95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-14, 09:53 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up 95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread

Stage 1. (Post 67 for NA/T content)
So, as many of you know I found a 95' Sc300 with 68K miles on it. I purchased from a seller in Kentucky and had it shipped to NYC.
The car finally arrived today.....
I had it shipped to my Aunt's house in Jersey because it was cheaper for the delivery guy not to pay the tolls coming into NYC. The car arrived around noon with a old convertible Bug riding shotgun. I paid the balance on the $600 shipping fee, he drove it down and we were done. I looked it over for 30 minutes, put the plates on than made my way to NYC after stopping for a petrol fill up. I was advised to drive it like a granny for a bit so thats just what I did.

I made an appointment with a mechanic I know to swap out the "not my style" 20 inch chromes with some Carbon Fiber and polished lip 18's I picked up in Ct. for some temporary fall and perhaps permanent winter duty. I also went to Autozone and got replacements for all the fluids I was about to drain and replace with the same mechanic. I also got loads of beautification products to clean her up while they worked on the wheels and fluids. Wheel freaks will likely hate these inexpensive wheels but I like them enough to enjoy them until I buy something they will hate even more..... Varrstoen, Meister or Equip reps, If I get the Meister reps, they will be gloss black with gold rivets. I have an Awesome set of vintage Work wheels on my 400. This car gets 'reps" until i find another deal on Work wheels.

A guy there offered to paint the calipers while the wheels were off for $30. I plan to put my new LS400 setup on this car so I agreed to the cheap paint job. He sprayed way more than I like sprayed in there...... but what do you want for $30? It looks pretty cool for stockies.

The wheel and fluid swaps went well and I took it for a drive up to the Bronx. Three people stopped me to compliment and discuss the car. The pictures don't do the paint on this thing justice.

Except for the hammer dent/marks from a man pissed off at the seller, it looks like a new car in the sun. It's looks are seriously impressive. It's the best original paint I have ever seen on an Sc...... period.

The ride went well and even better after I remembered how to keep a manual in the juicy spot of the power band. It's been years since I had a manual and I have seriously missed it.

The good is obvious so I will just list the bad as that is essentially a big part of what a build thread is all about.

The bad:
a) Cracked Windshield (hopefully fixing today)
b) 5 hammer marks that need body work (that will wait till essential list items done)
c) No remote key (calling Sewell tomorrow)
d) Spongy, bouncy but comfy suspension (ordering BC Racing coils for this car too)
e) One headlight and one running light is out, with no dash warning light I suspect the removal of the bulb and a more serious electrical issue. I will change the bulbs tomorrow to verify. I hope I am pleasantly surprised and they just work. If they don't, what should I start checking? (try tomorrow)
f) The passenger door lock tries to work but just jiggles a bit when I press the button. I'll replace actuator. (I will go see Gazy if he has one)
g) For some reason, the ignition is mounted an inch or so deep into the leather dash opening. I expected it to be loose in there but it was sunken in but solidly mounted. The circle around it has been removed but I have it. It's easy to get the key in there to start, but I want to know why its that way, and fix it. (this can wait till I find out what is wrong)

I'm putting in my order for another set of BC Racing coilovers for this car, and calling my fender roller, other than that I will do nothing but work through this list before any other "fun" mods.

The first "fun" mods I have planned is a Megan Racing Carbon Fiber roof spoiler I ordered last night.
A carbon fiber trunk.
55 watt 4300K HID's I ordered last week.
New clean lights I ordered from Gazy will go on and I will send these clean but leaky, wet ones out for a cleaning, a projector retrofit and a re-seal from a local service provider.
Black parts for my two-toned interior.
I will finally use my Shine sides, rear with my Wise rep lip sitting in storage. My platinum Sc will stay Stock with an OEM lip.

A few pics of the first day's progress....
Attached Thumbnails 95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-rear-kentucky.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-delivery.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-ugly-wheels-1.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-cf-wheels.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-promenade-side.jpg  

Last edited by Studiogeek; 09-16-15 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-14-14, 09:56 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

A few more piks
Attached Thumbnails 95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-rust-free-exh-1.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-rear-prom.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-rear-prom-2.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-rear-prom-3.jpg  
Old 08-15-14, 11:38 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I almost think I would've left the chrome wheels on until I found something decent. Overall though, looking like you're going to have some fun with it!
Old 08-15-14, 02:37 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a fun one, congrats on the new car.
Old 08-16-14, 07:39 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 99rx
I almost think I would've left the chrome wheels on until I found something decent. Overall though, looking like you're going to have some fun with it!
99, I couldn't leave those 20in monster chromes on the car for any more time then I had to. From an angle they look ok but from the side, they looked huge and horrible. I kind of like these wheels. I don't LOVE them but they will be fine for the winter. Maybe it's because I'm old (LOL), but they remind me of wheels that were popular "back in the day". I'm still going to get a sweet, modern set but I couldn't see putting 1-2K into wheels before I went over everything mechanical on the car. i got newish, clean, shiny wheels with Nitto 555 fat tires for $200. I had to jump on them and make the best of it. I will likely just put snows on them and beat them over the winter. I am over the carbon fiber thing already, so I will most likely 'plasti dip" them flat black. That will look better and protect them from the winter salt and ice. over the winter, after the car is perfect, I will spring for some great wheels for the summer.

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Sounds like a fun one, congrats on the new car.
Thank you shane! So far so good!
Old 08-16-14, 07:47 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Yesterday was a good day.
I fixed the headlights and running lights (just the bulbs). Got a great deal on 6 containers of toyota Red coolant ($60). Ordered another set of BC Racing coils, Prothane front end bushings, Figs steering rack bushings. I want this car to handle just like the blue one..... It is perfect! My 55W 4300K HID kit arrived yesterday! I will have those installed today as well!
I'm about to go try to find a new windshield for it now!
This list of issues is going to go fast!
Old 08-24-14, 05:56 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Exclamation Stage II

So......
I had my fenders rolled and shaved by a true craftsman. He is so good I drove 1 1/2 hours to see him in Riverhead Long Island. The guy that rolled the fenders on my 400 (and wrecked them) took less time for the entire car than this guy did to shave/roll one fender and the results speak for themselves. I will take pictures of the other job so our members can see how important getting the RIGHT guy to roll Lexus fenders is. Our metal is much heavier, and the holes in the lip presents a problem if you don't shave them..... I will make a complete thread about the fender rolling/shaving soon..

So far, in the 3 few days we:
1) Replaced the windshield
2) Did a full tuneup (except timing belt/water pump)
3) Flushed and replaced all fluids
4) Installed the 4300K 55W HID low beams
5) Installed the BC Racing Coilovers
6) Installed Prothane UCA and LCA bushings
7) Installed jegs steering rack bushings
8) Installed a Megan Racing carbon fiber roof wing (that came off)
9) Gave it its first wax in it's new NYC home.
Attached Thumbnails 95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-img_5164.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-img_5169.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-wing-fairtex.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-fit-1.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-side-.jpg  

Old 08-24-14, 08:16 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

T, man she's pretty clean! That CF roof spoiler looks good with the Red paint! What's next?

steve
Old 08-24-14, 08:39 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
T, man she's pretty clean! That CF roof spoiler looks good with the Red paint! What's next?

steve
Steve, Thanks!
(notice the CF wheels as well? I may grab a CF trunk also!)
NEXT:
Mild tint ( i realized how much night vision I was giving up in the blue car after driving this fishbowl at night).
Shine sides and rear, Wise rep lip and paint! (already sitting in storage)
Timing belt/Water pump
Two Tone interior (adding Black)
Serious Audio upgrade
99 Steering wheels for both cars (also in storage)
Mechman Hi output alternator and volt meter in dash.
BOOST from Oumar!!!!!! 1JZ single and R154 or CD009 after I kill the W58. (400-700HP.. undecided)

Last edited by Studiogeek; 08-24-14 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-24-14, 08:39 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

that's a super clean car, nice find, lol those donk wheels looked ridiculous on it.
Old 08-24-14, 11:03 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

the car looks great. Awesome progress, not wasting any time!
Old 10-07-14, 07:44 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

I've finally got the kit I want for both cars. My storage room is completely full with car parts (and musical instruments). And I have done the same to our tiny NYC apartment. I hope to have this stuff out of here and installed on both cars in the next week or two.

My wife is AWESOME! Look what i have done to the place! We are packing to move, but most of this is car parts right now.

So Far, ready to install it's:
1) New AC/Shine kit for Platinum 400
2) New Full Origin style kit for this car.
3) Used Black interior for this car and spare interior/exterior parts for both.
4) New Wise and 2 used OEM lips for spares.
5) New Genuine Vertex 25mm Aero fenders.
6) Several cans of SEM and some Black Plasti-Dip for trim, and tan accents on black interior..
7) 4, 3 spoke steering wheels to choose from.
Attached Thumbnails 95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-img_5400.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-img_5401.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-img_5403.jpg  

Last edited by Studiogeek; 10-07-14 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-07-14, 09:08 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Cheers to awesome wives! My wife let me do the same thing too! LOL
Old 10-07-14, 09:25 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Cheers to awesome wives! My wife let me do the same thing too! LOL
Ha! We know how to pick em'!
Old 10-07-14, 01:35 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

If you're willing to sell any of those 3 spoke wheels and an airbag, let me know...

Quick Reply: 95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread