Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

Newb - 03 GS430

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-21, 09:28 AM
GSnewb
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newb - 03 GS430

Hey guys, long time car guy (Nissan) but first time in the Lexus/GS world. I haven't been on the forums in years, but once I picked this 2003 GS430 up I started back down the rabbit hole so bare with me, this is first build thread I've done in years. Just picked this car up about a week ago and it has about 200k on it. Overall, a super clean car, but like most this age it needs a little TLC. I don't have any major plans so far, mostly trying to get it as clean as possible. Starting with replacing the factory head unit and adding an independent amp to go with the already upgrade subwoofer. I plan on doing as thorough an install thread with pics on this as possible since most I've seen are not very detailed. Along with that this car needs new door lock actuators, the RF strut bearing is noisy, the drivers front seat leather is torn pretty good as well as the console(already ordered a replacement lid), and the exterior needs some work even as good as it looks already. So plan on compounding, polishing and waxing the exterior and the headlights need to be refinished. Look forward to collaborating with you guys!

A couple things I'm looking for some input/pics on:

Where is everyone installing there Amp in the trunk? I want it to be tucked away as best as possible.

Need to replace the drivers front seat belt and trying to find one that isn't dealership expense or from a junk yard, any recommendations?

Any recommendations on replacing the seat leather or good leather seat covers?

Old 08-27-21, 06:51 PM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

Car looks pretty clean. Sounds like you're finding pretty common issues for cars with that mileage.

Check out Clazzio seat covers. I've heard good things. Otherwise, local upholstery shop $$ or if you're handy, swap some different model seats in.
The following users liked this post:
GSnewb (08-30-21)
Old 08-28-21, 08:01 AM
steamboat1
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a set of Black Leather Seats from my 03 Aristo in close to perfect condition. They don't include the lower plastics or rails but you already have those.
They are free to you BUT you would need to pay for shipping if your interested?

GSnewb (08-30-21)
Old 08-29-21, 05:22 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

Nice looking car. I'd start with the seats and arm rest too. Will make for a very clean and complete look. As for the sound system, there are some tricky things to learn about with the factory head unit and amp wiring. You'll want to read up and watch videos on how to modify the wire harness to accept an aftermarket amp. You can use the factory location behind the glove-box for your amp if you remove the original and keep it to a reasonable size.
GSnewb (08-30-21)
Old 08-30-21, 06:19 AM
GSnewb
Driver School Candidate

"I have a set of Black Leather Seats from my 03 Aristo in close to perfect condition. They don't include the lower plastics or rails but you already have those.
They are free to you BUT you would need to pay for shipping if your interested?"

Thanks, I am interested. Do you know what shipping is from your location to Atlanta, GA?
Old 08-30-21, 07:48 AM
GSnewb
Driver School Candidate

Just a quick update. Over the weekend I installed a new head unit and mono amp. The previous owner already replaced the factory subwoofer with a JL. After searching the forums and the great google machine I thought I was going to be able to "easily" bypass the factory amp to do the install. Turns out my factory amp was located in the trunk instead of behind the glove box. After spending way too much time looking for the right wiring diagram I just said to hell with and made my own harness. Got 100' of 16 gauge speaker wire used solder/heat shrink crimps ran my wires from the new head units pigtail. Made the front speaker wires 10' and the rear speaker wires 20'. Ran the wiring through the car along the factory harness wiring. Then I cut the wires to fit once I got to the factory speakers. Once I got in to the door panels I saw the factory speakers were pretty spent so I will be replacing those in the near future. But in the mean time I have my speakers power by the head unit and and independent mono amp for the subwoofer. All-in-all installation wasn't too bad. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics during install, hard to do with a 2 year old climbing through the car while you work lol. But I am going to try and do a basic install thread at some point to try and show everyone. May wait until I install the speakers so I can take some pics and have some visuals. Also, as temporary fix, I picked up faux leather patch kit for the front seat. Got it off of Amazon for $20 and comes with 4, 12x24 sheets. Big enough to cover the whole center section of the seat bottom and is way better than what was there.

KyleH (08-30-21)
Old 08-31-21, 08:22 AM
steamboat1
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Shipping to Atlanta from Canada is very expensive ($500.00 + Duty, etc) so I think you would have better options locally. Sorry with the border closed things are getting expensive plus its a big heavy box.
FYI.. Rock Auto has brand new, Bolt On, Center Armrest Covers that are excellent and cheap as well! I bought one for my old Aristo and it was perfect and factory fresh! Check them out I know they have black in stock and they are less than $100.00.
Old 08-31-21, 09:10 AM
GSnewb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steamboat1
Shipping to Atlanta from Canada is very expensive ($500.00 + Duty, etc) so I think you would have better options locally. Sorry with the border closed things are getting expensive plus its a big heavy box.
FYI.. Rock Auto has brand new, Bolt On, Center Armrest Covers that are excellent and cheap as well! I bought one for my old Aristo and it was perfect and factory fresh! Check them out I know they have black in stock and they are less than $100.00.
Thanks for checking that out and making me that offer. And thanks for the heads up about the Console Lid too. Buying one today!
Old 09-22-21, 07:05 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 175 Posts

I believe the consensus with other posters was that Lseat was the best option for a replacement seat section. They have leatherette for $124 or the real stuff for about $140 and they have ads all over eBay.