Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,

Old 06-21-11, 07:55 PM
rishi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,

i bought a 1998 LS400 with 268k mi on it, 1 owner real clean. Inside is like new, never been in an accident. Main problem Motor is leaking oil so i bought a new motor with 148k mi on it from a 2000 LS400. (got the odometer cluster also)

Im going to be taking the old motor out cause it was leaking alot of oil and didnt feel like rebuilding an old motor like that, so i got a nice clean one out of a 2000 LS400 with 148k mi on the clock. and doing a top end rebuild (head and valves) If im going to do it, i want to do it right and have everything sent to the machine shop and have it surfaced, cleaned and shiny.

Some things that im going to be doing...

-Timing Belt
-Water Pump
-Tensioners (x2)
-Motor Mounts
-Transmission Mounts
-Complete Valve job and clean
-Resurface Head and clean
-Cabin and Air Filters
-Spark Plugs
-Both Catalytic Converters
-New Battery
-New Battery Terminals
-Hood Shocks (x2)
-HID bulbs 9006
-Valve Cover Gasket Set
-Head Gasket Set
-Rewrapping the Leather steering wheel
-redo the bottom part of the drivers seat
-MAY redo the arm rest.. doesnt show much damage, however there is a very light light cracking in a 4 inch diameter spot that is bugging me.

Plus more... i'll add them as i go along... once i get through this stuff i'll start looking at other stuff on the car that needs to be replaced i.e. shocks, pads, coils, compressor, ect.

I will try to post pics during the whole process and overhaul. I may sell the car so i also want to document everything as well incase the new owner

Day one i started taking out the Motor, got the alternator, battery, pulleys, tensioners taken off...

More pics soon to come...
Attached Thumbnails 1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-imag0735.jpg   1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-imag0736.jpg   1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-imag0737.jpg   1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-imag0738.jpg   1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-imag0739.jpg  

Old 06-21-11, 08:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

your engine was leaking oil....

so you decide to replace the engine?
wth? is there something WRONG with the engine? ie-internal issue that would cause it to burn a lot of oil? if not i'll be happy to come take the old one off your hands...

also, do not swap the clusters. if you do it'll be noted the next time you register the car or the like, and the discrepancy will be noted on its title and the car's value with suffer for no actual gain (unless for some reason your cluster is broken, then just swap over the needles/ccfl you need but keep the main circuitboard of the original cluster)

otherwise, good luck!
Old 06-22-11, 01:33 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I was also wondering why change the motor. Idk how much you paid for the car and the newer engine, which you're gonna rebuild, but it seems like it would be cheaper to either just rebuild the engine that's in it or buy a newer car in better shape. Seems like alot of work b/c of an oil leak.
Old 06-23-11, 06:16 AM
rishi
Rookie

engine wasn't building proper compression, and was burning oil all over the place plus i could hear the lifters knockin... top end rebuild is something i'll do... getting into the pistons, ect just too much for me. I can do alot of the work myself except for the machine shop, so getting a new engine and putting it in was no biggie for me, plus the 2000 motor was really clean, had all the records on it from Lexus. Yesterday while getting the old out im thinking that im not going to open the head and cause everything just looks so good right now it. I am going to do a Valve Cover Gasket set though for sure. Put new motor mounts, and tranny mount yesterday also. To mention, there was alot of dirt and grime inside the bay so i sprayed with some degreaser let is soak and scrubbed it out came out nice... dont have a pic of the after shot but will post one tomorrow..
Attached Thumbnails 1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-imag0743.jpg   1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-imag0744.jpg   1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-imag0745.jpg  
Old 06-23-11, 06:49 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I would have went a different route but hey, everyone has thier own plans. More power to ya. It looks like it's gonna take alot of cleaning though, don't skimp on any small spots. If the engine is as clean as you say it is, the engine bay might as well be also. One bit of advice, do everything you can to the engine while it's out. The time ya save there you can spend on cleaning.
Old 06-23-11, 08:30 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting.
I guess it depends how much you got the new motor for. I can only imagine re & re plus teardown and rebuild of the stock motor would be in the neighborhood of $2000. If you picked up the newer one for less then you're ahead plus less headache.
Keep us posted.
Old 06-23-11, 08:32 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

pm me....still might be down for the motor...
Old 06-24-11, 05:41 PM
rishi
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
pm me....still might be down for the motor...
Cool i will...

yeah im got the bay all cleaned up real nice. used degreaser and a scrubber... I like having everything clean.

Got the motor in, put new motor mounts, tranny mount, hood shocks, thermostat &gasket, WP, timing belt, drive belt (serpentine), spark plugs, both idles, AT filter kit, P/S Hose, fuel filter, air and cabin filter. I also put all new fluids in the car... 5 qt 5w30 Pennzoil synthetic(weary about putting synthetic in older motors, but these cars are built so solid why not), 3 qt Toyota t4 ATF, Prestone synthetic brake fluid, and Dexron 4 synthetic for the Power Steering... (i heard that synthetic is not good for the P/S? can anyone comment on that? i heard this after the fact of me putting it in, should i disconnect the hose and drain it? thoughts?)

Some bad news... realized the Rack and Pinion is leaking so im going to replace that next along with both catalytic converters. All the parts getting here on Tuesday, so should have it done by Thursday. meanwhile i finish that up, im goign to check out the brakes and rotors and get them replaced with all new ones, depending on if they were changed recently or not. ( i couldnt take the wheels off cause they had some wheel locks and unfortunately the lock was not anywhere in the car is there some special place that i just didnt see? (i chked glove box, armrest, trunk, first aid kit under the driver seat)... i checked everywhere and ofcourse in trunk where the spare tire is, nothing to be found. I also want to check out the shocks and
Attached Thumbnails 1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-imag0756.jpg   1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-imag0757.jpg   1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-imag0758.jpg   1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-imag0760.jpg   1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-imag0763.jpg  

Old 06-24-11, 05:51 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I really hope you stole that car, because replacing all of that stuff can get extremely costly. I would have just looked for a LS400 with lesser miles, but to each his own.
Old 06-24-11, 06:15 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Hes putting life back into a car that would have otherwise been scrapped or partd out. i give him props, even if he did spend a little more, its an experience you get that wouldn't come with another car.
Old 06-24-11, 06:20 PM
Toshima
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your close to austin I have a socket that will take the locking lugs off. I had to do it to mine to because my key was stripped.
Old 06-24-11, 06:20 PM
rishi
Rookie

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
I really hope you stole that car, because replacing all of that stuff can get extremely costly. I would have just looked for a LS400 with lesser miles, but to each his own.
$1400. Clean title. 1998 LS400, Clean interior.... pics will be posted of before and after once i start working on the inside..

Motor Cost $1300

WP- $89 ASIM OEM
Motor Mounts x2- $150 DEA Hydraulic
Transmission Mount- $33
Timing Belt- $39
Drive Belt- $26
Tensioner & Idle Pulley- $68
Hood Shocks- $36
Thermostat & Gasket- $22
Valve Cover Gasket Set- $70
AT Filter Kit- $22
Spark Plugs x8- $50
Air filter- $14
Cabin Filter- $11
Fuel Filter- $9
Oil and Oil filter- $42
Toyota T4 ATF- $22
Valvoline Synthetic Dextron 4 ATF- $7
Brake Fluid Prestone DOT 3- $6
Both Catalytic Converters (driver and passenger) $280 Direct Fit
Front Rack & Pinion- $250
Cleaning supplies so far i.e. Brake cleaner, engine degreaser, blue towels- $50

These prices I got cause i got a buddy that has a shop so he gets me a good deal on parts.

And yes your right, i could have gotten an LS with low miles, but getting one like this and doing it all yourself saves so much money, plus i like the fact knowing everything on the car is being replaced, sure rather have an older car with new parts, than an old car with all old parts. just my view. PLUS i know what i have done to it.

Not to mention, i did steal the car.
Old 06-24-11, 06:24 PM
rishi
Rookie

Originally Posted by Toshima
If your close to austin I have a socket that will take the locking lugs off. I had to do it to mine to because my key was stripped.
still kinda far.. im going to break them off and just replace them with a plan lugnut... no need for locks... going to get around to it in the next few days.
Old 06-24-11, 08:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

you got that car for 1500?

damn
that's pretty good even for a rolling chassis, less motor.
Old 06-24-11, 10:16 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This is a good learning experience and yes, props for keeping this one on the road. I hate to think of them getting smashed like beer cans to be recycled.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,