Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loving the build
Old 06-27-16, 01:35 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Couple little updates.

- Got a bunch of stuff dropped off at Twin City Powder Coating in Lino. After a little boondoggle figuring out colors, I think I'm good to go now. Most of the stuff is getting fine texture black to just keep it looking clean/simple/semi-OEM. Couple things are getting a different color for a slight contrast. Again trying to keep it clean/simple/not flashy, I went with a silver color. Depending on the lighting, the silver does have a very slight light brown/bronze hue to it. Stuff on left will be silver, stuff on right will be black.

- Got the bellhousing cut off the trans. Got the input shaft cover off and the stud shaved down. Waiting on a seal, should be here in a couple days, and then I should be able to mount the adapter to the trans. Also still waiting on Flywheel...

Old 06-29-16, 03:13 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Got the adapter plate mounted to the trans today.

Also made up a little mounting plate rough cut for the AEM ECU. Picked up some 1/4" thick ABS Plastic. Will clean it up a little and start mounting things to it.

Old 06-29-16, 09:40 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

looks great. so what type of clutch flywheel does this setup use now? is it back to 2jz stuff
Old 06-29-16, 09:54 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

It's a custom flywheel made by Collins, aluminum with replaceable friction surface. It bolts right up to the JZ motors. But it is drilled to accept any off the shelf single disc 350z clutch. Lots of good options with 350z clutches that don't break the bank. The setup I have is a 2700lb pressure plate and sprung 6-puck rated at 715tq. For more torque they make it with a ~3000lb pressure plate. So basically you have good single disc clutch options that should hold up to 700-800tq, and they aren't that spendy. My clutch setup was around $625 shipped.
Old 06-30-16, 05:29 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

looking forward to this new setup ... looks promising

a question for you and everyone else who have used this CD009 on an SC (considering the shifters available now) and a V160 on an SC ,

How would you compare the shifting (Shifter gear changing) ... ?
Old 06-30-16, 06:36 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

I've never been in a V160 so I can't really comment. What I can say is that on my old "row-boat" shifter, this transmission shifted very nicely / smoothly. I'd say it felt just as nice as my W58, light years better than my old DSM shifted.

This new shifter setup we've been working on that's made from a modified 240sx short shifter, it seems like the left to right movement is very small. I'm a little worried, but everyone I've talked to says you get used to it so I'm still going to give it a go. Probably just like how I got used to my row boat setup maybe, you get used to it.

Sorry that's about the best feedback I can give for now.
Old 06-30-16, 08:11 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

The V160 shifter is nice and spread out. with the 240sx shifter its like a super short shifter version of that pattern, not much movement and you are into gear but its very crisp. some of the ones they sell online look like they have a better throw but I would guess they are shorter than the v160 still.

Halon you know that piece you made, I think the lower it is where the ball of the shifter goes into it, the more left to right movement there is, if you wanted to tweak it but it seems ok as it is, definitely I would call it a short shifter though.
Old 06-30-16, 09:10 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

If everything fits with this new fitting, I think I'm done screwing around and am just going to go with it as-is. If the shifter iteself ends up super low in the interior, I may pick up a short extension, which should actually give it a little more 'throw'. No idea how much of a difference it'd actually make though.
Old 06-30-16, 09:43 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah you will get used to it in no time, I had a short shifter on the remote shift w58 at one point and it was super short like the one we ended up with.
when my brother had his FD rx7, he had a short shifter on it that basically was like cilcking up and down and left and right, it was almost exactly like the 240sx one we made. thats why I figure everyone would get used to it cause alot of people prefer it once they do.

have no idea what height it will end up at, yeah adding more height would do it also.
Old 06-30-16, 08:37 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Some small updates here. I got the AEM mounting plate cleaned up at work a bit. As good as I care to get it. Pretty happy with how it turned out, considering it was just like a $8 chunk of plastic

Got the 3rd design of the shifter fitting back from getting machined today (Thanks Rosey!). I think this is pretty much done. The shifting left to right is so close, I feel like I'm going to be experiencing a lot of miss-shifts. But everyone keeps telling me you get used to it. So we will see.

Got the trans pretty much buttoned up then. Got the slave installed. Flywheel should be here tomorrow. Powdercoat is 'supposed' to be done tomorrow. So time to just hunker down and start getting stuff installed.

Old 07-01-16, 04:46 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
I've never been in a V160 so I can't really comment. What I can say is that on my old "row-boat" shifter, this transmission shifted very nicely / smoothly. I'd say it felt just as nice as my W58, light years better than my old DSM shifted.

This new shifter setup we've been working on that's made from a modified 240sx short shifter, it seems like the left to right movement is very small. I'm a little worried, but everyone I've talked to says you get used to it so I'm still going to give it a go. Probably just like how I got used to my row boat setup maybe, you get used to it.

Sorry that's about the best feedback I can give for now.
Originally Posted by Ali SC3
The V160 shifter is nice and spread out. with the 240sx shifter its like a super short shifter version of that pattern, not much movement and you are into gear but its very crisp. some of the ones they sell online look like they have a better throw but I would guess they are shorter than the v160 still.

Halon you know that piece you made, I think the lower it is where the ball of the shifter goes into it, the more left to right movement there is, if you wanted to tweak it but it seems ok as it is, definitely I would call it a short shifter though.
Ok .. thanks guys . I look forward to every progress by everyone as this 6 speed setup mature as time pass. Not in a hurry anyway converting my Old Man Tan into a 6 speed.

I asked just to have an idea . Having 5 cars with V160 , am afraid , I will unfairly compare one to the other and thus discourage me on that tranny. So on the get go , I want to know how it is so I know right away what to expect if ever I decide to try it.
Old 07-01-16, 05:20 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good, almost ready to cruise it again!

Is that bolt going through your machined piece too long? Looks like you might have some contact with the under side of the shifter housing. Also, another thing that you might want to do is mock fit the driveshaft in place, rotate it until the highest point of the knuckle is under your shifter piece, and then make sure that you can hit all of the gears without hitting the knuckle with your shifter piece. You may need to put a slight chamfer on those bottom edges if you are hitting.

It would suck to get it all back together and then have to pull it all off again because of that
Old 07-01-16, 06:15 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

I did put the driveshaft in on my last piece. Was lots of clearance. This piece sits I think about 2mm lower so I doubt it'll hit. But yeah I'll throw it on again just to check.

And yes the bolt is too long, lol. I can only do so much in a day, and that's the bolt I had sitting at home for test fitup. An M6 x 35mm is a perfect flush fit Would love to just use a button head bolt coming from the top so there is max clearance, but you can't put it in from the top with the shifter plate installed. So I'll keep it like this I think.
Attached Thumbnails Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)-20160701_080927.jpg  
Old 07-01-16, 06:43 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm interested to hear about how much easier the CD009 installation is with having the new a340 adapter and bellhousing vs the stock cd009 one. Does this basically solve the size issue of the trans?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)