98 GS400 Mod Journal

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-11, 09:58 PM
smooth0033
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 GS400 Mod Journal

Hi All,

I wanted to create a thread to introduce myself to CL members. I purchased my 98 GS400 w/ Nak Nav in Dec of 09 for about 5k. Since then I've done the basic mods like tinted windows and 20" wheels. Nothing big but everywhere I went I got complemented on how nice my car looks. No one believes it's a 98 model. Only had 1 previous owner and they must have been single w/ no kids or pets.

I joined CL when I had to find out how to program a new key I purchased from Sewell. I have to admit once I found this site I was just enamored with the amount of mods and the amount of knowledge available on these threads by the members of this site (I used to be a member of acurazine.com when I had my 04 Acura TL six speed and loved that site as well). So when my GS4 was recently in a fender bender, (my bro got rear ended by a suburban) I decided it was time to make some MAJOR mods to my ride. The accident took place end of Aug. 11.

Since the accident I've been researching on here trying to find the right suspension set up for me, right body kit for me, the right wheels for me, the right audio setup for me, the right exhaust for me & finally after months of reading and reading and reading and looking and googling and asking and wondering, just watching my car sit at the body shop and not being able to drive it. I have purchased just about near all the parts i want for my ride and its at AK1 in Montclair, CA with Chris who promises me that when this car is finished it will feel like new and look better than new!

First, Lets start engine:
New:
Radiator, Reservoir, Thermostat, Water Pump Kit, Timing Belt, Serpentine Belt, Power Steering Pulley, Valve Covers, Optima Battery, K&N FIPK, HKS Exhaust, Serviced the transmissions now 3 times this year so the transmission fluid is as pink as strawberries (had to chage a solenoid & sewell kept sending the wrong solenoid, Darrel @ Sewell listened to me and worked with me and finally got the right part to my hands in the process I helped them update their systems with the correct part no., now if you look on sewellparts online you will see a picture of solenoid no. 4.)

Suspension:
New:
Tein CS coilovers, Tein EDFC, TMEngineering Control Arm Bushing Kit, Lower Ball Joints, Steering Bushing Kit, Exact Motorsports RCA Front & Rear Kit, LS400 Brake Calipers, StopTech Rotors, TRD Blue Front & Rear Sway Bars, TC Strut Bars, 20" 3 piece Lsportline Model 2 wheels (20x10 in 285/35/20 & 20x8.5 in 245/35/20) (I want to thank "RMMGS4", I love the way his car sits and went with his setup)

Body
New:
VIS Speed Body Kit, VIS Carbon Fiber Hood, TRD Hydrographics CF Grill, Smoked Tail Lights, JLC Custom Built HID Projector Lights (Peter hooked them up!), Roof & Trunk Spoiler & Window Visors. AK1 in Montclair will be doing the full scope of work, from all the mechanical to the complete body work & custom black paint. I will be taking the car back to JLC in Monterey Park to get the head lights wired by them to get it installed properly.

Finally,
Audio Setup
New:
NavTool, Prestige 2-way alarm w/ Remote Start (wish I could get a luxlink), Removing tape deck and installing new flip out DVD hu, bluetooth, rearview camera, new component speakers (all four doors & purchased the car adapter pvc so it will be a seamlessly replacement), replacing the sub with a shallow mount fosgate and running the speakers off a kappa five channel amp, metra fm modulator. I'm taking a note from member "InpsiredGS" and making this install so i'm able to hook up my phone and watch netflix or hulu plus on my oem navigation screen.

The car should be finished at AK1 before Christmas and then off to JLC, then to WestCoast Tinting in Berdoo to let another Chris work on my Audio setup. I hope to be 100% complete by the beginning of the year and be able to come out to the So Cal meets w/ my new ride. I for sure will want to go to a couple in the 909 area.

Thanks for helping me out along the way even if you guys didn't know it. I appreciate all the help!!

-cLos
Old 12-12-11, 10:09 PM
shurian
Pit Crew

Very nice man , that's a huge work u will be doing, bodykit looks like a Vertex replica,but why after all reading and researching u choose K N intake and not an SRT?
Old 12-12-11, 10:42 PM
smooth0033
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shurian
Very nice man , that's a huge work u will be doing, bodykit looks like a Vertex replica,but why after all reading and researching u choose K N intake and not an SRT?
Thanks, the kit is a vertex replica but I didn't want to mention it like that because I did get it from the VIS warehouse here in So Cal. The fitment is not too bad and Rudy at AK1 is really good at making the fitment perfect!

I did read up on the intakes & K&N works best for me, due to the fact that K&N is located in So Cal and I got a great deal on it.. I got EVERY item for les than retail. I'm not big on paying full price if I don't have to or paying for shipping if products are located here in So Cal. I like to buy local, if there is a product I can purchase in house I will do that first.

-cLos
Old 12-13-11, 07:13 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Keep us updated. This is a HUGE overhall
Old 12-13-11, 07:18 AM
DubbStep
Pole Position

A beautiful car with a Lovely list of mods.....
Old 12-13-11, 07:43 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't wait to see this one....
Old 12-13-11, 02:20 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my K&N for 190 on amazon beats spending 600 on an SRT for only 10-15 more hp.

Power-to-Dollar ratio is always the best way to shop in this economy!!
Old 12-13-11, 03:25 PM
chknlittle
Pole Position

Nice list of mods ...itching to see the finished result...
Old 12-13-11, 03:42 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great overhaul.
Old 12-13-11, 03:47 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW! You definitely have the same disease I seem to have "up-grade-itus" its highly contagious, but unlike other diseases this is one most dont mind contracting....LOL Great list of mods, and hope to one day see you at our MNSM (Monday Night Sonic Meets) right here in the 909. Be sure and update your post with your progress!
Old 12-14-11, 01:31 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice list of parts! Can't wait to see them installed!
Old 12-14-11, 09:00 AM
smooth0033
Pole Position

Originally Posted by socal72
WOW! You definitely have the same disease I seem to have "up-grade-itus" its highly contagious, but unlike other diseases this is one most dont mind contracting....LOL Great list of mods, and hope to one day see you at our MNSM (Monday Night Sonic Meets) right here in the 909. Be sure and update your post with your progress!
I think I'm terminally ill when it comes to "up-grade-itus", my girl told me shes getting tired of me being continuosly reading and searching GS mods.... ha ha. I hope to have my car back & completed for the first MNSM of the next year. I've been on the MNSM thread alot lately and your group looks fun, wish I coulda made it this Monday to your last one of the year I love K1. I'll be heading to AK1 this afternoon so I will post photos of the work in progress.

-cLos
Old 12-14-11, 02:02 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smooth0033
I think I'm terminally ill when it comes to "up-grade-itus", my girl told me shes getting tired of me being continuosly reading and searching GS mods.... ha ha. I hope to have my car back & completed for the first MNSM of the next year. I've been on the MNSM thread alot lately and your group looks fun, wish I coulda made it this Monday to your last one of the year I love K1. I'll be heading to AK1 this afternoon so I will post photos of the work in progress.

-cLos
Nice! Glad to see you found us. Hope to see at the future 2012 MNSM's, and have fun at the track. Cant wait to see the final outcome from your boatload of mods.
I used to be SC400 boy, now I'm GS400 man!
This is what happened to my SC4 The H2 in the back ground is what did the damage he was on the phone and laptop what an idiot!:

And this is what I bought a week later I have big VIP plans for this baby:

I drive my wife CRAZY! researching all the available material for what ever project i'm working on so trust me when I tell you "I understand", so do not resist just go with it , because RESISTANCE IS FUTILE YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!!!........HA HA HA!
Old 12-14-11, 02:29 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

NICE...cant wait to see outcome
Old 12-14-11, 08:36 PM
smooth0033
Pole Position

That sucks about your SC4. That is a super clean GS4 though. Big VIP plans? huh any sneak peeks into those ideas?

Quick Reply: 98 GS400 Mod Journal