Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1992Lexus.. Complete build thread with pictures and links!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 05:17 PM
PoGikoSc4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, the valve cover looks polished. I love stripper
Old 10-06-11, 09:04 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just paint stripper? did u buff it afterwards? cause u got me thinking i need to do a weekend project lol

roughly how long before you can get the factory paint off the valve covers?
Old 10-06-11, 10:50 PM
blueboost6
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man be careful I just mite I love road trips and on lag I run a 72mm turbo once it gets moving get out of the way
Old 10-07-11, 06:18 AM
alucard655
Driver School Candidate

Looks great. I know there is another guy with a red SC with 1JZ swap on the Arsenal. Also, I think there is a RHD Mark IV Supra running around there.
Old 10-07-11, 08:50 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If there is one on the arsenal I need to know where! Building number? I have seen a red MKIV on Martin Road. Not going to say number on here. I am station one! Thanks for the kind words people.

The aircraft remover worked in like a minute. It removed finish in a hurry. Wear gloves. Then I used 220 grit for over an hour, this remove the black in the finish, then wetsanded 400 grit for over two hours, then used 1500 wetsanded for over an hour. Then whipped out the buffing wheel on my drill. I used Neverdull for the polish. I rubbed it in by hand, then buffed with the polisher on the drill. I did this step for over an hour, maybe 12 times or so. You must be patient with this for the best resukts and doing by hand. It sucks but I want it shiny! I have only worked one so far, will work on the other tonight.

One question, when I removed the inner valve cove piece, there was a rubber gasket seal around it. Do I need to reseal it before placing it back in? What is this actual piece do in the motor? Any guidance?
Old 10-08-11, 09:47 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

More updates today.. Pick up the full exhaust, HKS down pipe, Tial 44mm wastegate, 4" K and N filter with tubing and clamps, fuel rail with the 880cc injectors, the manifold, the steel braided oil return line with the fittings,new flywheel bolts, and the HKS carbon fiber muffler. I also polished more on the valve covers with the powerball by Mothers. This thing works great. I was skeptical at first to buy it, but said what the hey, its only 21 bucks. I also ordered the HKS BOV and the fitting for the oil return and to mount the BOV.

On the way home, my pickup broke down. I was over two hours away from home also. I think it threw the timing or something.. I something click, click when the gas was pressed, then nothing when left off.. Did this three times, then quit. Tried to restart, just backfired a second, then turned over.. Nothing. Called a friend who lived over an hour away with his truck and trailer and hauled me back home. This sucks. Now something else to tear apart and see whats goin on.. Luckily its a 1985 Dodge Ram 50 Royal edition and it looks pretty straight forward to work on. Its a Mitsubishi motor..

I also mounted the manifold with 2 screws just to set the turbo on and OMG, it looks so good. I cant wait to hear start up with everything so clean and shiny..

Enjoy the pictures, its getting closer. I will be polishing up the intake tubing, the turbo housing, and the manifold.. Of course, I will be taking some pictures along the way.

Old 10-09-11, 07:15 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Those 880cc injectors. What do you know about them? Like are they high impedence or low impedence injectors?
Old 10-09-11, 08:26 AM
Graymatter
Rookie

Originally Posted by DoomLight
Those 880cc injectors. What do you know about them? Like are they high impedence or low impedence injectors?
They are actually Power Enterprise 800cc injectors and they are high impedence.
Old 10-09-11, 08:27 AM
skirts
Lead Lap

Man its crazy how fast this build is going! Everything is looking good!
Old 10-09-11, 08:32 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

That's quite a nice looking snail.

Keep up the good work!
Old 10-09-11, 05:49 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Thank you guys for the compliments and th clarification Lxclusive! I did alot more polishing today and it turned out great, well in my book. I just dont know how long the manifold is going to last this shiny. I used the Mothers polish with the wheel. The results were fantastic. Here are a few pictures of what I did today.

Will high temp clear by VHT or something else, hold up this clear and amazing look, or regardless, will it turn over time? I need to know before I mount it tomorrow. Thanks!

The original intake with slight scatches and imperfections..

Now after wetsanding with 600 grit and using the Mother powerball 6 times!

The original manifold when I picked it up...

After 3 hours and buffing with 320 grit, then 600, then 1000 grit sandpaper...

I am sold on the Mothers PowerBall!
Old 10-09-11, 06:09 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

nice work bro. but you know that will just tarnish up back the way it was after running for about 10 hours. the only way to make it look nice for a long time is to get it ceramic coated.
Old 10-09-11, 06:38 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^+1000 yep that;s correct i used the 2000* ceramic coat that stuff flakes off in 2 hours lol waste of time.

Get is jet coated black or aluminum finish i am going to do the aluminum finish on mine, manifold, dp, exhaust housing.

Or get get DEI wrap it's some new stuff , good stuff not the average exhaust wrap ! just wrap you dp with it and get a blanket for you turbo that will keep the temp down in the engine bay.

And you tunnell will be hot , and i usually put some insulator in inside the car around the tunnell , and make sure you seal the stock auto shifter hole because the heat will come in the cabin through that hole.
Old 10-13-11, 10:27 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

More update..

Removed the wiring harness from the motor.. What a pain to go through the throttle body. I also removed the throttle body tubing, throttle body, installed the underside of the valve cover plates. Getting ready for polishing them as well this afternoon. I installed the 800cc injectors. Bought a three gauge pod holder from Advanced Auto and the gauges fits great. I modified the pod to make it look more appealing and fit flush. Will post more on that later. Not much more, just been busy.

I was thinking of wrapping the manifold, but it just doesnt look appealing and clean. I know it will keep the temps down, but the look is important to me and MY build. I may look into the ceramic coating and just having them redone all together. Thanks for the input fellas. Its getting there, slowly but surely. Will post several pictures next time.

Last edited by 1JZPWRD; 10-13-11 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-13-11, 07:34 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

I can speak for the ceramic coating on the manifold. I had my buddy do my old E6 header on my 2.3T motor in my SVO and it really kept underhood temps down. A couple of us had him do ours all at the same time, and it really holds up and the thermal effects are awesome.

www.pristinepc.com if you want to ship, he does outstanding work.

Quick Reply: 1992Lexus.. Complete build thread with pictures and links!