. I will hide these inside the passenger foot well near the ECU. Less wires going around the engine bay .. better.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-10-15 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-11-15, 04:31 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

After two weeks of not getting it started, decided to warm up Red Mamba One. Damn car wouldn't start... I managed to flood the spark plugs with fuel. Two weeks ago before Christmas while I was shopping for gifts, damn car left me stranded . I had to get my wife bring me my jump starter . I realized that my alternator wasn't charging the battery faster than the juice of the battery being used. With the two IS300 fans on low speed, my whole electrical system is using around 8 amps but with fans at high speed, it is at 24 amps so it was killing my battery

This is exactly the reason why I tell my local friends, if you can't work on these toys, not unless you have all the money to spend, it will be a very expensive toy to play with. A good running car , one day will just suddenly give you problems. If you don't know what to do , it will be a money pit.

Once I removed my coils, I noticed a lot of oil on the galley. My first spark plug was covered with oil when I took it out. Oil was sipping out of the cam cover I got welded before...need to get that done better. There was a time I overtightened the bolt in that area so I broke it. I was lazy to use the torque wrench then ...expensive lesson to learn

Got to get this welded valve cover below done better . But for now I installed the other chromed valve covers I had on the spare engine.

I love using Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil 20w50 .. damn internal parts of the engine are always clean..

Old 01-11-15, 06:52 AM
lilSCsteve

Great work Gerrb, and you're a 100% correct with learning to work on your SC...save big with DIY and increased knowledge basis. Yeah, so I'll be diligently tinkering in the bat cave for my pursuit of perfection. lol

steve
Old 01-11-15, 02:24 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Black Pearl patiently waiting for its turn to get the right drive train and wheel package

Being a 1997 , though a rare 5 speed, at times am tempted to sell it as a rolling shell since I can't seem to let go any of the 3 other 1992 SCs for which soon I don't need any emission tests. None of my built cars will ever pass . And these 1997 SC300 will take another 8 years before it is exempted from emission

Old 01-11-15, 07:33 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

First year SC...FTW
Old 01-13-15, 04:39 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Today I found good deals I would use on the Black Pearl ...

The bad b?tch on the block for now that would allow you 1000rwhp without the LAG LAG LAG ... a Brand New Precision PT6870 rated at 1100rwhp

They usually cost $2450 shipped with the divided housing...snatched this one for $2015 shipped

A brand new Titan Dampener and Weldon fuel regulator that where just used for mock up. Deals exist out there...just got to be alert , they don't last long .

Last edited by gerrb; 01-13-15 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 04:47 PM
lilSCsteve

Originally Posted by gerrb
Today I found good deals I would use on the Black Pearl ...

The bad b?tch on the block for now that would allow you 1000rwhp without the LAG LAG LAG ... a Brand New Precision PT6870 rated at 1100rwhp

They usually cost $2450 shipped with the divided housing...snatched this one for $2015 shipped

SCORE!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys