Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

2Gen GS300...LS2 6-Speed Build Thread

Old 10-30-11, 10:00 AM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
You couldn't just reuse the GS sensor? I suppose just because it's metric threaded, other than that I don't see why you can't use the oem one?
Nope. The ECT sensor runs to the stock PCM then multiplex signal to the instrument cluster.

I will get it to work eventually using the GM sensor. I have some very smart friends who are going to make me a converter box so the gauge will read properly and I can adjust the temp range!

You mean your going to go for something similar to the way I molded mine? I thought about modifying the shifter to come through the stock hole like you've done but then decided not to as the cupholder assembly is to deep anyway and is still in the way below which it why I guess yours are missing also even though you moved the shifter over.

I'll tell you what though, I MISS MY CUPHOLDERS!!!! I never realized how much I used them until I had none. Best I can do now it flip the rear armrest down and reach back to put drinks in the popout holder there. Bottled drinks only these days too..

But I suppose you already understand since you don't have cupholders with the panel you have now..
That is why the shifter is in the factory location i am making a new piece of plastic. I will have new cup holders. Putting them in the back seat holders suck!
Old 10-30-11, 10:01 AM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Just curious, what rim width and tire sizes are you running? I didn't see it in the thread, maybe I missed it.
19x8.5 - 245/35

19x9.5 - 275/30
Old 10-30-11, 10:32 AM
cdg306
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get a gauge pod and some Autometer gauges. They are way more accurate then the factory stuff anyways.
Old 10-30-11, 10:33 AM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cdg306
Just get a gauge pod and some Autometer gauges. They are way more accurate then the factory stuff anyways.
no thanks. I don't do auto meters. that sticks out like a sore thumb. and i like everything working, like OEM.
Old 10-30-11, 10:39 AM
cdg306
Rookie

Generally I would agree with you. But if I had that much time and money invested in to a project I'd want to be able to see at a quick glance at all times how the vehicle is running.
Old 10-30-11, 10:48 AM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cdg306
Generally I would agree with you. But if I had that much time and money invested in to a project I'd want to be able to see at a quick glance at all times how the vehicle is running.

That's why I have a scan gauge and cannot be seen when the car is off. It reads like 17 parameters straight from the PCM.
Old 10-30-11, 11:03 AM
cdg306
Rookie

Scan Gauge would work too. I have one that get's passed from vehicle of mine and it's a nice piece. Just don't leave it up to the factory idiot lights and gauges. =)
Old 10-31-11, 01:25 PM
importhope
Lead Lap

Wow. Just watched your dyne run... it sounds tastefully rich and throaty. Congrats on the phenomenal build thread. It has been awesome to follow your progress and see the end result.

I know you had a a lot of parts donated by manufacturers, but ballpark estimate, what would this same swap run? I realize you were meticulous and retained all the luxury features, just curious like a lot of others how practical/feasible this swap would be. Again, thanks for this invaluable build thread Mike.
Old 10-31-11, 04:45 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by importhope
Wow. Just watched your dyne run... it sounds tastefully rich and throaty. Congrats on the phenomenal build thread. It has been awesome to follow your progress and see the end result.

I know you had a a lot of parts donated by manufacturers, but ballpark estimate, what would this same swap run? I realize you were meticulous and retained all the luxury features, just curious like a lot of others how practical/feasible this swap would be. Again, thanks for this invaluable build thread Mike.
so many variables. all depends on the engine chosen and how detailed and how far you want to go with it.
Old 11-01-11, 06:42 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you still retain your ABS? and if so, how did you go about it? What Lexus parts did you keep or instead utilize from GM? Also how hard was it dealing with the State smog referee? Or did the Dept of motor Veh. let you go to any private smog shop and just come and show them the results. Was it a test only smog station or a test and fix?

I spoke to a state smog ref.(BAR? - Burea of autotive repair) and he gave me a green light on an LS1/LS2 ( newer than 1st Gen GS3000, and cleaner running engines so supposedly not a problem) as long as I use the stock GM emissions equipment(cat, manifold,etc). Did you run into any issues with this?

Did you have any thoughts on using the 6.0L/5.3L truck motor[LQ4](-Iron Block, 60% cheaper than LS1). Did you not go that route because there is a chance the smog referee would not pass it due to it being from a truck? Or was it because there was more assistance and support for an LS1/2 swap available when needed?

Sorry for so many questions, but I have 2 different routes to go (5.7L-LS1, 6.0L-LS2, or 5.3L/6.0L-LQ4) and I would like to choose the most economical.

Any insight you could give would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure will assist several future members on this board.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by AMSMIKE
sorry i must have missed your post earlier.

This swap is not for everyone. Thats for sure. and its only 5 pages. you must have NOOB settings

I like the muscle car sound, however being a luxury car; I chose a different route on the exhaust to give the best performance and a quiet sound at idle and light throttle. However at WOT it sounds like a BEAST. Just the way I wanted it.

So far my coolant temp doesnt work. because of how the Lexus one works with the factory pcm. However I am lucky and a few engineering friends are going to make a signal converter box to make the GM sensor read out onto the factory gauge.

Other than that, I lost nothing. except the factory 3.0L motor

check out the link in my post above (DYNO VIDEO)

Last edited by kene; 11-01-11 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-01-11, 09:19 AM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kene
Did you still retain your ABS? and if so, how did you go about it? What Lexus parts did you keep or instead utilize from GM? Also how hard was it dealing with the State smog referee? Or did the Dept of motor Veh. let you go to any private smog shop and just come and show them the results. Was it a test only smog station or a test and fix?

I spoke to a state smog ref.(BAR? - Burea of autotive repair) and he gave me a green light on an LS1/LS2 ( newer than 1st Gen GS3000, and cleaner running engines so supposedly not a problem) as long as I use the stock GM emissions equipment(cat, manifold,etc). Did you run into any issues with this?

Did you have any thoughts on using the 6.0L/5.3L truck motor[LQ4](-Iron Block, 60% cheaper than LS1). Did you not go that route because there is a chance the smog referee would not pass it due to it being from a truck? Or was it because there was more assistance and support for an LS1/2 swap available when needed?

Sorry for so many questions, but I have 2 different routes to go (5.7L-LS1, 6.0L-LS2, or 5.3L/6.0L-LQ4) and I would like to choose the most economical.

Any insight you could give would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure will assist several future members on this board.

Thanks.
ABS is retained using lexus equip. However I am removing the entire ABS system shortly and going with a non-abs booster.

The ONLY way to legalize an engine change is through B.A.R. in California. You go to a state referee they assign you too when you call for an appointment.

You do it all right and you pass. If something is wrong, they tell you. I have BAR'd most all my cars, so I understand how it all works. Nothing hard about it, just a lot of work and to me, its well worth it.

Cannot use a truck engine. Must use an engine from a car and must be same year or newer and more efficient than the factory engine. Basically my car has to act and look like whatever car the engine came out of. Just in a different chassis.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-05-11, 09:20 AM
00Formula
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
The ONLY ONLY reason why I don't think I personally would ever go down this road is because I feel the car would sound too much like a muscle car or hot rod. I like when luxury / sport sedans sound rather civilized during normal driving but sound beastly at WOT. This thing would probably sound like your at the dragstrip at all times...especially if you have an aggressive exhaust. High performance...no doubt! and I'm sure you will mop the floors against many HP cars but it is "starting" to veer away from being what a Lexus GS is IMHO.
If you retain the catalytic converts and the stock mufflers, I would bet you could barely tell the difference in sound between the stock Lexus engine and the LS2. At that point you could put an electric cutout on the car if you wanted it to sound like a hot rod at the flip of a switch.
Old 11-09-11, 04:01 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

re-doing the center console to make the factory one work WITH cup holders!

next up (this weekend) make the shift boot!

Old 11-10-11, 07:14 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AMSMIKE
ABS is retained using lexus equip. However I am removing the entire ABS system shortly and going with a non-abs booster.
very interested in this mod....
Old 11-10-11, 07:28 AM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedaddic
very interested in this mod....
1.) Must piggy back stock Lexus PCM to make the ABS work.

2.) I will document everything for a write up when I remove the ABS and all the components and go with a non-abs booster and Wilwood Prop valve.

My guess is within the next 2 months I will do the booster swap. I have a lot of other things going on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2Gen GS300...LS2 6-Speed Build Thread