A few, but not too many lol.
Old 02-19-13, 10:18 PM
LexFather

Dude just insane!!!!
Old 04-11-13, 01:25 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Some updates of what I've been doing these last few months. I've had a crazy past few months. Insane amount of projects, and we were trying to get ready for TX2K13. We didn't make it though. Not enough time to finish everything before we could roll down haha

Just a picture of all the stuff we had lined up.

Local guy Steve. His turbo GS build. Just a few random photos here. I'll let him post up the rest on his own build thread. This is how it came to me.

Head removed from car. Sent it off to my friends machine shop to get decked and pressure tested.

Received the head back from machine shop. Ready to go back on.

Almost done with everything. Turbo, IC, and some piping finished up. Still have ECU and some piping left to finish. To see the rest, goto his build thread.

My friend Culver working on his car with some assistance from me. He started out with a bone stock IS300. This is a few days into the build. Pulled the engine and tore down everything. Cleaned it all out, and he's working on the ABS relocation.

Building the shortblock. This car is going to have copious amounts of boost thrown at it. Target power level approx around 800whp + 100 shot nitrous on top. Should be a little bit of fun in a street driven IS300

Bottom end assembled. Head gasket and studs installed. Head is ready to go on at this point.

Everything bolted down, and engine timed. Turbo is one of my spare ones. We just threw it on there for a nice picture. He's going with a Comp Turbo CT43-6765 Billet Oil-Less unit.

This is a week or two later. Everything is running. Took it to our friends shop to throw it on the lift and do some final inspections.

At friends shop. They're building a fully forged Subaru WRX block for a customer.

Pulled it out of the shop. Topping up with coolant and doing some final checks before we go out for a tuning session.

I had to make a pit stop in California to tune Adam's GS. You can find his build thread somewhere in the forum.

Some various turbos going into a few future builds coming up this month and next month. Ugh...it's going to be hectic.
Old 04-11-13, 01:51 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Now for some updates on the GS-F:

So I was backing out of my friend driveway and caught the edge of the bumper on the curb. Needless to say, the previously molded on TTE lip was ripped off. I used bondo previously to install the lip, so the bond was not that strong. I'm doing it right this time around and using SEM ultra high strength plastic bonder and Evercoat PolyFlex filler. It should be able to withstand a few smacks without getting ripped off the car. At least I hope lol.

Yes Brian, the TTE lip is a replica. I couldn't find any real ones so I had to settle

Lip is bonded on with high strength SEM plastic bonding adhesive. I tested it, and it works awesome. I bonded it, let it cure for the specified time, and then proceeded to throw the bumper across the garage. The lip didn't budge

Close up of the SEM adhesive. You need to roughen up the mating surfaces to give the adhesive something to grab onto. Then you flame treat the plastic to help bonding. All I know is that it does a heck of a job. I threw it across the garage, it landed on the floor and the lip was still held tight.

Smoothing down the adhesive and getting ready to put down the PolyFlex body filler.

First layers of filler applied. Sanding everything down smooth.

Almost there, need to skim a few more light coats for final shaping.

Might have gone a little overboard on the coat, but oh well lol.

Filled up the previously drilled license plate holes as well.

Fully sanded and feather-edged.

Another angle of the completed product. Ready to lay down the primer and sealer.

Primer sprayed first, then a coat of sealer was sprayed.

Base coat sprayed on. It's hard to see, but it has very nice metallic flake in this paint. Color is graphite grey pearl.

Clear coat applied. This is with about 3 layers of clear.

Close up of the finish. Not bad for a garage paint job I guess lol.

Bought a brand new AEM EMS v2. Going to put in this car. I'm upgrading from a v1, apparently the v2 has E85 flex fuel support. So I'm going to be taking advantage of that function when it's released.

Now proceeding to take it apart to do some internal moddding. Have to change it up so it can accept the 2JZ VVTi sensors and triggers. How many people open up a $1500 ECU as soon as they receive it? Raise your hands!

Picked these up while I was in California tuning Adam's car. These should go nicely on a 2GS. I think I'm probably the only one in the world to put these IS-F F-Sport BBK on a 2GS

These babies are going in the car. They're much smaller so it will give me a little bit more room to work in the engine bay. However, the main reason for upgrading is their pressure holding ability. I'm aiming for around 40psi boost. These new wastegates should stay shut under the newfound pressure.

Tearing the motor out. Going to do a few internal upgrades here in the next week or two. Aiming for a bit more power so I will have to strengthen the bottom end. Stay tuned!

Last edited by JeffTsai; 04-11-13 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-11-13, 05:51 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good Jeff, although that V2 E85 support is on the same page as the MKV Supra coming soon. I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Looking forward to seeing what your car and Adam's car can do at the track. We need to put up some quick times to represent. I was at TX2K13 and was looking for your car there. I'll be there next year with my GS.
Old 04-11-13, 08:34 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm stealing those pics of my car for my build thread. That molded-in lip looks great. Nice work!
Old 04-11-13, 09:57 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Yes Brian, the TTE lip is a replica. I couldn't find any real ones so I had to settle
hey now, i said nothing lol

Bought a brand new AEM EMS v2. Going to put in this car. I'm upgrading from a v1, apparently the v2 has E85 flex fuel support. So I'm going to be taking advantage of that function when it's released.
i just always heard AEM really never put out half the updates the say they are gonna put out, why not use a motec Jeff? you should be easily able to tune one
Old 04-11-13, 05:38 PM
marcus23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice work!!

i tried to pm you about the brake setup, but your box is full. i had some noob questions to ask lol.
lastly, dibs on the brembo gt kit if youre selling it.
Old 04-12-13, 01:52 AM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

damn jeff, youre killin it. love the tte molded in
Old 04-13-13, 01:27 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sakataj
i just always heard AEM really never put out half the updates the say they are gonna put out, why not use a motec Jeff? you should be easily able to tune one
Yes I have tuned Motec in the past. While it is a very good system, I just didn't feel like spending $6000-8000 on an ECU. Instead I'm putting that money into the 3.4L going into the white GS
Old 04-13-13, 08:31 PM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice Jeff. One of these days I will have to link up with you.
Old 04-15-13, 08:21 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Yes I have tuned Motec in the past. While it is a very good system, I just didn't feel like spending $6000-8000 on an ECU. Instead I'm putting that money into the 3.4L going into the white GS
but if you cant control all the parameters of the engine that you want, what good does it do to build a better/faster/stronger motor.

i mean im assuming the AEM obviously lets you do about 90% of what you really wanna do then its probably good enough for the builds so i guess it does make sense
Old 04-15-13, 08:54 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sakataj
but if you cant control all the parameters of the engine that you want, what good does it do to build a better/faster/stronger motor.

i mean im assuming the AEM obviously lets you do about 90% of what you really wanna do then its probably good enough for the builds so i guess it does make sense
It allows me to control everything I need to. I can easily lay down way past the 1krwhp+ mark with the unit. Hell, there are some guys making 1500+ on the V1, and that unit has less features than the v2 lol. The V2 is pretty versatile and can do everything needed. This car runs on E85 full time year round, so I don't really "need" the Flex Fuel support, but it would be nice for the one or two times I do take a road trip throughout the year. Doesn't really matter because when I do go on a roadtrip, I just upload the pump gas tune into it so I can fill up at normal gas stations. It literally takes 5 seconds to do it so I'm not too worried.

Worse case scenario, I can upgrade to the AEM Infinity Standalone or Pro EFI. I'm part of the AEM dealer network, and I'm at warehouse distributor level for almost every single aftermarket company out there. So I can get any ECU I want, but the EMS v2 does everything needed for under $1k...for me at least
Old 04-16-13, 10:42 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

It allows me to control everything I need to. I can easily lay down way past the 1krwhp+ mark with the unit. Hell, there are some guys making 1500+ on the V1, and that unit has less features than the v2 lol. The V2 is pretty versatile and can do everything needed. This car runs on E85 full time year round, so I don't really "need" the Flex Fuel support, but it would be nice for the one or two times I do take a road trip throughout the year. Doesn't really matter because when I do go on a roadtrip, I just upload the pump gas tune into it so I can fill up at normal gas stations. It literally takes 5 seconds to do it so I'm not too worried.

Worse case scenario, I can upgrade to the AEM Infinity Standalone or Pro EFI. I'm part of the AEM dealer network, and I'm at warehouse distributor level for almost every single aftermarket company out there. So I can get any ECU I want, but the EMS v2 does everything needed for under $1k...for me at least
ah i gotcha, i didnt realize you had access to everything
Old 04-16-13, 11:30 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

car looks sick Jeff.. thanks for the updates...

Quick Reply: ProjectGS: My GS-F Build Thread