Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

"economical" ...(or broke) meticulous college student daily driver build

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-12, 06:46 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "economical" ...(or broke) meticulous college student daily driver build

edit: major thanks to olt and prs22 for tons of information through pm and additional help!

in short ... I got out of the s14 when i moved into from a house into a condo due to security frets. Moved onto a 1GS which i lLOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVED. only problem is, I kept getting HIT!!!!!!! like by other cars. long story short after that was totaled out (and i got hit once last time) i moved on to this SC300, a car ive always wanted to own. So... i owned it... got over the coupe thing then decided to sell it. made offers to tons of wtb ads but i never sold, though it has slowly been growing on me.

anyways on to the progress pics: as i said im a full time + + student so I dont do anything too crazy and i tend to move slow with my progress.

how i got her

first mod cause im a ricer was hids. (second thing i forgot to mention is im strongly function over form, so i chose 4300k)

took it to the car wash to vacuum the filthy interior and assess the clear coat failure which is like.... a fourth grade drop out in a room full of physicists

cool random picture after printing stuff:

car had no maintenance records so i did a quick rundown inspection of timing belt teeth, looks fair game

and replaced other minor issues such as blown power steering hose sun roof loose driver mirror etc etc steering rack bushings etc

how i get my aggressive driving satisfaction since I no longer can track (bike) or drive a turbo'd car

tinted fogs. didnt like the white as much as i liked the yellow... so made a set of headlights which sold

blacked out high beam housing also.

made some abomination 50/50 tail lights. which ive started redoing( waiting for my new set for more down time)

tinted car. sold my g35 wheels.. then got some new ones for half the price ( totally didnt plan this)... test fitted those

they fit pretty weak. but im too cheap to get spacers so ill go with really fat tires. which means ill need a braided power steering line

2 toned the interior

so far my favorite thing about the two tone interior is the black volume /ac ***** i brought were from a 92 so theyre orange. it really flows well with the green lighting from my 97

did a crappy job rolling fenders. (this metal is thick as hell..) decided to call it quits until i'm ready to paint the entire car.. at that time ill pull them ( dont wanna leave too much metal exposed with paint chipping)

anyways next things on the list are
*install my coilovers ( i traded lexusftw) once they arrive here.
* nardi and steering hub adapter are also on the way in the mail
*black out the chrome trim on the windows (using blackout tape)
*install window visors
* remove yellow from fog lights and smoke them instead
* smoke clear corner thingies? whatever you call those
*finish tail lights once my replacement 92s come in... ill either redo these and sell them or redo these and keep them dependent on how i feel about the turn out compared to wearing smoked (automotive paint) 92 tails.
* once coilovers are installed. painting g35 wheels either a dark oem looking grey... or obnoxious metallic blue...actually im open to suggestions
* 5 speed swap if i can find someone who can lend me their garage or driveway and with access to an electrical outlet
*if i stumble upon ls400 calipers, sand blast/paint yellow and install

everything on list besides last two should be done before the week is over

anyways now i took some cellphone pics.. playing with contrast

also gonna black out/remove shields on high beams and throw in some es300 fog lights in there. aesthetics are all thats important

Last edited by greens14; 01-03-12 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 06:58 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

oh and as for the economical part I scored this sc seven weeks ago with all the minor issues, needing tlc:

car purchase price :2400
parts sold/ interchanged etc while in possession so far: 1812.23
amount spend on parts and mods/ helping above line: 631.48 + i received coilovers as a gift.

so yea.. im super cheap. if you dont see any awesome mods, its cause im lame
Old 01-03-12, 07:10 PM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What happened to the original tailights?

A year ago I got mine for about the same price, but ive easily doubled that in suspension, tires, battery, water pump, gaskets, spark plugs, control arms, two alignments, and a black interior swap

Looks like you started out like I did.
Old 01-03-12, 07:19 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

yea im on the same path! i think im gonna have to hire a friend who does alignments professionally to show me the ropes. I foresee myself doing them too often to not know how to do them myself!

and i sold the tail lights instead of ruining them. the chrome in them is too gaudy for my liking so decided to do 50/50 clears or tinted tails. whichever i like most once i get the wheels and coils on ill stick with!. tires have me worried though!

control arms do too! im struggling to find FUCA bushings for the 97.
Old 01-03-12, 07:31 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just don't know. It looks like you're turning a nice clean SC into a ricer 240.

Last edited by account2x; 01-03-12 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 07:35 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by account2x
You are really making the car look uglier and cheaper in my opinion but I guess it's your ride so do as you wish.
youre entitled to your own opinion, but im not really one of those angry retaliating types: so yea voice the opinions, in which manner? youre a fan of the chrome or bright headlights/tail lights etc. interior. do tell im interested. It wont affect the course of where im taking it but i am definitely open to other viewpoints!
Old 01-03-12, 07:50 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a k and n filter (got mine used on here for $20) and do a DIY BFI intake, havent gotten around to mine yet but cant wait to.

as far as blacking out your chrome you can get a can of Plasti dip synthetic spray rubber from home depot for $6 , mask off the area and use that it is pretty resilient
Old 01-03-12, 08:06 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Ive heard good things about "blackout" tape on the forums and already have it purchased, but the rubber spray sounds useful for some other applications, hows the removal process? i need something temporary as i plan on painting when the spring comes!
Old 01-03-12, 08:22 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

peels off without leaving any residue and it is resistant to multiple washes and road debris
Old 01-03-12, 09:49 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me tell you a story. I know this person who just got a brand new Prius. Now he wants to put red sticked headrests onto the vehicle. Cool right? Except he got the low-end model without Navi. Do you understand? He is overcompensating for not spending (more) money by spending (less) money. So I told him not to do it because it would just make the car look cheap(er). I guess maybe we all need to go through that phase of spending money on bad modifications....
Old 01-03-12, 10:02 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

I just don't know. It looks like you're turning a nice clean SC into a ricer 240.
lol I always get a kick out of accounts posts.

Your car is pretty nice as is I would be very careful about what you do to it.

Best bet would be to save up for a good set of wheels, since you already got coilovers on the way you dont need much more then that considering your on a students budget.
Old 01-03-12, 10:42 PM
uras300
Lead Lap

I agree to an extent. People used to (97+ parts were expensive back then and still kinda is) pay a lot of money to achieve that clean 97+ look.

You've mentioned function over form but you also say aesthetics are important..
Old 01-04-12, 04:28 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I like wat you did with the interior but those tails is whats killing it IMO. Otherwise your on a good path. Some wheels an a drop an u got a clean car
Old 01-04-12, 07:33 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, good job keeping the price down. I know the whole broke-a$$ college student thing, and you're doing a great job with it. Haha, car looks good too!

Last edited by pieisgude; 01-04-12 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-04-12, 07:37 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

I guess maybe we all need to go through that phase of spending money on bad modifications....
hmmm. i really do have no idea what youre talking about? at first i thought i could gasp but ? bad modifications ? because i dont like chrome im a ricer? i suppose this is over my head.

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1

Your car is pretty nice as is I would be very careful about what you do to it.

Best bet would be to save up for a good set of wheels, since you already got coilovers on the way you dont need much more then that considering your on a students budget.
we're on the same page. I never cut corners on wheels or suspension. I'm waiting for another set of kranze cerberus. until then ill be on the g35 wheels. and yea I'm sure ill be taking this car in the right direction ( or one i like) ... i just dont feel the need to dump money into something that might eventually be sold or wont be tracked aggressively. I just always keep in mind that youll never get out what you put in, so unless its something that really matters to me ( wheels or suspension) i'm highly conscious of what to spend. IE two tone instead of doing full black interior saved me probably... 600 bucks?

Originally Posted by uras300
I agree to an extent. People used to (97+ parts were expensive back then and still kinda is) pay a lot of money to achieve that clean 97+ look.

You've mentioned function over form but you also say aesthetics are important..
yea! form over function when applicable. I.e I wont slam my car on the ***** and compensate handling or unsafely stretch ( no offense stretch lovers) tires for maximum wheel poke just so i can tuck tire. I can respect the time and effort it takes but its just not my thing

Quick Reply: "economical" ...(or broke) meticulous college student daily driver build