Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 11:52 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

As I said, for Red Mamba TWO engine bay theme will be different shades of black on a semi shaved RED engine bay with no ABS, relocated Fusebox and battery and will try to hide all wiring as much as I can.

I didn't want to ruin the chromed valve covers that are on the engine I am installing on the Red Mamba TWO so I bought a set locally through Craigs.

Sanded them down. Drilled the 3/8 hole with 45/64 so I can tap both valve covers with 1/2 -14 NPT for the catch can

Old 12-15-14, 11:57 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Painted them wrink;le black and cured them for around 30 min on the oven while my wife wasn't around . Cleaned the oven otherwise I will be in deep **** if she knows I used her oven for something for my cars.

After the curing ... damn these look good, exceeded my expectations. Am trying not to spend a lot on cosmetics so I am doing the work myself instead of getting them powder coated by the professionals. I would rather spend the money on go fast goodies. Heck $10 of VHT wrinkle plus and probably used only half of it compared to $100 if I got them done.

Last edited by gerrb; 12-15-14 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-15-14, 11:59 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Red Mamba TWO engine bay will look sweet once done. I am waiting for some Chrome Acura Bolts from my buddy Dennis (Jeslet) which I will use on that coil and valve covers to put some accent on the engine bay since it will all be different shades of black with a red bay.

Last edited by gerrb; 12-15-14 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-15-14, 12:15 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Looking good man....are you going for an all blacked out bay and adding the small touches of red?

Im biased toward a blacked out bay....

Old 12-15-14, 12:19 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Valve cover looks great! Will look better with those chrome bolts i will be sending you.
Old 12-15-14, 12:36 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Looking good man....are you going for an all blacked out bay and adding the small touches of red?

Im biased toward a blacked out bay....
Yeah nice bay. I figured since the other SC is all chromed out, my bay on this one will be red and everything will all be black.. just different shades. No metal looking stuff . The only very small chrome will be the coil cover bolts to put an accent. Just like this bay below except No Fiber looks and NO Metal looking stuff. Sides will be plain clean red since there is no battery , no fusebox and no ABS. They will be relocated. I will try to hide all wiring as much as I can.

Originally Posted by JesLet
Valve cover looks great! Will look better with those chrome bolts i will be sending you.
Can't wait for them man. I just have to finish my engine bay so I can drop the drive train in.
Old 12-16-14, 06:08 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Gerry - I like what you did pare. =) Has me thinking about doing something similar.

Do you by any chance have a link/more info on that engine bay with the carbon fiber IC piping? I'm curious if it's an overlay or actual CF.
Old 12-16-14, 07:13 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by soarer213
Gerry - I like what you did pare. =) Has me thinking about doing something similar.

Do you by any chance have a link/more info on that engine bay with the carbon fiber IC piping? I'm curious if it's an overlay or actual CF.
Thanks pare !

Here is the build thread on SF for that car that belongs to d_boy.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ght-the-wrongs.

Shaved red engine bay will really stand out if every thing on the bay has a dark color shade .

I am about to paint my catch can and brake booster a glossy black just like the coil cover and shroud.
Old 12-16-14, 08:50 AM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good man!!

Sneaky sneaky on using the oven lol
Old 12-16-14, 10:56 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Thanks pare !

Here is the build thread on SF for that car that belongs to d_boy.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ght-the-wrongs.

Shaved red engine bay will really stand out if every thing on the bay has a dark color shade .

I am about to paint my catch can and brake booster a glossy black just like the coil cover and shroud.
-- nice, thanks! As mentioned in SF, the CF was a custom wrap job with a ton of clear.
Old 12-17-14, 04:19 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow! Great work on the valve covers man! Can't wait to see her in his finished Glory! Nice!

steve
Old 12-17-14, 02:33 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i may have sourced a non-vvti engine out in cali, and it has the auto trans for ya!

i'll be going the non vvti route. do you have any tips for me on what to inspect when the motor arrives?

i actually want to request a video of what the cylinder walls look like... tell them to take the spark plug off, and stick a boroscope in there.
Old 12-17-14, 03:57 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by soarer213
-- nice, thanks! As mentioned in SF, the CF was a custom wrap job with a ton of clear.
You are welcome and I must admit those CF wraps are really nice.

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Wow! Great work on the valve covers man! Can't wait to see her in his finished Glory! Nice!

steve
Thanks Steve ! Eventually , we will get it done....

Originally Posted by irondonkey
i may have sourced a non-vvti engine out in cali, and it has the auto trans for ya!

i'll be going the non vvti route. do you have any tips for me on what to inspect when the motor arrives?

i actually want to request a video of what the cylinder walls look like... tell them to take the spark plug off, and stick a boroscope in there.
I may still get your tranny though I ordered 2 from a JDM dealer last Monday since I wanted to ship them to ATFSpeed before the holidays for a Stage 3 build. Once they arrive tomorrow I would bring them right away to a freight carrier actually.

I doubt if they will stick a boroscope in there to see cylinder conditions. If they can give you compression or better yet leak down numbers, then you will have at least an idea of the engine's health.

When it arrives, confirm the compression & leak down numbers by doing your own tests. Once you disassemble that engine, your warranty is probably gone. Buying JDM engines is a hit and miss thing . While it is out , you might want to replace some things anyway like oil pump , water pump and head gasket..... all ARP hardware (mains, rods , headstuds) so it will be ready for more boost. Replacing the valve seals would be a good idea since startup smoke is common to 2jz with some mileage.
Old 12-18-14, 02:21 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Picked up two Auto TT Transmissions

And sent them out for Stage 3 Build . My Red Mamba ATF transmission had been holding up really well so decided it will be better to have these two other rebuilt while the build prices are still good. A little bird told me that prices for rebuilding these with a billet 2nd gear sprag will go up since there are more and more getting them done.

After I went to Summitracing to buy some stuff for my builds and there was a nice toy on display right infront ..

Old 12-27-14, 02:53 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I received the chrome bolts from Dennis in the mail. They will be good accent on a black engine bay.

It is cold out there. But I found a good place to paint parts of my engine where it is warm and toasty... a bathroom that is not being used. Here I am painting the upper coolant elbow with wrinkle black and my IACV with high temp flat black.

Damn I couldn't bake the upper coolant pipe so decided to put it near a heater vent so wrinkle paint will cure well and still came out good.

Last edited by gerrb; 12-27-14 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys