Old 06-03-13, 12:06 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pics!
Old 06-11-13, 03:16 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

more studio parts acquired! i need to get new ball joints before installing these. what should i get, OEM or aftermarket moog, etc?

Old 06-11-13, 05:15 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

timmy can you pos ta DIY on the ball joint replacement?
i probably need to replace mine also
Old 06-17-13, 10:29 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
here is my wheel of choice, SSR Vienna Kreis for that original VIP look that i am going after, and yes i have the center caps as well. lots of work went into cleaning the wheels w/o actually fully disassembling them. the diamond cut faces though slightly oxidized are all original.
19x9 +6 hi disk to clear the calipers
19x10 -1 lo disk for maximum lip
What did you use to polish the lip of the wheels? They look a lot shinier than mine and I paid someone to do it.

The car looks great btw.
Old 06-17-13, 11:23 AM
timmy0tool

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
What did you use to polish the lip of the wheels? They look a lot shinier than mine and I paid someone to do it.

The car looks great btw.
long, the lips were professionally done by the previous owner before i purchased them so i couldn't tell you what products were used. the shop was in norcal somewhere too so the information is lost. i've had another set of wheels done by wheelflip, and the lip polish isn't as consistent and shiny as these viennas. i'm amazed myself!

i'm sure over time they will dull out so i must have a good upkeep to them. what products do you recommend on raw metal like this?
Old 06-17-13, 11:38 AM
Mr.Doback
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would stick with OEM, after being super low static, my old ucf30 ball joints started leaking and I went with oem, worked perfectly and no issues after, even with current owner at the same ride height.

Also - Car looks amazing.

Old 06-17-13, 12:59 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

long, the lips were professionally done by the previous owner before i purchased them so i couldn't tell you what products were used. the shop was in norcal somewhere too so the information is lost. i've had another set of wheels done by wheelflip, and the lip polish isn't as consistent and shiny as these viennas. i'm amazed myself!

i'm sure over time they will dull out so i must have a good upkeep to them. what products do you recommend on raw metal like this?
I've used mothers mag and aluminum polish (cheap, effective, and easy to use), surf city garage metal polish (worked a lot better than I was expecting it to), and an older version of menzerna metal polish (works great, but kind of tough to work with).

These wheels were done with surf city:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3723/9...72f525ec_b.jpg

Menzerna on my exhaust:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...s/DSC02490.jpg
Old 06-17-13, 01:38 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Any update on the install of the studio rca?
Old 06-17-13, 02:03 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

more studio parts acquired! i need to get new ball joints before installing these. what should i get, OEM or aftermarket moog, etc?
Moog quality has been falling fast lately, I can't believe that so many formerly great companies are ruining their reputation by slapping their name on crap just to stay cheap and yet make a huge profit, not a smart plan long term - people would pay for parts that are better than Chinese junky but not quite OEM level.

I wish I knew who that brand is right now, but it's not Moog

go OEM if you can afford it

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 06-17-13 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-17-13, 09:25 PM
implayaz9
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sick.. I just picked one up too.. cant wait to drop it!
Old 06-17-13, 10:28 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

what products do you recommend on raw metal like this?
same product you hopefully are using to to wax your car!

you know, the 9227, what they use on Ferraris!

new to an LS400-qsz8dkk.jpg
Old 06-18-13, 01:08 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS

I don't know if I would use a makita to wax my car. I've always preferred to do that part by hand.

I'd imagine using a makita inside the lip of a wheel would be pretty tough to control.
Old 06-19-13, 04:42 PM
timmy0tool

Originally Posted by Mr.Doback
I would stick with OEM, after being super low static, my old ucf30 ball joints started leaking and I went with oem, worked perfectly and no issues after, even with current owner at the same ride height.

Also - Car looks amazing.

thanks for the response and kind words. i will definitely go OEM.

I've used mothers mag and aluminum polish (cheap, effective, and easy to use), surf city garage metal polish (worked a lot better than I was expecting it to), and an older version of menzerna metal polish (works great, but kind of tough to work with).

These wheels were done with surf city:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3723/9...72f525ec_b.jpg

Menzerna on my exhaust:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...s/DSC02490.jpg
mag and alum i've used before and i still have some left. that will do for now. where can i get the surf city stuff?

Originally Posted by Dranom
Any update on the install of the studio rca?
i'm ordering the balljoints soon. when i have them in i will be installing the RCAs. i'm pretty sure they will make my wheels poke out more though. we'll see.

Moog quality has been falling fast lately, I can't believe that so many formerly great companies are ruining their reputation by slapping their name on crap just to stay cheap and yet make a huge profit, not a smart plan long term - people would pay for parts that are better than Chinese junky but not quite OEM level.

I wish I knew who that brand is right now, but it's not Moog

go OEM if you can afford it
thanks for the recommendation, i appreciate it. i will go with OEM as i have not found any MOOG or other brands other than Beck Arnley. the price difference is so far though, but i'd rather pay more than risk a catastrophe. hopefully toyota revised their ball joints to be stronger.
Old 06-19-13, 04:46 PM
timmy0tool

i'm in the market for a DA instead of a full on rotary at this point. i'm not skilled enough to paint correct using a rotary, yet .

I don't know if I would use a makita to wax my car. I've always preferred to do that part by hand.

I'd imagine using a makita inside the lip of a wheel would be pretty tough to control.
using a rotary would be ideal but i polish the wheel lips by hand as well. you can always use a smaller pad.
Old 06-19-13, 05:39 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

mag and alum i've used before and i still have some left. that will do for now. where can i get the surf city stuff?
They're based out of Huntington Beach, but I believe Walmart and Pepboys should still sell surf city. I know a few other local stores stopped carrying it because it wasn't selling well.

using a rotary would be ideal but i polish the wheel lips by hand as well. you can always use a smaller pad.
Even with a smaller pad I would be worried about bumping the face of the rims with either the head of the rotary or the edge of the pads.

Quick Reply: new to an LS400