Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1GS owner vehicles

My break it, fix it "build thread"

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 11:23 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My break it, fix it "build thread"

Its not much of a build as its not really my perfectionist style. I usually like to take cleanliness to the extreme but my car now has a lovely salvage title after being front ended. So this
"build thread" will just document my woes and trials of fixing everything as it breaks. I generally make small upgrades, unless the items im changing can be transferred into my new chasis that im planning to purchase when i finish school (friggin engineering programs are soo expensive :C)

Anyways, of course as you could imagine, something just broke... so time to take pics as i fix it! be back soon fellas.
Old 09-24-11, 05:53 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

So when i first got it, it was the perfect backup daily driver for rainy days. It had its minor flaws, but all was still well..

and then i ate sushi....

And got hit, a few times. uploading more pis
Old 09-24-11, 06:27 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

Old 09-25-11, 07:31 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

So first issue to be tackled were the extremely warped rotors, after going to really bad tire shops numerous times, i had almost no studs left. One of the studs actually also fell out and was trapped between the rotor and dust shield. it scraped them pretttttttttttttty bad but....... long story short. they just had to be changed/ resurfaced

... while i was at it i noticed the tires were were threading, so i figured i may as well upgrade the wheels while changing pads, rotors, tires.

Cool/ fun thing is i actually used the shops impact/tools to change out rotors/pads while they were mounting my tires on the wheels

Old 09-25-11, 07:40 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Next minor issue is i noticed one of my fog lights went out, it was just adding fuel to the fire of the annoying front end damage, so i went to pull out the bulb and noticed more awesomeness:

so i ordered a set of 3000k fog light bulbs which totally werent at all 3000k. it really annoyed me since ive always wanted some yellow fog lights. so i picked up a set of cheap local hids to offset color.

also figured it wouldnt be a bad time to test fit the new hood... see how badly the front bump/core support was pushed in

it doenst look bad in the pictures but its noticeably off!

swapped back to the original hood so i can start working on fixing all the problem areas on the new hood and blocking it:
(hoods in my hood? ...or living room?!)

Last edited by greens14; 09-25-11 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-25-11, 07:52 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

So........ next awesome level of win, i went to my comrades house to give him a lift to gamestop, and the water temp needle started to creep up. These things are never accurate so i had a code red moment! shut off the car, checked under the hood: boiling coolant. I let a bit of pressure out of the system and instantly(well after gamestop) went to autozone (he drove) to pick up a thermostat/gasket, radiator cap, and some water wetter. after we got back to his house. I took a test drive around the block with the heater on...no heating issue. then with the heater/ ac off. still no issue. with the ac the creep started again.

sooooooooooo i checked and ofcourse, rad/condenser fans are both off. I head home in the sweltering heat( driver side needs a new regulator or motor and the ac was off.

Checked fuses: good
relay....and awesomeness arises:

so is that what you think it is? yes. one of the prongs actually melted out into the fuse box. AND the other wiring/pinout melted also. So after fiddling with removing the fuse box, i managed to mount a secure connection on the new relay. all is well for now. but i still want to circle back to why that happened in the near future.

next update...been busy with school ..havent cleaned the car for quite some time!! will upload those pics soon lol

Old 09-26-11, 08:04 AM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like its coming along nicely good that your taking your time
Old 10-05-11, 05:52 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by msc300
looks like its coming along nicely good that your taking your time
Thanks, no recent progress since the day after, did some basic cleaning up of the car. Had the windows tinted until my new regulator comes in the mail. Tested a bleach solvent on the carpet to see how much damage it would cause..it actually worked fairly well.. ill probably do the rest of the interior lightly when i have a chance. I've also decided to stop the aesthetics when once I straighten the front end/core support and paint the new hood. Since the title is salvage, i was planning on only upgrading parts I could swap to a new GS chassis when the time was right but...I'm definitely pulling a benedict arnold. Next car is going to be a sc300 lol. I cant help liking coupes.

Anyways updates:

the carpet in on the door panels were this stained originally:

after generously applying (actually a LITTLE TOO MUCH) the Clorox bleach for kitchen counter crap I came out with this improvement:

as you can see from the color fading, i overdid it but....next time ill go lighter, should make better progress.

cleaned up the mess and threw on some costco seat covers:

car after tint:

the spray painted g35 wheels erk me. I know this is the worse crop ever but i was just in a rush to compare how they would look in the original finish.. i like it much better.

so next things on list, cleaning interior carpet/ prepping and painting hood/ pulling core support with come-along/ putting hood on/ removing spraypaint from wheels.

anyone have any suggestions on the last objective? ive googled and have some ideas of what to try, all of the items i read seemed like opinions rather than experiences though.