Rezist89
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so clean wish my was red
Old 10-19-14, 08:10 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a heads up to anyone using a non target based boost controller...

Back when I set the boost this past summer temperatures were in the mid 85 to 90 deg weather. I currently have a 9 psi combined base spring pressure in the wastegate and was able to achieve a peak of 16-17 psi by adjusting the wastegate duty cycle in the innovate scg-1 to 28%.

However now that fall is here and temps are down to 40-50 deg in the evenings I went WOT today and noticed peak boost shot up past 20psi :eek!!

So I quickly brought the duty cycle down and found that now 16% achieves 16psi. I guess with the cooler temps and more dense air it causes the boost to peak higher. I had the peak boost threshold set at 20psi in the controller so it was spiking to 20 and then the controller cuts boost 100% down to spring pressure.

Car still rolls the fuuk out I love it! Always puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
Old 10-20-14, 07:27 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I can agree to the above information.....I have mine currently running off the wastegate at 14psi....and with the cooler temps I am hitting factory Aristo boost cut more often....I am going to put the 12 psi springs back in and just get a electronic boost control so I can adjust it for the time of year when temps get lower

How do you like the innovate motorsports scg-1 Wideband / Boost Controller....I am using only the innovative motorsports wideband mtx-l

Also how are you bypassing ECU boost cut?

Last edited by CatManD3W; 10-20-14 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-20-14, 08:09 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
I can agree to the above information.....I have mine currently running off the wastegate at 14psi....and with the cooler temps I am hitting factory Aristo boost cut more often....I am going to put the 12 psi springs back in and just get a electronic boost control so I can adjust it for the time of year when temps get lower

How do you like the innovate motorsports scg-1 Wideband / Boost Controller....I am using only the innovative motorsports wideband mtx-l

Also how are you bypassing ECU boost cut?
I like the controller it definitely is a good value if you need several items at once versus buying individual parts. If you already have a boost gauge and wideband then I would consider maybe a separate controller.

I actually have a mint condition ebc Greddy Profec B spec 1 that I was going to use but decided to get the innovate. This is the 3 **** style one that is super easy to use and is solid, let me know if your interested.

Because I have 550cc injectors I needed a way to pull the additional fuel out at idle and throughout the RPM band. The Apexi SAFC NEO that I have is set to pull -21% out across the rpm band and this is also raising my boost cut / fuel cut point. I haven't experienced the factory boost cut yet even though it was hitting 20-21psi the other night.
Old 10-20-14, 08:46 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

hmm....Interesting I plan on upgrading to 550cc......Are you using stock MAP sensor for JDM ECU
Old 10-20-14, 12:36 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

hmm....Interesting I plan on upgrading to 550cc......Are you using stock MAP sensor for JDM ECU
Yep stock map sensor is the only way for it to run properly with the gte ecu.
Old 10-20-14, 02:01 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Yep stock map sensor is the only way for it to run properly with the gte ecu.
Just checking some basically with the Neo you are tricking the the ECU

I am trying to be able to run more boost when I upgrade to 550's without buying a standalone....I love the reliability of the OEM ECU.....maybe find a mines ECU
Old 10-21-14, 04:23 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Did you get a look at the afr's when it was at 20 =) maybe it likes being at 20
That will tend to happen with the seasons change you gotta adjust the boost a little bit.

I need to do the larger injectors myself and get a safc in the mix.
hows the idle on the 550's with the -21% and just off idle does it accelerate fine?
I'm thinking of trying an injector in the 600 range.
Old 10-22-14, 02:42 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

This car is sketch at WOT to be safe I have to datalog the pulls and check them after. It's near impossible to go WOT and watch the gauge at the same time. The car needs an LSD to be safe, I'm sure that would solve alot of my traction issues and make me feel more confident going WOT.

Cold starts will be in the 11.4-11.8 range initially and then lean out as it warms up with the -21% pull at idle.

I haven't noticed any ill effects with the SAFC, idle is good, take off is fine cold. My DSM had 850cc injectors and when driven cold it would feel sluggish and low on power like it was holding back until it warmed up.

When I hot start the car it will be leaner initially and once I start driving it corrects itself but you said that's pretty common to the engine and temps.

OsideTiger, the guys that I got my 550's from, make a 600cc injectors that are still drop in. I'm sure that's still easily tunable with the safc without going out of it's range.

Just checking some basically with the Neo you are tricking the the ECU

I am trying to be able to run more boost when I upgrade to 550's without buying a standalone....I love the reliability of the OEM ECU.....maybe find a mines ECU
The OEM Toyota reliability of the factory ecu is really a great feature and has made me fall in love again with the car. The AEM EMS I had before was versatile but for someone who has never tuned AEM it was a nightmare and had other issues with voltage to ecu and some weird electrical gremlins like the IACV would click randomly.

The mines ecu is awesome but man they are costly used, borderline AEM EMS cost. You'd be better off sourcing a JDM Supra 6 speed ecu and doing the safc. The 6spd JDM ecu has a higher rev limit, higher speed limit. From what I understand with the Mines Ecu you still have to run an SAFC to adjust for larger injectors. Alot of the factory limiters are removed from the Mine's ECU.

Last edited by HiPSI; 10-22-14 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-27-14, 08:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Thanks for the info I was looking at those 600's they have for sale. might have to go for it and get myself a little more headroom. either those or the 550's sound pretty good as well.
Old 10-27-14, 02:59 PM
Twirl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread gives me the vvti blues lol
Old 11-05-14, 01:19 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Finally made a short video! Excuse my amateur cinematography skills, I used a phone mount on the window next to me and on the sunroof.

Old 11-05-14, 03:06 PM
PoGikoSc4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Damn man sounds really nice on WOT! where your tires peeling out?
Old 11-05-14, 03:16 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PoGikoSc4
^^ Damn man sounds really nice on WOT! where your tires peeling out?
Right now the wheel spin is probably the only thing keeping my w58 together, that and I only drive it a couple times a month. It's set at 16psi right now and just rips through 1st and 2nd! It needs an LSD mod bad. I'm also considering putting Mickey Thompson street radials 295/45/17 on the rear of the TT wheels. The more traction though, the higher risk of something breaking .

Last edited by HiPSI; 11-05-14 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-06-14, 04:48 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Andrey- Very nice , afr where right on the money!!!

What exhaust manifold are you running?

Quick Reply: HiPSI's NA-T / Build Thread - Billet 6265 in store