Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

[Build] Chris's SC300 Drift Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 08:45 PM
DriftChris
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default [Build] Chris's SC300 Drift Car

I figured Id put my build here too and contribute in case someone wants to build a competition drift car as well. I only saw Alex Pfeiffer's build as well as AJ from Risky Devils car so I figure one more couldnt hurt. Ill be competing in the Vegas Drift ProAM series out here in Vegas. If you want to follow the build more closely because the Forum build might be slow because Im not much of a computer guy here are other ways to follow the build and my chase for a Formula Drift pro license.

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/chrisrtaylor08

Twitter
@DriftChrisSC

On to the Build...

February 23,2012

Just to catch you up i've had the car for about 8 months or so... I bought it for cheap from a dealer**** and it had a ton of problems from the jump but it was going to be a nice little street car project. I had already intended on building an SC to drift with so when it took a dump on me it ended up being my donor chassis and it sat for about 6 months when the motor blew. Heres the car right after I got it.

Name:  IMG_0766.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  186.7 KB

This car literally from day one was giving me problems. The car was on heated springs so the previous owner didnt relocate the harness and within a mile from driving off the lot it died! :[
I tore the car apart before I figured out the harness was toast THANKS CL!!!

Name:  IMG_0770.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  118.0 KB

Shortly after that was fixed I encountered another problem with the hood flying up and cracking the windshield on the freeway... Maybe the car is too low and problematic on cut springs...?

Name:  IMG_0784.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  85.8 KB

How can it get any worse you ask? Maybe I should have taken the car back... but I didnt I just kept plugging away getting stuff fixed. I bought some Stance GR+ coilovers with swift springs to make the ride a little more tame and then disaster struck again...

Name:  265916_10150246047187833_681942832_7546775_6573978_o.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  258173_10150246048522833_681942832_7546782_3380466_o.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  107.5 KB

Next up the power steering sprung a leak and one day on the way to work 3 studs broke causing me to replace all the studs in each hub... Just to be safe... Shortly after that my girlfriend was driving home from work and lost the brakes. Apparently it was a good time to have the rear driver side caliper bracket fly off and tear off the rear caliper from dragging so there went the brakes...

At this point and time I decided enough was enough and downed the car so I can use it as a drift car... So Im going to turn this rolling turd...

Name:  IMG_0812.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  203.9 KB

Into a baller *** drift car...!!! Stay tuned...
Old 02-23-12, 08:47 PM
phamxOC
Lead Lap

cant wait to see the progress
Old 02-23-12, 08:51 PM
DriftChris
Pit Crew

A little more catch up... During the downtime while I was stacking paper... I decided to pick up a few goodies along the way...

Then I started the process of tearing the car down and gutting it...

Name:  IMG_0875.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  83.3 KB

I just finished getting it down to a bare shell a few days ago... I just have to pull the motor and remove the harness and itll be getting ready for a good cleaning... then its cage time!
Old 02-23-12, 09:03 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that is the worst SC i've ever heard of.... hahaha.

GL with future build, I always like SC's that become 'race cars'

also more pics of the s14.5!
Old 02-23-12, 09:37 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, sorry to hear about your luck with the car. i am exited to see where this ends up though.
Old 02-23-12, 09:48 PM
alex425
Driver

Oh my god you make me feel lucky after all the **** that has happened to yours. Might as well call it the sc from hell build. Can't wait to see some more progress!
Old 02-23-12, 11:33 PM
scott101
Pole Position

good luck with the build, thats some brutal luck you had. car looks clean though
Old 02-24-12, 12:43 AM
Nickmyo
Driver

nice stuff here
Old 02-24-12, 06:37 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope Tabaka is reading this thread Good luck with the build sir, looks like its going to be a nice one.
Old 02-24-12, 07:00 AM
BigSticks
Lead Lap

yay more drift cars...
Old 02-24-12, 07:06 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

doin it right... gl on the build
Old 02-24-12, 07:19 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
I hope Tabaka is reading this thread Good luck with the build sir, looks like its going to be a nice one.
Yep, him and I got cars that were built on a Friday at 5:25pm.

My SC is a royal piece of junk that just sits on the street too bud

Stick around, read the DIY, and find faith in Tom Cruise. I've learned that no one will come to your rescue other than yourself. It only gets worse as you get older because all of your "mature" friends have left the car scene, and laugh cause you still tick away at a 20 year old car while they have M3's and AMG's. Hopefully you have a reliable daily driver, mechanical/diagnosing knowledge, and a big checking account. Best of luck with everything.
Old 02-24-12, 08:45 AM
DriftChris
Pit Crew

Thanks yall! Im excited too... Ive been a long time Toyota and Lexus enthusiast so I love these cars and wouldnt give em up for anything. I have some small updates coming today after work and I want to ideally try to update this on a daily basis... I know for a fact pics and videos will be on twitter on the daily...

@Tabaka: Yeah the DIY and the technical threads for the SC are kind of vague so I want to try to put as much detail in this as possible to help the community... Im a long time lurker and I had a lot of help here. I still like baller new cars too and Ill probably buy them when Im ready but Ill never give up my JZ powered cars lol When I was looking at a daily I was ready to buy a new 335i and I liked the car but I was like **** this **** Id only put a 2J in it and **** it up/impove it HAHAHAHA

Hahaha the 240 was the daily driver but that **** is a piece of crap so I downed it to fix it when im bored but I bought a 2GS and I like that car. Hopefully if I get a bit of extra money ill make a build for that too. Ive got a pretty good mechanical backing as an ASE master tech for a little bit and my money is kind of strong but I like a balance in life... I still have responsibilities!

Thanks for all the support yall and ill see you tonight!
Old 02-24-12, 09:25 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Yep, him and I got cars that were built on a Friday at 5:25pm.

My SC is a royal piece of junk that just sits on the street too bud

Stick around, read the DIY, and find faith in Tom Cruise. I've learned that no one will come to your rescue other than yourself. It only gets worse as you get older because all of your "mature" friends have left the car scene, and laugh cause you still tick away at a 20 year old car while they have M3's and AMG's. Hopefully you have a reliable daily driver, mechanical/diagnosing knowledge, and a big checking account. Best of luck with everything.

love this post.
Old 02-24-12, 01:21 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DLA-USA
my money is kind of strong but I like a balance in life... I still have responsibilities!
same here, but this car made me broke and life a living hell for several years now

The only thing that has truly helped was reading these forums and borrowing cars from family members when the SC is down .

Quick Reply: [Build] Chris's SC300 Drift Car