Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

starting from scratch!

Old 05-22-11, 06:10 PM
MissLexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting from scratch!

I just purchased my second IS250 on friday...this time around got the all out everything car with all the options I wanted. Now it's time to do some work. Trouble is I have no idea what I'm doing. I haven't done any modifications on a car before and can't say I am very knowledgeable about how to do them myself. So...I am hoping to get some help from the SME's here because I really want to learn how and do it on my own.
First project will be head/tail lights. I can find instructions online somewhere that can help me step by step through the process so I dont need to know that...but what I am really looking for is advice learned from experience...things to consider, things to watch out for, product recommendations, where to find the best deals etc.
Anyone want to throw me their two cents?
Thanks! xo Kristen

Last edited by MissLexus; 05-22-11 at 10:33 PM. Reason: photos
Old 05-22-11, 06:18 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome and congrats. check out the FAQs section, great DIYs to get the modding started.
Old 05-22-11, 06:25 PM
SILVRLININ
Lexus Test Driver

The first step would be deciding what look you want to go for i.e. tuner, vip etc. second, is to make use of the search tool. For example, if your not happy with the amber turn signals on your tails, for a quick cost-effective fix type "redouts" in the search. Otherwise, your other options would be upgrade to ISF or newer 09-11 taillights.

When you have an opportunity, visit Sewell's site for OEM parts, upgrades etc. Prices are fair. Be sure to register as a CL member for significant discounts.

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/

Edit: I just read your other post regarding blacked out lights. Visit CL vendor Aerotect for the film http://aerotect.net/catalog/index.ph...e8460acefa4d7f

Last edited by SILVRLININ; 05-22-11 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-22-11, 06:25 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Welcome to CL. As for the products goes it all depends what you want to add.
Old 05-22-11, 06:27 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What did you have in mind for headlights/taillights? If you currently have HID, a common upgrade is to replace the bulb (i.e. 5000K, 6000K, 8000K, etc). If you don't have HID, there are plenty of aftermarket kits to get you there (more complex than just swapping a bulb, of course).

Other headlight options include replacing the DRL/City lights with LED variants. Plenty of DIYers on this in the forum.

For taillights, mods include covering the orange section with red vinyl for a cleaner appearance or replacing the entire outside taillight section with the ISF version (or eBay replica).

Hope this helps!
Old 05-22-11, 06:29 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Headlights & Taillights aside, the biggest visual improvement is going to come from lowering your car (aftermarket springs or full coilover suspension) and getting a new set of wheels.
Old 05-22-11, 06:31 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

congrats !!!
Old 05-22-11, 06:34 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Since you opted for the 250 I assume you don't care for all-out vehicle performance. So what's left? Exterior, interior, lighting, suspension, and wheels.
Old 05-22-11, 06:41 PM
MissLexus
Driver

I will probably end up getting a kit for the headlights...I have browsed some photos of different kinds and I am thinking of doing maybe blacked out both head and tail lights, or going with blue HID headlights and the clear tail lights...

As for wheels that will definitely be on my short list for my "must haves" but I will want to save up a little bit for those because I always end up liking the most expensive option the most whenever I buy anything haha

Thanks for the site recommendation I will check that out!
Old 05-22-11, 06:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

welcome and congrats!!
Old 05-22-11, 06:49 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Congrats and welcome to CL.

Being on a tight budget, veteran members pointed me to classified. So I'm going to recommend the same.

If you want some cheap deals, don't forget to check the classified section. Once in a while, you'll have members sell their stuff pretty cheap.

I bought most of my mods from classified section here for a good deal. The condition is pretty good and like new.
Old 05-22-11, 07:04 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Welcome to CL... Its always nice to see a female into cars and modding.. Don't forget to look in the IS classifieds. You can find great deals and great mods.. GL..
Old 05-22-11, 07:13 PM
MissLexus
Driver

Thats awesome there is a classifieds section on here! I will definitely be checking that out!
Old 05-22-11, 07:25 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw your post on the other thread...

Originally Posted by MissLexus
Just bought this beautiful 2008 IS 250 AWD on friday...the day I bought it, it was rainy and cloudy so I didnt see it well but later discovered how awesome the paint color is!! I love it! Glacier frost mica is pearly white with shimmers of blue and pink! Its girly which is perfect for me :-) First project will be head/tail lights!
Haha thats true...it's not girly, but it is very beautiful! As for the head/tail lights I am tossing around some ideas... pink HID headlights with clear tail lights, blacked out headlights/ blacked out tail lights, or Blue headlights/blacked out tail lights.
I think if I did the blacked out look with the lights I would want to get black rims too...but one step at a time here :-)
Welcome to CL!!!

But.... please don't to pink headlights, ... you will not be able to see at night!!!

The higher the Kelvin, the less visible light there is.... And I think pink is 10,000k or higher!! The most light will be from 4300k (stock) HIDs...

I say the best option you stated was blacked-out headlight housings and smoked tails + black rims .... But thats just me!

If you want your headlights to have a blue tint to them you can change the bulbs to 6k, but I wouldn't go higher than that. Some people run 8k and say its fine, but there won't be as much visible light output from the bulb.
Old 05-22-11, 07:25 PM
Silkky
Lead Lap

Congrats and welcome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: starting from scratch!