Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

starting from scratch!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-11, 10:43 PM
MissLexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plastic dip emblems? that sounds like a fun little activity!
*sigh* I have so much to learn
Old 05-22-11, 10:44 PM
ekrispin
Driver School Candidate

Id like to follow your Mods, I just bought a 2011 250 with Fsport package and im not sure what to do either?
Old 05-23-11, 02:52 AM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to CL and congrats on the new ride. I must warn the forums are pretty addicting to car enthusiasts... Browse at your own risk...
Old 05-23-11, 03:48 AM
IS250Kevin
Pole Position

I'd recommend color matching your headlights to the car, check out this thread to get a good idea of what can be done since it shows blacked out and color matched headlights (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-all-over.html).

As for tail lights I'd recommend red outs (red vinyl overlay that goes over orange turn signal), easy cheap and does wonders for the tail lights.

My recommnedation would just to keep a really clean modified stock look. Lower the car, get spacers to push the wheels out, and then get a subtle kit (gfx or vertex), trunk spoiler and roof spoiler, and paint the calipers whatever color you'd like.

Many others have said it but it's true, modding a car takes a lot of time, money, and trial and error. Welcome to CL and hopefully the community can make the process a lot easier.
Old 05-23-11, 06:51 AM
MissLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by NoAlias
Welcome to CL and congrats on the new ride. I must warn the forums are pretty addicting to car enthusiasts... Browse at your own risk...
Uhhhhh, yes....I have noticed I have a slight addiction to this forum lol. There is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE That I stayed up until 4am looking through threads on this site. Nope...no chance at all ;-)
Old 05-23-11, 06:58 AM
StpdSavant
Rookie

Originally Posted by MissLexus
So...I am hoping to get some help from the SME's here because I really want to learn how and do it on my own.
You must be in a technical field. :-P
Old 05-23-11, 07:00 AM
omgitsjoe
Pole Position

Congratulations and welcome to CL !!

I think simple yet worthwhile mods for looks could be a rear and roof spoiler both shouldn't' cost more than $200 together and their not really that difficult to install !!

A HID kit would be a must for our cars ! Not so sure why HIDs aren't standard yet but anything between 5000k and 8000k gives off a nice white with a blueish tint towards the 8000k mark. I saw your post about pink hid's which i think it's best to pass on

There's a lot of knowledgable guys on this forum so i'm sure you'll get lots of great advise !! Good luck and Congrats again !
Old 05-23-11, 07:33 AM
MissLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by StpdSavant
You must be in a technical field. :-P
Yes! I am a total nerd as well :-) Currently an account executive and also a recruiter for an IT firm here in Minneapolis so I tend to throw in some technical IT nerd language from time to time!
Old 05-23-11, 07:43 AM
MissLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by IS250Kevin
I'd recommend color matching your headlights to the car, check out this thread to get a good idea of what can be done since it shows blacked out and color matched headlights (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-all-over.html).

As for tail lights I'd recommend red outs (red vinyl overlay that goes over orange turn signal), easy cheap and does wonders for the tail lights.

My recommnedation would just to keep a really clean modified stock look. Lower the car, get spacers to push the wheels out, and then get a subtle kit (gfx or vertex), trunk spoiler and roof spoiler, and paint the calipers whatever color you'd like.

Many others have said it but it's true, modding a car takes a lot of time, money, and trial and error. Welcome to CL and hopefully the community can make the process a lot easier.
Thanks for that link! I think I am definitely set on the blacked out lights for my car. After looking at what feels like millions of photos of different mods people have done to the head/tail lights I think that looks the best for my color of car. Also because I want black rims.
20's would be nice but realistically 19's are likely more practical. Especially because I live in Minnesota and winters here are hell for the roads so potholes and uneven pavement are quite bad.
Old 05-23-11, 09:18 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250Kevin
Yup, also the platitude you get what you pay for is never truer in the aftermarket world.

Miss, are blacked out lights legal in MN?
Old 05-23-11, 09:36 AM
MissLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by macmaster
Yup, also the platitude you get what you pay for is never truer in the aftermarket world.

Miss, are blacked out lights legal in MN?
Are they legal in MN?? Good question! I don't know actually...I assume you mean headlights? I am certain it's fine for the taillights. My guess is that it probably is illegal...MN is great at making fun things against the law...we can't even go to the liquor store on Sundays! The real question should be....do I care if it's "legal"? Meh
Old 05-23-11, 09:37 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're uncomfortable with spray tinting your tail light. I believe there are tint films that you can apply. They sell the pre-cut ones that is in the shape your tail lights. It's pretty simple and requires a bit of patience.

It's just like putting a sticker on your car. It's fully reversible.

Or you can go with "Redout" which is a small red tint used to hide the yellow turn signal on your tail lights.

This DIY is also used to apply any films such as fog light overlays.

Cost :$20 bucks from eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Taill...Q5fAccessories

As with eBay, do a bit of searching for the highest reviews.
Materials: squeegee, spray bottle, clean work area/garage

Steps.

In a clean environment / garage.

1. Clean your tail lights. (soap and water)
2. Mix a batch of solution ( 1% baby shampoo : 99% water ) in a spray bottle.
3. Spray the solution on the tail lights
4. Wash you hands and spray solution on your hands
5. peel tint and spray solution on adhesive side of tint
6. lay it over the tail lights
7. Adjust it to ensure it's centers
7. spray solution on top side of tint
8. Use a squeeqee and from center to out/edges
9. Work it to remove all air bubbles
10. Use a hair dryer to heat the edge when you have hard time getting it fit around curved area and slowly work it with squeegee
11. If necessary re-apply the solution to make squeegee easier

For roof spoilers, you can check out eBay. They sell nice replica kits and spoilers for cheap. The quality is pretty good for that price. Please note that if you have white/starfire pearl, it's a hit or miss. Sometime they'll match the paint and sometime it will be a bit off. But other members with another color have gotten good results. It cost like 87 bucks for a painted roof spoiler.
Old 05-23-11, 10:12 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to CL. It's nice to see women excited about modding their cars. Especially when they want to do it themselves. The first thing I do when I have a project car is see what I like to have on my car by looking at other peoples cars. I also believe tint, lower, wheels can go a long way to make your car as beautiful as you are. Meanwhile you can do the mini mods yourself while saving. I've spent over 25K on my car, but LOVE the looks or thumbs up I get while driving it. Good luck on your project and remember....Get what you want! Even if you have to wait for it. Don't settle for something that is cheap and regret it later.
Old 05-23-11, 11:27 AM
MissLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Welcome to CL. It's nice to see women excited about modding their cars. Especially when they want to do it themselves. The first thing I do when I have a project car is see what I like to have on my car by looking at other peoples cars. I also believe tint, lower, wheels can go a long way to make your car as beautiful as you are. Meanwhile you can do the mini mods yourself while saving. I've spent over 25K on my car, but LOVE the looks or thumbs up I get while driving it. Good luck on your project and remember....Get what you want! Even if you have to wait for it. Don't settle for something that is cheap and regret it later.
I have definitely spent lots of time looking at the photo threads on here to see what others have done. I have lots of ideas of my own though :-) I have been thinking even more of attempting to do my own custom ideas...but I will get to that later. I definitely agree that getting something cheap would be a waste...

How much should I plan on spending for wheels? I should probably know now so I can start budgeting for them :-)
Old 05-23-11, 11:52 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

welcome to CL...getting your lexus from a honda dealer?

Quick Reply: starting from scratch!