Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

LS400 Racecar/Track Car build

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-14, 09:28 PM
killerGSR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 Racecar/Track Car build

Well i am finishing up my ls400 build soon (i hope) and a few people suggested i start a build thread. So ill slowly try to post some pics here that i may have saved in my phone.

Anyways little background on me. I have had a ton of cars before. About 35+ most have been Japanese origin. Had Evo's Wrx's M5''s integras gs300 rx7 etc etc etc. Pretty much most import cars i have owned before. Had full out race cars before to awesome street cars. Hella flush cars and everything in between.

Some highlights of previous cars that i loved

Ls1 FD

Rocket Bunny Vert
LS400 Racecar/Track Car build-1x8apkk.jpg

Sr20 Van

Toyota Soarer (not sc300)

e34 m5 track car

Current Mr2
LS400 Racecar/Track Car build-ece95zk.jpg

Anyways enough about all other cars. Ill start talking about the actual car in the build thread. Pretty much the goal of this car is to have a unique Ls400 that i can track. I had daily driven a couple of LS400's and love em so decided to build one. Trying to make it a fun car without being way too expensive.

Anyways once i knew i wanted to build an ls400 I started looking for a 95. I wanted obd1 for not having to worry about emissions along with getting the 95+ brakes. I kept looking and looking and couldn't find anything that i needed. A guy i knew at the time had a w58 swapped ls400. He was trying to sell it for way too much at the time . I thought about buying it but passed since i knew i could swap in a w58 into one way cheaper than he was trying to get. So fast forward to a few weeks later. He has the car for sale and its parked on the street.. He had the clutch replaced on the car and they left a bunch of the wiring loose. Chicago area gets hit with tons of rain and the car has a small flood. The carpet gets wet. So his insurance checks the car out and totals is because the cluster wont turn on. They figured the water messed up the electronics. (the wires that were left loose after the clutch job was why the cluster didn't work.) So i talk to the guy and make him buy the car back from the insurance company. Buy the car from him to cover his costs on it and a couple of hundred extra to go to a strip club lol.

So i get the car home. Driving open header in freezing cold weather.

Here is the car with my gf's daily 97 behind it

LS400 Racecar/Track Car build-xy5rehe.jpg

Ill continue with this tomorrow.. (i have to dig through my phone and find pics of all the progress)

Last edited by killerGSR; 01-11-15 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-17-14, 11:23 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

lol i saw your craigslist ad for the rocket bunny, **** was funny. can't wait to see this build come together.
Old 11-18-14, 02:27 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Famous cars in this thread
Old 11-18-14, 06:12 PM
Rezist89
Rookie

yes love me ls400 might cost alot to get the steering angle there?
Old 11-18-14, 06:25 PM
killerGSR
Driver School Candidate

So deleted lots of pics of this so excuse the ****ty quality pics that are posted. I primise picture quality will get better down the line lol

So I began the build by fully stripping the car Everything out. Sound deadening as well.
LS400 Racecar/Track Car build-thea7lr.jpg

sunroof assembly comes out
LS400 Racecar/Track Car build-w5pef04.jpg

Doors get fully gutted
LS400 Racecar/Track Car build-npqdnmy.jpg

Started cutting up the hood. Lots of measuring and lots of time would go into this hood.
LS400 Racecar/Track Car build-2mvcngm.jpg

Tossed the wheels that i am planning on using on the car... A good 4inches of poke
LS400 Racecar/Track Car build-bi4thxj.jpg

Also bought some seats... They had civic rails and mounts on them. I modified the mounts to fit ls400 and bolted them in. I am pretty tall guy but i would have to be about 8ft tal to see out of these.

LS400 Racecar/Track Car build-gmhtv1x.jpg
Old 11-18-14, 06:53 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Curious to see the plans for the hood. I was just asking about the feasibility of a very similar center cutout in the weight reduction thread.
Old 11-18-14, 06:56 PM
killerGSR
Driver School Candidate

btw just noticed i put this in the sc forum... if admin can move to ls400 than would be great.
Old 11-18-14, 07:14 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by killerGSR
btw just noticed i put this in the sc forum... if admin can move to ls400 than would be great.
Done........
Old 11-18-14, 10:04 PM
Xenalex
Driver School Candidate

Ooo...can't wait! First post!!
Old 11-19-14, 01:57 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

I was waiting for a build thread. Plans for drivetrain?
Old 11-19-14, 09:41 AM
killerGSR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
I was waiting for a build thread. Plans for drivetrain?
Keeping the engine stock. With all the weight reduction and the 5sp should be enough power to keep me happy with how it performs. If i need more power once i finish it ill blow up the 1uz and consider swaps like LS etc.
Old 11-19-14, 11:26 AM
Xenalex
Driver School Candidate

Default Stick with the 1UZ!

Lets get some R&D going with the 1UZ! I believe the 1UZ can take ALOT of Power and Abuse...The way I see it is the more attention the 1UZ gets, the more development is going to go in to them buy professionals and backyard engineers alike, the easier it will get for average people to realize the capability of this motor! ...Although, I do like how cheap and available the 1UZ is...not for long, now that people are putting them in 240s.

Oh, and what flare style are you feelin' on those grippers?

PS. LSx swap would be fantastic...obviously.
Old 11-19-14, 05:54 PM
killerGSR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Xenalex
Lets get some R&D going with the 1UZ! I believe the 1UZ can take ALOT of Power and Abuse...The way I see it is the more attention the 1UZ gets, the more development is going to go in to them buy professionals and backyard engineers alike, the easier it will get for average people to realize the capability of this motor! ...Although, I do like how cheap and available the 1UZ is...not for long, now that people are putting them in 240s.

Oh, and what flare style are you feelin' on those grippers?

PS. LSx swap would be fantastic...obviously.
Not worth it in my opinion to mod the 1uz... if it had more aftermarket support than sure.As much as i love how it sounds and hate ls-x. Its hard to beat bang for the buck on LS-x. Flares progress shots will come soon.

Upgraded the lower ball joint and 95 brakes. Freshly rebuilt calipers as well. (don't mind the white over spray. After everything dried i wiped it off with paint thinner)

LS400 Racecar/Track Car build-jhrqexv.jpg

also decided to get some serious pads
LS400 Racecar/Track Car build-agm0khb.jpg

Also brought over some HKS coils from Japan
LS400 Racecar/Track Car build-ojrrn64.jpg

For anyone who hasn't seen the inside of an LS all apart-its pretty much a jungle of wires lol
LS400 Racecar/Track Car build-owydw2j.jpg

Also began making custom side skirts for the car. Took some spare mr2 side skirts and began extending them 15inches. Even with them extended they will fit with some gaps but from a distance will look good. (fiberglass cloth with resin)

LS400 Racecar/Track Car build-wt8yapl.jpg
Old 11-19-14, 07:41 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by killerGSR
Keeping the engine stock. With all the weight reduction and the 5sp should be enough power to keep me happy with how it performs. If i need more power once i finish it ill blow up the 1uz and consider swaps like LS etc.
Plans for header/exhaust? There are some things you can do to increase performance for <1k without going too crazy. The 1uz management runs it pig rich out of the box.
Old 11-19-14, 07:56 PM
killerGSR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Plans for header/exhaust? There are some things you can do to increase performance for <1k without going too crazy. The 1uz management runs it pig rich out of the box.
header i may make a custom one. not sure yet. may just leave the stock one. exhaust for sure will be building. just straight pipe with an x pipe. maybe throw in a resonator. Don't want to drop money into the engine besides maintenance. when chances are ill swap is out for something in the future.

Quick Reply: LS400 Racecar/Track Car build