Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1GS owner vehicles

Well, I am finally building the car I missed the most! (This is interesting...)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-12, 01:48 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got some better pics, hopefully going to get my DSLR today. That means lots and lots of pics to come!

Old 02-28-12, 08:51 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

So I got a new camera late tonight and shot a couple BS shots...just going to upload them to see what they look like on a forum.

Last edited by Carfreak70; 02-29-12 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-01-12, 12:16 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Got my Toyota grill! Just a couple quick pics before work!

Old 03-09-12, 09:13 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

So since no one around here wants to fill CO2 for a decent price, I am having to build my own fill station. I bought all of the lines and valves yesterday, and I also bought a new solenoid. I have to replace it, because somehow it was left on all night and it blew up....UGH! It happens I guess. I also used a clay bar on the car, and man was that interesting. It was all red! (no this was not from my calipers being painted as my car was in a closed garage and the calipers were outside) I don't know where the red came from, but it was ALL over the car!
Old 03-09-12, 09:20 AM
sentra95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build man.. I was wondering why you decided to go with the Toyota Grill instead of the Lexus one?
Old 03-09-12, 09:22 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sentra95
Nice build man.. I was wondering why you decided to go with the Toyota Grill instead of the Lexus one?
Two reasons.
The aristo grill is chrome unlike the Lexus grill that is all plastic
I have the aristo spoiler which has a factory Toyota badge. Don't want to have Toyota at the back and Lexus at the front
Old 03-11-12, 09:38 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

So it's starting to get warmer, and since I did my cam seals, and waterpump BS, I have left my radiator fan off, which I know is not smart, but it was hella cold, and it really didn't matter. I digress- I put my fan on and made the wiring look pretty decent. It is not enough to go through the hot summer, but until I can find a clutch fan, it will have to do

I also picked up a cruise control cover that I have been missing...its been making me mad. Nothing better than free!!!!

Old 03-22-12, 10:52 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Alright, so I guess it's about that time to do an update...
I now have twin turbo cams! Check out the DIY thread I made if you are interested in doing the same...
I have decided to go single turbo! I have all of the parts ordered that I need, and all I am waiting for is for my mother to go back out of town for a few weeks (April 9th) so I can have her car and let my car be down for a couple weeks. Now brings you the questions...WTF? It is going to take him a couple weeks to go single? Well...no. It is not. First I will tell you the setup-but remember I am ballin on a budget, so don't expect anything fantastic...

Turbo: Master Power T70
Manifold: XS Power T4 Titanium Coated manifold, Braced, and slag removed
Wastegate: XS power 50mm wastegate
Oil lines: CX racing oil like kit -10an drain, -3an feed with flange
Downpipe: CXracing downpipe with 3 O2 bungs
Turbo Intake Pipe: CXracing with 3 welded in nipples for vacuum

I am also going to buy the 3 wire O2 sensor from driftmotion that I need to wire in. The Aristo engine uses a 2 bolt flange for their O2's and I need one that just screws in. Driftmotion FTW!

So...you might stil be scraching your head as to why it is going to take so long for me to do a simple turbo install...well..here is your answer.

When I did my cams, I noticed I had a SLIGHT sludge/grim problem. So to fix that, I poured a half can of seafoam in the crankcase and am currently waiting to hit 100mi before I change the oil. That is going to help, but it still bothers me. So I am doing some work to the engine while its out. Below is what I am planning on doing.

Head decked and cleaned, with new valve seals by Shakletts Machine Shop
ARP head studs *Purchased*
New OEM TT head gasket (on order from Toyota )
Valve Cover Gaskets
Reseal the oil pan
Polish Valve Covers and if that doesn't work, paint them
Clean the intake manifold with new gaskets
More Toyota Red coolant
Remove the black fire retard stuff on the fire wall considering it is all coming down
Clean the engine bay...I want to be able to eat off of it
Paint some spots in the engine bay if needed
Remove/relocate some wiring
Paint Engine Block
Polish upper radiator outlet

I am sure I will add more when it actually comes time to do it. I am debating on the IS300 oil filter housing bolt so I can get an oil pressure gauge, but I am not too sure yet...we shall see..
Old 03-23-12, 05:50 AM
Supremeg56
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love this thread keeps me motivated keep up the sick work i was planning on going the single turbo route then got talked into just buying an Aristo motor still wish I just went single turbo on a stock 2j tho I was all ready to go
Old 03-24-12, 10:25 PM
CHASER4LIF
Driver

what cable did you use for the cruise control?
Old 03-25-12, 12:38 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CHASER4LIF
what cable did you use for the cruise control?
Actually my swap came with one from an Aristo. You can use a TT supra cable as well.
Old 03-25-12, 04:51 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love this build. I love seeing a nicely modded 1GS. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-25-12, 06:20 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Supremeg56
love this thread keeps me motivated keep up the sick work i was planning on going the single turbo route then got talked into just buying an Aristo motor still wish I just went single turbo on a stock 2j tho I was all ready to go
Man, it happens! I love my car, and I have been waiting a long time to do this again. I miss my old 1GS so much. I would do pretty much anything to get that car back, so I am building one just like I had. Stock 2JZ can be fun though! Still boosted and all!
Originally Posted by 03 ES
I love this build. I love seeing a nicely modded 1GS. Keep up the good work!
Hey-thanks man! I am working hard, trying to get parts together before the big day! April 9th coming up quickly!
Old 04-06-12, 10:27 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Alright, so I guess I should have updated this a while back ha. 4 days ago, I pulled the engine back out of the GS...UGH! Anyways-it came out really smooth, I couldn't have asked for anything better. I ran into an issue with the fuel line, the part that goes from the engine back to the tank. Basically it's screwed, but it will go back together, thank god.
So anyways, I got the engine out, and started taking the twins off. WHAT A PAIN IN MY ***. It takes longer to pull the twin turbos off, than it does to pull the engine out of the car...literally. So after that, I decided to put the single on there, just to see what it would look like It looks AWESOME!
After I played mock up-I got to work on pulling the engine head. I ran half a can of seafoam through the engine for 100mi but it doesn't seem like it even phased it. The head still had a lot of sludge. Especially around the cam position sensor. So I took the head to a local machine shop-Shaklett automotive. They are really good guys, and have had exceptional luck with them. I told them I was really in no rush to get it back (because I am waiting on a few parts) but that I wanted them to hot tank it, deck it, and put new valve seals in (everyone knows those are TERRIBLE in these engines). They called me at 2PM the next day, and told me to come get it, and it was done. Pretty impressive in my opinion. The head looks great! Its not quite as clean as I would have liked, but they did what they could. Anyways-I started working on the engine again today, and got the intake manifold back on, head back on the block (NOT bolted down), got the ARP head studs installed, so overall it was a good day. I put the valve covers back on when I finished to make sure stuff didn't get in there. The only thing I am waiting on is the person who I bought the ARP's from didn't include the washers, so I cannot bolt the head back down until I get them. But all is good, and the engine is waiting on those, and then it will be all ready to go back in! Here are a bunch of pictures!

Something chewed up the exhaust wheels on both of the stock twin turbos...I don't know how they were still making 20psi
Old 04-06-12, 11:19 AM
ninjawagon
Driver School Candidate

awesome build looking forward to your future plans

Quick Reply: Well, I am finally building the car I missed the most! (This is interesting...)