Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

ProjectGS: My GS-F Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-11, 01:35 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Just gone through 5 pages worth of engine ****. Freaking mental!
Old 12-28-11, 01:45 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

this is just pure madness !! LOL. if i can have at least 1/4 of ur skills Jeff....
Old 12-28-11, 04:21 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ElitistK
Jeff, did you need to drill and tap the engine block to install the oem gte oil cooler on the na-t setup?
The GE block has a threaded plug in same spot as the GTE nipple is. It's a BSE thread pitch not NPT, I pulled the plug out of my GE block to plug the hole in my GTE when I ditched the oil cooler assembly to relocate the filter.

You can interchange the cooler mount or filter only mount between engines. You just have to use the GTE heater tube for the return line, or you could alternately just Tee/Wye the heater core return line with the cooler return which is all the GTE heater tube around the block essentially is doing.
Old 12-28-11, 06:58 PM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Crazy... Can't wait to see the dyne numbers and track time.....
Old 12-29-11, 09:42 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
The GE block has a threaded plug in same spot as the GTE nipple is. It's a BSE thread pitch not NPT, I pulled the plug out of my GE block to plug the hole in my GTE when I ditched the oil cooler assembly to relocate the filter.

You can interchange the cooler mount or filter only mount between engines. You just have to use the GTE heater tube for the return line, or you could alternately just Tee/Wye the heater core return line with the cooler return which is all the GTE heater tube around the block essentially is doing.
Good info
Old 01-01-12, 09:20 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Busy for the past few days. Didn't get to spend as much time on the project as I would of like to. Just got back into it today.

Updates: 1/1/2012
I think I'm the first one in the world to do this. I don't have 100% confirmation, but I have scoured the net and have not found anyone that has successfully transplanted IS-F seats into a GS300. All the electronics, motors, and everything works in this seat(seat heater, tilt, lumbar, slide, etc)!

If you remember the IS-F seats I was working on before. I had them mocked up, but not 100% installed. I spent almost the entire past 2 days trying to get the freakin' seats to work in the car!

Each seat has 4 brackets. 3 of them have to be custom chopped, welded, modified.

Here's the most PITA one to do. The back inner brackets both have to be moved over 32mm.

Flipped the seat upside down so I can weld the brackets on. I was initially just going to fasten them with bolts/nuts, but I didn't want to risk the seat come out in case of a wreck lol.

TIG welded on the bracket, not the cleanest look but it's extremely strong. I was going for strenth rather than pretty. The back has been reinforced and one extra ribbed brace added.

It doesn't look as bad once painted. The other 2 brackets I had to modify were welded on at this point as well, but I forgot to take pictures.

Now, it's time to start on the drivers seat. Fun time to wire this thing up....NOT! The freakin' IS-F seat wiring diagram is like 10 pages long. That's almost as long as the wiring diagrams for some engines lol.

From the rats nest above. Combined the GS300 seat control ECU and merged the harness with the IS-F control module and seat control motors. Was a fun(sarcasm) project to do the wiring

Driver seat finished and ready to bolt into the car. From start to finish(wiring, brackets, testing, etc), it took around 10 hours per seat!

Making sure rear brackets sit flush.

Bolted in the car.

A silhouette of the F badge

A shot from the other side.
Old 01-01-12, 09:34 PM
runyun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^insane it took that much work to make the seats fully functional
Old 01-01-12, 11:11 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I bought these seats from someone else that was attempting to get them working. He was actually going to put them in a old school Challenger. He couldn't get it to work so he gave up and I convinced him to sell them to me.

The wiring was a nightmare. Well, actually the wiring wasn't the worst part. Figuring out how the seat control ECU communicated with each other and getting them to play nice was the hard part. Everything on the IS-F seat is multiplex and CAN-BUS communications. Luckily I'm an electrical engineer or else I probably would of given up as well lol.

I managed to get everything working right. Heated seats, slide, front tilt, vertical height, recline, lumbar, seat belt warning, occupancy detection sensor, and seat side airbag. I didn't get the memory seat on the driver seat working yet. I don't think I will try either, involves a ton of custom pickups and triggers, and just really not worth my time(I can probably get it working with another 15-20hrs of work). I rather get the engine dropped in and start driving rather than worry about memory seats.

See all those pieces of paper on the floor. Those are the wiring diagrams for the seats and they are printed on both sides of the paper. So a total of around 10 pages or so!

Last edited by JeffTsai; 01-01-12 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-01-12, 11:44 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

i must say they fit perfect in the GS...nice work jeff
Old 01-02-12, 12:52 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

damn those seats are money! nice job.
Old 01-02-12, 02:36 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Yeh, it was a PITA to do, but it was well worth it at the end. The car feels so much different now.
Old 01-02-12, 02:38 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

those look fantastic jeff....wow

they have SRS in them like our gs does?
Old 01-03-12, 02:31 AM
Jaik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speechless man, you are a god among men.
Old 01-03-12, 05:59 AM
7wolf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love these seats in my GS. Looks awesome. Great job.
Old 01-03-12, 07:25 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice work Jeff.

Quick Reply: ProjectGS: My GS-F Build Thread