Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

SC400 CD009 Drift Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-18, 01:16 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Default SC400 CD009 Drift Build

What's up people! it's been a while since i've been on here because i didn't have an SC but i'm back. here's my old thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-geewwddd.html

My buddy wanted to build a drift car and i'm the one with a garage and the (some) knowledge so it works out.
Plan is pretty simple, gut it, CD009 swap, weld the diff and send it!

We're hoping to eventually turbo it but we're off to a decent start, even though the car doesn't start right now, there's no spark, fuel pump ECU is removed and running straight 12V but i'm not sure injectors are firing either. ECU is a little weird on the inside, there's some little spots on the board near the capacitors so maybe that's the issue. whatever though we'll figure it out.

we're also making a video series for the whole build so i'll be posting here and on the youtube channel as well. enjoy the tear down.
Old 11-09-18, 01:56 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Good start! can't believe those seats were so hard to remove
Old 11-09-18, 03:16 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Good start! can't believe those seats were so hard to remove
yea they were completely rusted to the floor. like i said in the video something really corrosive was spilled repeatedly down there.
Old 11-12-18, 07:31 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

episode 2 is up!

fuel line nightmare under the car. parts are coming in tmr so we'll fix that next weekend. we already acquired racing seats and a cd009 trans from on a 05 350z with only 57k miles.

once we fix the fuel issue we'll get it running no matter what is wrong with it and then it's all maintenance. intake gaskets have arrived (repainting intake), valve cover gaskets are ordered and distributor cap and rotor will be ordered once it's running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBD_AxImFeI&feature=youtu.be
Old 11-18-18, 12:55 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

so another update. fixed the fuel leak with rubber hose and a new filter, no more leaks. tried starting the car again and still nothing.

tested the igniters, they're ok, replaced the caps and rotors, wires are new, basically the whole ignition system is brand new so that's not the issue.

tried checking for codes but the CEL just stays on solid the whole time and that's where I'm stumped. pretty sure it should flash so my guess is bad ecu, it does look not exactly perfect inside it either. i need to find someone local to test with their ecu before i buy a rebuilt one or something or rebuild it myself, i can solder pretty well cz i build race drones which use smaller parts than anything in the ECU.

i also need to check the cam and crank sensors because there's quite a few leaks on the motor which could cause issues.
Old 11-30-18, 01:43 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

here's another update video, this was last weekend where we got the CD009 and basically just dicked around and cleaned some stuff up and took some stuff out.

Old 12-03-18, 05:00 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

here's the video from a couple weeks ago when we replaced the fuel filter, caps and rotors, and some other things.

Old 12-10-18, 06:33 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Latest video out, got another one coming in a couple days. ECU still hasn't arrived, apparently it got lost in the mail or something according to the guy i bought it from. So still not able to start it, really sucks because we wanna throw the exhaust on and cut the cats and everything out.

Old 12-28-18, 11:48 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

here's another update video to the progress. this was a couple weeks ago i took the stock seats apart and extracted the bottom brackets to reuse in mounting the new seats. i have another video coming out soon where we weld the bottom brackets into the car and try to figure out the no start more.
Old 01-08-19, 04:39 PM
AkumaUCF10
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sub'd here and on the tube's, looking forward to watching when I get home!

I'm currently building my SC300 for sliding thanks to a recent hit by a dump truck on the door my once beautiful SC is now tarnished soooo, drift car haha. PBM angle kit just got shipped, and I'm hoping I can use my old Battle Version inner and outer tie rods from my JZS161 chassis. What all are you doing for angle since that seems to be the achilles butthole of these cars?
Old 01-11-19, 11:07 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AkumaUCF10
Sub'd here and on the tube's, looking forward to watching when I get home!

I'm currently building my SC300 for sliding thanks to a recent hit by a dump truck on the door my once beautiful SC is now tarnished soooo, drift car haha. PBM angle kit just got shipped, and I'm hoping I can use my old Battle Version inner and outer tie rods from my JZS161 chassis. What all are you doing for angle since that seems to be the achilles butthole of these cars?
thanks for the sub! for angle we're not sure yet, either Figs or wisefab cz those seem to be the only options. i might try modifying the stock knuckles at first with some spares maybe, we'll see how that goes.
Old 01-11-19, 12:19 PM
AkumaUCF10
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
thanks for the sub! for angle we're not sure yet, either Figs or wisefab cz those seem to be the only options. i might try modifying the stock knuckles at first with some spares maybe, we'll see how that goes.
Of course dude! Always stoked to see another drift SC! And also to see someone that actually uses the forums still (I hate that everything is on Facebook now haha)... So I just had my stock knuckles modified by Parts Shop Max. They still have their jig from way back when that they developed for Dan's car. They don't advertise it but I'm sure if you called and asked them, they would do it for you. It was definitely a lot cheaper than wisefab lol, like $250 or $300? I'm gonna pop em in this weekend and I'll shoot you some pics if you want.
Old 01-12-19, 05:02 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

yea man definitely! didn't know that's an option that'd be sick instead of me trying to weld cast iron lol.

in other news, i got the new ECU to boot up. so with the key to ON i remove the EFI fuse, wait 5 seconds, put it back in and i get CEL from the new ECU.
The car cranks, has spark for like a second and tries to sputter and then just cranks continuously again.
i'm also able to check for codes now and i'm getting 14, ignition signal and 78 EGR failure. EGR i'm not concerned about, gonna remove it anyways, but the ignition signal i'm not sure about. Everything is tested and works. Both igniters work, both ignition coils are brand new, i'm gonna test every single spark plug wire tomorrow cz i've been at this all day basically today. Changed to brand new spark plugs today too, the old ones were covered in fuel.

Last edited by oldManTan; 01-16-19 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-13-19, 05:17 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Got the car running but it still sputters randomly when giving it gas. Still getting code 14 as well. Gonna check grounds and plugs and stuff then move on to diagnosing wiring if i can't find the issue.
​​​​​​
I'm a few weeks behind on editing so this video is like pre xmas lol. Editing the next one right now.

Last edited by oldManTan; 01-13-19 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 11:56 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

new video is up! more work on the seats done in this one.

Quick Reply: SC400 CD009 Drift Build