Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1IS owner vehicles

Single turbo IS300 build

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 10:08 PM
joelpr1234
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sr.

I was reading your thread over here and I want to know if you got your aem working with the oem a/t tranny and if you can help me to connect my tranny to the aem instead the stock ecu. I want to have better and safer shift points. Nice setup. I have almost same but stock intake manifold and 72mm turbo with 360lph in tank pump but no tranny mod yet because my location.Thanks

Edit: i can share my map with you and you can mod it for shift points, im getting 15lb now on my setup until i get my tranny modded

Last edited by joelpr1234; 10-13-11 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-19-11, 03:15 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ATT: Armyof1

As a matter of fact, YES I did get the factory tranny working, and working well it does...as expected. In fact I have been told how well the build tranny shifts when just driving around town. That being said, I haven't really defined shift points yet, so it isn't all that proper, just when it does shift it does a great job. Probably not as good as a ProEFI does, but it isn't bad.

If you want to get your AEM to run the tranny, you will just need to find all the tranny wires for the solenoids and splice them into your fields harness(assuming that is what you a have already)

I believe you will need to do this to about 10-11 wires, so it isn't really all that difficult. You also need to make sure the AEM sees vehicle speed.

Are you running a Dezod setup?
Old 10-20-11, 08:11 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuprRunner
ATT: Armyof1

As a matter of fact, YES I did get the factory tranny working, and working well it does...as expected. In fact I have been told how well the build tranny shifts when just driving around town. That being said, I haven't really defined shift points yet, so it isn't all that proper, just when it does shift it does a great job. Probably not as good as a ProEFI does, but it isn't bad.

If you want to get your AEM to run the tranny, you will just need to find all the tranny wires for the solenoids and splice them into your fields harness(assuming that is what you a have already)

I believe you will need to do this to about 10-11 wires, so it isn't really all that difficult. You also need to make sure the AEM sees vehicle speed.

Are you running a Dezod setup?
wait i thought you were running the Titan tranny. thats not the same as the IS OEM tranny.

ive recently learned that the AEM cannot control the IS auto. Titan's trans and the Supra trans are different. im not sure on the specifics but i belive its an issue with the ECU looking for the throttle body or one of its sensors. what some shops have done is keep the IS throttle body wired up somewhere in the car to trick the computer.
Old 10-20-11, 08:45 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by baadhabit
wait i thought you were running the Titan tranny. thats not the same as the IS OEM tranny.

ive recently learned that the AEM cannot control the IS auto. Titan's trans and the Supra trans are different. im not sure on the specifics but i belive its an issue with the ECU looking for the throttle body or one of its sensors. what some shops have done is keep the IS throttle body wired up somewhere in the car to trick the computer.
Titan tranny is just a rebuilt OEM tranny with a billet forward piston, stronger sprag and upgraded clutches, and modifications to the valve body. I am using a Supra trans because it has more clutches per pack, but other than that, they are pretty much the same tranny.

As for the AEM not being able to control the IS Auto...don't know who you are talking to, but that is INCORRECT!!!! AEM should already be seeing TPS, and therefore can have FULL control of shift points.

Last edited by SuprRunner; 10-20-11 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-20-11, 09:16 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

i think you meant *shift points.

Darin did my build. here's a pic. i dont mean to put him on the spot but he looked into it and tells it wont work. other shops like SRT who do IS all day tried and say it doesnt work. im not challenging you or trying to be argumentative im just saying the AEM cant control the OEM trans. IS and Supra are different.

http://i55.tinypic.com/167tgjs.jpg
Old 10-20-11, 10:24 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

I would like to speak to them about that then, because at the end of the day, the transmission is just controlled by solenoids. ECU only needs Speed and TPS signals. If it can't control the IS transmission, I don't see how it would be able to control the Supra transmission either.

It might be the fact that they are not tapping into the TPS on the DBW. If that is the case, then no it can't. That is a very easy fix.

When you say Darin, you mean from Titan? I will send him a PM about it.
Old 10-20-11, 10:50 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SuprRunner
I would like to speak to them about that then, because at the end of the day, the transmission is just controlled by solenoids. ECU only needs Speed and TPS signals. If it can't control the IS transmission, I don't see how it would be able to control the Supra transmission either.

It might be the fact that they are not tapping into the TPS on the DBW. If that is the case, then no it can't. That is a very easy fix.

When you say Darin, you mean from Titan? I will send him a PM about it.
Darin formerly from Titan. he has his own place now Double D Tuning.

he may be able to describe it better than i can. i am no tuner
Old 10-20-11, 11:02 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Oh, one other thing I would like to add to this thread as an FYI.

DO NOT use v23 firmware on the AEM V2. It has a bug in regards to the speed input, and your AEM will NOT be able to control shifting. As the time of this post, v24 is the latest firmware with the bugfix.
Old 10-20-11, 12:09 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Found the issue....

IS300 is a 5 speed vs a 4 speed. For shifting gears it uses 4 solenoids instead of 2. AEM can control 3 by default so its a matter of figuring out how to control the 4th. This could easily be done with the O/D feature(if the 3rd isn't for that already, but it wouldn't matter than much), but then how would you control O/D. It is quite possible to use another output that is only activated at a certain MPH/load and TPS.

I secondary relay with another similar output as the one just stated could be used to activate a relay forcing one of the other solenoids to de-active if needed in order to get the proper combinatin of soleinods. A little logic and I bet this could be done, in fact I am pretty sure of it.

Last edited by SuprRunner; 10-20-11 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-08-11, 12:14 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Owner needs cash so car is for sale $18,000

Check FS section for further details for questions.
Old 08-01-13, 11:23 PM
Turbocivic
Driver School Candidate

Did u ever finish trans with AEM EMS?

BTW: I know its old thread
Old 08-05-13, 07:15 PM
joelpr1234
Driver School Candidate

I still have my is300 but i never did the tranny with the aem, i will do it if some one can guide me, thanks
Old 11-17-13, 08:12 PM
ATLANTA2
Driver School Candidate

That us a lot of hard work, hope it pays off boosting
Old 05-30-14, 06:27 AM
Justins311
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joelpr1234
I still have my is300 but i never did the tranny with the aem, i will do it if some one can guide me, thanks
mitsuguy over on my.is has done the tranny with the AEM, might want to look him up. Nice build!
Old 09-12-14, 06:52 AM
jkems06
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

awesome build thread! what a beast

Quick Reply: Single turbo IS300 build