Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

I'm Back.....Again !!!!!

Old 04-13-16, 09:17 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Well boys and girls, good news and some bad.

I sent my car back to the shop with an oil leak at the new turbo. Basically going back to Austin the new turbo imploded and tore everything up including the freshly polished housing. Turbo was sent back to Precision for warranty as the turbo was new. I actually bought the turbo from a member here so this is where the story takes a change. Anyway, the turbo was sent back to Precision and they said it blew up because of back pressure and they would not warranty. My installer (Antonio Calvo from Calvo Motorsports) got into it with there customer service guy telling him it was impossible as the car was only making 13 pounds of boost and in no way could have had a back pressure issue as it only had less than 500 miles on it and running such low boost. They go back and forth and basically the customer service guy tells him they will not cover it and do what he has to do and hangs up. Antonio gets pissed and calls out Precision on facebook and there customer service and gets pretty livid. After the post had been up about an hour Antonio was contacted by the owner of Precision to find out what has transpired. Anyway, long story short, he goes and checks on the turbo, has a discussion with his customer service guy and tells Antonio they will take care of the problem. Now, here's where the kind of bad news comes in. The turbo history shows that it has been in three times for a rebuild. Same issue every time (journal bearings) as it was manufactured in 2012. They have since updated and parts aren't available anymore and even though it was a new rebuild it can't be fixed. Precision offers to replace with a new dual ball bearing and new polished housing at my cost. I'm not going to say what my cost is but it was extremely reasonable for what I'm getting. I will have to pay some for removal and installation but Antonio basically is covering that along with the cost of a retune. The forum member here that I bought the turbo from has also been gracious enough to cover some of the cost.

So basically in a nutshell my car is getting a new 6870 dual ball bearing turbo and a new tune for a lot less than I thought it was going to be after finding out not covered. Anxious to get it back now.

So thanks again Antonio and Harry from Precision Turbo. Another satisfied customer.

Shane

Last edited by SSmith; 04-19-16 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-27-16, 01:56 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Word to the wise, never ever, and I mean never add up all the receipts for what you have spent on your car.

Shane
Old 04-27-16, 02:22 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Sorry to hear Shane about what happened ! Sweet on the 6870 ....

I made 1050rwhp with a 6 speed and 920rwhp on an ATF Built auto on the PT-6870

I assume you have aftermarket rods and pistons ? The stock ones wouldn't be happy with that turbo once pushed up there.
Old 04-27-16, 02:53 PM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations! It looks great.
Old 04-27-16, 08:32 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Gerb,

Still on original GE block and head. We've got It at 425 rear wheel to save the Boost Logic tranny.
I'll probably never go into the motor so 600 or so will be my stopping point on E85 I imagine. I love the turbo, very quick spool. Car pulls very hard at only 425. The rest of the fuel system and everything else is capable of lot larger numbers. Transmission will be next purchase and then I'll see what I can get out of it on pump gas. Imagine around 500 or so will be it.

Shane
Old 04-27-16, 08:44 PM
DHenn
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just read the entire saga!

Well done Shane! I love the fact that you've built every enthusiast's dream car, but it still looks like it could have sat in the showroom like that.

Even the amazing custom trunk has the simple touch of still allowing for the manual fuel door pull!

This is a case study on how things NEED to be done... Take note Zilvia... lol
Old 04-28-16, 04:23 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmith
Gerb,

Still on original GE block and head. We've got It at 425 rear wheel to save the Boost Logic tranny.
I'll probably never go into the motor so 600 or so will be my stopping point on E85 I imagine. I love the turbo, very quick spool. Car pulls very hard at only 425. The rest of the fuel system and everything else is capable of lot larger numbers. Transmission will be next purchase and then I'll see what I can get out of it on pump gas. Imagine around 500 or so will be it.

Shane
Great .... with a good tuner , your stock internals will be alright at 600-700rwhp all day .

I love that turbo. It's my favourite for a street car . Just like you said ..."very quick spool" . It spools almost like that of the 67mm but it can get you into the 900-1000rwhp with the right supporting mods and spool doesn't suffer even at that power.
Old 04-28-16, 07:57 AM
SSmith
Instructor

DHenn,

I appreciate it. When I bought the car from SW (AKA Street King) I knew I was going to make some changes but I still wanted to keep the car pretty simple. Stereo was a must and we tried to bring the theme of the interior into the trunk to try and keep that 90's feel. Pretty much everything I've done I've tried to keep the car looking like it should have in the 90's with just slight upgrades.
I'm very happy with how it has turned out and it will continue to evolve. The NA/T motor will stay as everyone does a GTE swap or something else. I like the fact that it still has the original Boost Logic kit on it with newer upgrades. Big brake kit for front, new ATF transmission and a new EMS will be in the future. After that, I'll pretty much be done. Hell, who am I kidding, they are never done.

Shane

Last edited by SSmith; 04-28-16 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-28-16, 08:43 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

425 HP is pretty fun.....I havent had mine dynoed but id imagine im pretty close to the same power level...
Old 04-28-16, 03:31 PM
dricacho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really liking the look of the new bumper with the rest of the 97+ factory body kit. I'm about to get the same bumper too but I'm trying to visualize how much lower the front lip sits compared to the stock bumper. Do you have more side view shots of your car with the new bumper on?
Old 04-30-16, 09:34 PM
DHenn
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmith
DHenn,

I appreciate it. When I bought the car from SW (AKA Street King) I knew I was going to make some changes but I still wanted to keep the car pretty simple. Stereo was a must and we tried to bring the theme of the interior into the trunk to try and keep that 90's feel. Pretty much everything I've done I've tried to keep the car looking like it should have in the 90's with just slight upgrades.
I'm very happy with how it has turned out and it will continue to evolve. The NA/T motor will stay as everyone does a GTE swap or something else. I like the fact that it still has the original Boost Logic kit on it with newer upgrades. Big brake kit for front, new ATF transmission and a new EMS will be in the future. After that, I'll pretty much be done. Hell, who am I kidding, they are never done.

Shane
That's something that EVERY car person out there can agree on!.... They are NEVER done....
Old 05-07-16, 09:59 AM
hknubsauce
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always admired your build, keeping it NA-T. Will you complete the body kit (skirts, rear)?
Old 05-19-16, 10:11 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Well,

Not a lot going on lately. Decided to change my spark plugs. That was an adventure. First time I installed them I had to big of a gap so at high rpm the car was sputtering and having spark blow by. Regapped down to .024 and everything is great now. Original plugs were in horrible shape so car is running top notch right now. That's about it for now.

Shane
Old 06-27-16, 11:17 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Well, she hit the big 80K mark this morning A little depressed.

Name:  80K_zpsvzbne64f.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  163.4 KB

Shane
Old 07-28-16, 11:16 AM
BrokeEF
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Not to dig up an old thread, but WOW nice car man! Anything new with it?

Sean

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm Back.....Again !!!!!