Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-11, 05:41 PM
rishi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Norbecke
Wow your progress is awesome. If I were you I would find the wood steering wheel and shift ****.
ya know i want one but just can't find one for selling a decent price...

... im already getting it wrapped... i couldnt do this one myself, wayy to tedious, and quite honestly i was going to try but then i started calling around and pretty much all of the upolstrey places i called refused to rewrap steering wheels... they said its hard and they never got good results, so after hearing that i decided to not even try. Well anyway through a few people i found someone who does it and he is charging me $160... pretty steep if you ask me, but i can't stand ripped up leather, and saw some pics of his work and was satisfied.

getting the gear shift **** redone too.. (although it doesn't need it, might as well)

after i get it back from the guy tomorrow, i think im going to have an alignment done and get it shampoo carpets and detail, and park it in the garage... lol have no use for a 2nd car really. i just always loved this style (even more so than any other newer version that ever came out) and got a good deal so just got it...
Old 08-27-11, 12:46 PM
nervekiler
Rookie

how did the brake rotor install go? i just bought front meyle rotors for my 1990 ls400 and im not getting the caliper to line back up. it appears that the rotors sit further back by a 1/4" and now my caliper wont bolt up or even slide back on because of the metal where the bolt goes through... uggg

do you remember the part number on your rotors? im sure our brakes are different, i wonder if i got rotors for a newer lexus and not my old 1990.

nice build by the way! gives me motivation to keep mine on the road... freakin nice machine but holy crap it is high maintenance.
Old 08-31-11, 04:04 AM
rishi
Rookie

Originally Posted by nervekiler
how did the brake rotor install go? i just bought front meyle rotors for my 1990 ls400 and im not getting the caliper to line back up. it appears that the rotors sit further back by a 1/4" and now my caliper wont bolt up or even slide back on because of the metal where the bolt goes through... uggg

do you remember the part number on your rotors? im sure our brakes are different, i wonder if i got rotors for a newer lexus and not my old 1990.

nice build by the way! gives me motivation to keep mine on the road... freakin nice machine but holy crap it is high maintenance.
nope.. mine was fairly easy install... slid right in... no gaps or anything, and man did the rotor/pad make a world of a difference in the brakes.. the car now stops on a dime, and very responsive.

I do have the part numbers, i'll check for you this week and post it by wednesday... hope you get yours settled out quick.

and your right, great cars, just high on maintenance. oh well...
Old 09-19-11, 03:07 PM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default cluster ?

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
your engine was leaking oil....

so you decide to replace the engine?
wth? is there something WRONG with the engine? ie-internal issue that would cause it to burn a lot of oil? if not i'll be happy to come take the old one off your hands...

also, do not swap the clusters. if you do it'll be noted the next time you register the car or the like, and the discrepancy will be noted on its title and the car's value with suffer for no actual gain (unless for some reason your cluster is broken, then just swap over the needles/ccfl you need but keep the main circuitboard of the original cluster)

otherwise, good luck!
Hi Pure Drifter... pardon my ignorance but what is a cluster ?
Old 09-19-11, 03:27 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

instrument cluster, where all your gauges are.
Old 09-25-11, 07:51 PM
hobin5148
Driver School Candidate

Wow, I'm highly impressed.

I wish I can have some mechanical knowledge to do this to my car.
Old 09-26-11, 05:18 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

Default Cluster

Mr LiCelsior... So the instrument cluster is numbered to the VIN ?.... Is that right ?
If so, you learn something every day !
Old 09-26-11, 11:52 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by fastegg
Mr LiCelsior... So the instrument cluster is numbered to the VIN ?.... Is that right ?
If so, you learn something every day !
Don't worry, you don't have to learn anything like that today.
When PureDrifter said "the discrepancy will be noted on its title", he meant the mileage difference between the old and new instrument clusters. It wouldn't match up from the last time it was registered so they would mark it as unknown mileage so the value of the car would drop.
Old 10-04-11, 09:43 PM
rishi
Rookie

im going to be posting some new pictures up soon... i haven't gotten around to it in a while... i got the door, and wheel and **** redone, but i think im going to do the wood wheel.. we'll see...
Old 10-10-11, 02:04 PM
fastegg
Intermediate

Default Wood wheel

Yeah definetly do the wood wheel.... they look great and feel really nice to drive the car with...
Attached Thumbnails 1998 LS400 Build w/2000 Motor & top end rebuild.... Lots of Pics,-img_1089.jpg  
Old 10-10-11, 02:30 PM
Zagman91
Rookie

where could you find a wooden steering wheel and shift ****
Old 10-10-11, 03:10 PM
rishi
Rookie

oh yeah, i got it ordered... should be here this week... didnt' think about the shift **** though... sucks i just got everything reupholstered... oh well... really starting to like this better than my GS.
Old 11-18-11, 08:45 PM
SjLS
Rookie

jesssuss. thats a bunch of things to do for your car.. lol. gunna take a few weeks. but nice progess bro.
Old 12-12-14, 09:37 AM
rishi
Rookie

guys... I'm going to be selling the car... I drove it for 20k miles since all the works has been done....

Car is located in Houston, TX selling for $6k pretty firm. all documents, books, manuals, two keys, and even the original window sticker.

things i did...

-Timing belt and WP kit
-engine mounts and tranny mounts
-rear main seal
-all gaskets
-brakes, and rotors
-all new suspension (spring not air, car was not equipped with air)
-new ECU, and programmed
-wood steering wheel and shift ****
-new OEM Lexus badging around the car
-new cv joint
-new Michelien MXV4 tires all around ($800)
AUX mod on the original factory Nakamchi radio, so you can use bluetooth audio and phone calls through the OEM factory stero.. no aftermarket
-LED lighting inside and out
-new chrome front grill
-Hood Shocks

So much more that i really forgot, but i really took the time on this car to build it and get it back to a pristine running condition. I'm just looking to sell it now cause i have 3 cars, and really need room now.

I'm giving this car at a steal considering all the work i did to it, 1998 Lexus with 150k mi on the motor and about 280k on the body. this car has been regularly maintained and will last another 250k miles easy. motor was completely overhauled and rebuilt 20k miles ago...

for anyone who followed up on this thread know that i really did everything i could on this car...

Last edited by rishi; 12-12-14 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-19-16, 08:59 AM
realVIP
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I enjoyed reading through this thread, and has a lot of info. I sure would enjoy owning this vehicle, its very clean! I know this is two years later, but Great build!