Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Looking great man.
Old 07-26-14, 11:16 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPSI
I ran a Tial Q on the last setup using a 11psi spring. It would stay slightly cracked open at idle. My Car idles vacuum at -19 to -21. From what I understand the best way to fix that small crack in the valve is to shim the spring with a washer versus stepping up to the next 12psi spring which is too stiff.
Good info, thanks man
Old 08-04-14, 07:17 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Small update:

Finally got a usb to serial adapter and hooked up the Innovate SCG-1 to the laptop to data log. So glad that I did here is what I found. The SCG-1 is capable of data logging three parameters, RPM, Boost, Wideband, and Wastegate Duty Cycle.

On the previous settings the car was WAYY to rich at WOT. I started from scratch and turned off the boost controller which makes the gate run straight off spring pressure, which is currently at a low 8 psi.

Right off the bat I realized how rich it was, pulled over to view the logs and it was pegged at 9.78:1 at WOT. The SAFC was set already to -15%. I leaned it out to -25% from 4k above and finally got the tune into the mid 11's. Leaning the tune out to mid 11's significantly improved the butt dyno. I could instantly feel the car pulling harder to the end of redline.

After a few pulls I noticed a bright red newer mustang in my rear view so I set the car to 60mph on the cruise and waited patiently I figured why not see if it's a shelby gt500. Sure enough as it pulls up next to me the plates read "LOL LSX" and Shelby gt500 on the rear. I paced him for a bit and then decided to see if he was willing run.

I briefly sounded off the wastegate dump next to his window to see if he was interested and he replied with a supercharger whine rev down . He started slowly bringing the speed down next to me as we backed up traffic and downshifted to 2nd at about 5k rpm and held on as my adrenaline started flowing. I glanced over and waved my hands forward signaling to roll into WOT and we went for it . The car ripped through 2nd , grabbed 3rd "cringing" , and watched him pull about 2 cars away through 3rd gear and shut it down. I threw the thumbs up and he had a big grin on his face and we parted ways.

While I didn't win I felt pretty stoked about hanging with a shelby GT500 at 8psi. On the way home I cruised for a bit and then started turning the wastegate duty cycle up . Ended the night with 28% duty cycle achieving 16-17 psi and 11.0:1 across the RPM band. It tends to lean out slightly toward the end of each pull to mid 11's so I was happy with setting the tune to low 11's. At 16-17psi the car screams and feels awesome! Can't wait to get some Meth / Water injection on the car and turn it up to 20+ and run into the GT500 again . I still need to properly boost leak test the car to make sure it's leak free. I'm sure there is more power to be made and I also have a 4" Raceready electric cutout ready to go on the midpipe. The Fujisubo catback isn't the highest flowing system so the 4" cutout should free up some lost horsepower.

My buddy owns a stage 2 upgraded supercharger pulley B8 Audi S4. It should be easily a high 117-120mph trapping car. I'll report back with results racing him!

Last edited by HiPSI; 08-04-14 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-05-14, 10:19 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

sounds like alot of fun. Seems like its always when you are adjusting the boost or have it on the low setting that fast cars come around. I am sure the results would have been much closer or completely different at 17 psi. keep at it sounds like the adjustments are getting you closer to the goal, setting up the 550's and safc is not as simple as the mod with just 440's. maybe post the settings once you get them worked out.
Old 08-05-14, 11:39 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice man....I have shifted into 3rd a couple times pretty hard and I to cringe......I have only got the clutch to slip a little bit so far....Im pretty satisfied with the Competition Clutch Stage 4
Old 08-05-14, 08:57 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Ya I just dialed in the spring pressure setting and wouldn't ya know it a Shelby would be in my rear view mirror, the perfect sleeper kill! My dad owned two 03-04 supercharged cobras so I always have a need to embarrass a mustang when I get the chance however this time It wasn't happening. I'm confident that with the current higher boost setting and possibly some meth / water injection for more power it would of been a closer race. Glad everything held together in one piece I could of been towing the thing home.

Honestly the SAFC was pretty easy to setup, and for me I needed injectors anyway and took the leap of faith with the osidetiger 550's that we're drop in. I knew I would get bored and want more power then what the 440's would support. I wonder how much injector is too much for the SAFC / stock ecu combo. There are some 600cc's (-36% larger) through the same guy "osidetiger" and they are $269 shipped with plug and play adapters included which is pretty reasonable, 660's are $280 shipped. I doubt the safc could control -50% larger injector with out all sorts of weird issues.

Tuning the SAFC is comical compared to tuning using the AEM V2, feels like an old pocket game boy in the armrest I whip out and hit a few buttons and there we go! Lol it's just very simple, amazing little device. Setting the AEM V2 up to run like a stock ecu car is a whole other story!

The Stg 4 comp should hold the power to a point but man it doesn't slip nicely. Car jerks and chatters it's way out of first gear I just have had to relearn how to drive it.

Last edited by HiPSI; 08-05-14 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-07-14, 10:58 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to hang with a gt500 at the local 1/4 mi track in my auto with the stock converter (2k rpm). He had a better time but my trap speed was a bit higher(15psi).
Old 09-11-14, 05:40 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Small update,

Car still runs amazing! Starts, idles, cruises, A/C blasting like a stock Lexus thanks to Ali and his great support with the JDM GTE ecu mod. Currently, boost is set at a peak of 17psi and the whole front of it lifts up at WOT! It's definitely a handful, I love driving it. I'm going to need a better tire setup and eventually an LSD of some sort but the cost for one is ridiculous. I'm trying to keep the transmission in one piece by just having fun easing into boost without any launches or hard shifts but I know it's on borrowed time. It shifts smooth as butter still and doesn't grind or notch at all, I think I just jinxed myself.

It's just great to be able to hop in, put the key in, and enjoy the car without any issues. Maybe this "pleasant" time of ownership will be short lived until the next part breaks but since boosting the car and putting the GTE ecu in it I have fallen in love with it again.

Some picture whoring! I love how simple the car looks and with the FMIC peaking through it definitely gets more attention.

Last edited by HiPSI; 09-11-14 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-11-14, 07:09 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice, she's looking good Andrew-I hate those wheels! You should sell them to me? LOL...I know, I'm always buggin u about those wheels! haha!

steve
Old 09-11-14, 10:48 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

SLEEPER STATUS!!!! and girlfriends always hide in car pictures lol. they think we're such children but they take their duck face pictures themselves!!!

let's see a video of a pull!
Old 09-12-14, 08:10 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks great man....Sleeper FTW.....

My car does the exact same thing under boost....the whole front end pics up in the air.....since Im still on stock suspension it makes it more dramatic under boost...

PM me some info about them injectors....Im looking for exact drop in injectors as well and dont want to add the resistor pack to run USDM 550s

Last edited by CatManD3W; 09-12-14 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-13-14, 06:09 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Nice, she's looking good Andrew-I hate those wheels! You should sell them to me? LOL...I know, I'm always buggin u about those wheels! haha!

steve
Haha thanks man, I can't part with the wheels just yet I know how hard they are to find now adays.

Originally Posted by oldManTan
SLEEPER STATUS!!!! and girlfriends always hide in car pictures lol. they think we're such children but they take their duck face pictures themselves!!!

let's see a video of a pull!
I love sleeper cars, I even contemplated painting the FMIC black but I figured the shiny aluminum would look better. She had her face in her phone on ifunny . She always laughs at me circling my car taking pictures over and over like it's a celeb.

If I can figure out a way to secure my phone I will get some videos. It definitely won't be comparable to the crazy supra videos you see online but its probably cool for sc300 guys going NA-T .

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Looks great man....Sleeper FTW.....

My car does the exact same thing under boost....the whole front end pics up in the air.....since Im still on stock suspension it makes it more dramatic under boost...

PM me some info about them injectors....Im looking for exact drop in injectors as well and dont want to add the resistor pack to run USDM 550s
I bet it feels crazy on the stock suspension. I'm on BC Racing coilovers and it picks the front end up pretty good. These are old cars that weren't exactly designed to be at 400-450whp so the next step will be upgrading alot of the soft lexus subframe bushings and tightening up the "feel" of the car.

Sent you a message.
Old 09-13-14, 08:03 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

The car is looking amazing. That color with polished TT wheels is just damn sexy!
Old 09-18-14, 12:37 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Its looking great love the red and spoilerless with the TT wheels, If I squint it looks just like mine except mines RR and I have the regular tt wheels hot the chrome ones. glad you are enjoying the tt ecu mod when its done right its an absolute blast I have been enjoying mine all summer long not a problem yet with it.
Old 09-18-14, 06:53 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Being able to enjoy and drive a boosted sc300 reliably is an achievement in itself, and the JDM GTE ecu mod provided that for me!

Now I'm looking at ways to inch the whp further without pushing the knock limit of pump gas (17-18psi). I'd like a solid 500whp. First I need to schedule a dyno apt to see where I'm at.

Ideas:
Schneider 268 Camshaft regrinds
4" electric cutout on the 4" midpipe (Currently already own this but haven't mounted it due to clearance/ height)
4" Cold air intake to the passenger side front air dam to keep IAT temps low.
Meth / Water injection - Should allow for 20psi on pump gas.
Larger Turbo - > 6766 (I'd rather not take this route as it's costly and I don't want a more lazy setup).

Quick Reply: HiPSI's NA-T / Build Thread - Billet 6265 in store