Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)

Old 08-20-14, 05:20 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How is the trans holding up so far?

And if you had to do it all over again what would you have done different?

Car came a long way!! Outstanding job.
Old 08-20-14, 06:57 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

So far so good. It's hard to really say though since I haven't been pushing a lot of power through it. Hopefully I get on the dyno here soon and can get some decent WOT tuning done.

If I could go back and do it again, I'I guess I'm not sure what I'd do. The 2 issues I see with this trans is it's so big it's just a bear to install/remove with the engine still in the car, I dread having to remove it or install it again. But everything has it's pros and cons. And the shifter is not ideal. I've gotten used to the shifter though and it's really not an issue for me anymore. It is pretty smooth shifting, strong enough that I shouldn't ever really have to worry about it breaking, so that's real nice.

In the end everything has it's pro's and con's I suppose. I do think if I could do it again I'd just get Collins standard flywheel/clutch setup rather than my adapter. Going that route requires milling of the bellhousing which may not be the easiest thing to do, but that little bit of material removal would help with install/removal of the trans. Every little bit that trans can be shortened would help.

I also noticed a place called Maverick that sells a kit as well. Their adapter plate is a hair thinner, and again every little bit helps I think.

Just anyone attempting to do this swap, don't expect a straight forward bolt in and done kind of job. Collins has everything you need though to make it work. Adapter, Flywheel, Clutch, Mount, Driveshaft, etc. Just realize it will take some skill on your end to make it all come together.
Old 08-20-14, 11:21 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh i know!

Reason i asked , was ive been doing my own research and i like that trans ,I just hate the fact that you have to do alot of modifications to make it work on your car... and couple guys ive met running the setup complain about the Custumer service.

Again like you say they are always pros and cons.

ill go through your thread one more time and see what i find.

I glad it working out for you, now turn the boost up and see what it does!!

Thanks again for feedback.
Old 08-20-14, 02:03 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Customer service meaning Collins?
Old 08-29-14, 09:35 PM
babowc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've asked ya several times about your build, but it is coming along!
Excited to see what your numbers will be.. I'm over here just gathering parts endlessly, haha.
Old 03-23-15, 10:50 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any plans to dyno soon?
Old 03-31-15, 05:53 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Long time no update. Hasn't been much to update anyway. But did do some small stuff.

First, I feel like the sound quality coming from the China head unit left a bit to be desired. The aux input plug was becoming intermittent, and the bluetooth streaming was just horrendous, it's like it only streamed treble. So, I picked up a new Sony unit off Amazon for $150. It doesn't have GPS but I never really used that anyway, just use my phone. It does do DVD though, has aux in, USB in, and bluetooth which included a mic. So that is installed, and man everything sounds so much better. So if anyone wants a china unit, I have one up for bid lol.

Also, I had my twin 255's installed but still on stock wiring. So I picked up some relays and did a rewire. I bought a bulkhead stud connector off Summit that seems to work good for passing the power through the tank lid rather than connecting it back to the stock small wiring for passing through that which seems kind of like a waste to do all that just to have it go back down to a tiny wire at the end. Can immediately tell they are louder than they used to be. I mounted both relays so I'd have an installed spare in case the one dies. I've never had one die on me before but I've read several stories of relay failures so I figured for how cheap they are why not have one in there ready to rock just in case.

I also did an oil change with some Pennzoil Platinum and a Wix filter. I will be changing out the tranny fluid with some Redline MT-85, then putting some Amsoil in the diff. At that point, take it on a few test drives and then I'll be shipping the car off to Jordan (Shaodome) in Florida to get this thing running like a top hopefully.

That's about it for now!
Old 05-02-15, 02:23 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey man anything new here? I referred a newer member to read your thread front to back for NA-T info, always liked the route you took with this car. So last you said you were getting a tune. Why not just fly him in to tune it, wine and dine, then send him back, would that be cheaper, plus a small get away for him..?
Old 05-03-15, 02:04 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Trying to schedule tuning currently.
Old 05-04-15, 06:06 AM
Reyke
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Fly him in? Not to get off track here but if I was a businessman my time for travel, food, hotel, tuning and paying a shop to use their dyno would be a bigger price tag than sending my car off to get tuned.

Hope your car makes great numbers I've been following your thread closely.
Old 05-05-15, 01:24 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Reyke
Fly him in? Not to get off track here but if I was a businessman my time for travel, food, hotel, tuning and paying a shop to use their dyno would be a bigger price tag than sending my car off to get tuned.

Hope your car makes great numbers I've been following your thread closely.
Yeah, you're probably right but for a good tune and a loved car, flying in a tuner is not at all uncommon or as outlandishly expensive as you think. I can guarantee for the cost of shipping a car across country, round trip, that distance is far less than a plane ticket and hotel/restaurant accomodations. The rest is a wash since he's going to be paying for dyno/tuning time anywhere.
Old 05-05-15, 03:18 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Round trip shipping will be more expensive than flying him here.

I did change out the diff fluid with some amsoil, and changed out tranny fluid with some redline mt-85. Car has been running great. I have dyno time scheduled at RavenWorks for 5/20. Going to give it a shot locally before flying in any gurus. RavenWorks I think is plenty capable, it's just the quirks of MS that can be a ***** and is where Jordan comes in if things don't go well. Fingers crossed.

Goal isn't anything crazy though. Just a quick dyno session focusing on WOT fuel and timing curves since idle and cruising is spot on right now. Going to keep it at WG spring boost levels (17ish psi), and aim for a very conservative tune. Then just enjoy it, and perhaps turn up the boost little by little as I get more comfortable with it.
Old 05-11-15, 04:26 PM
95SC3T
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what did you do with the blue and white wire that is grouped together in the yellow wrap? Did you just tie those back into the power wire?
Old 05-12-15, 04:57 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

The wires in the yellow wrap are the original fuel pump signal wires. So those are wired to the relay coil, to energize the relay.
Old 05-20-15, 07:20 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

RavenWorks dyno session today went extremely well with Bob. 1st pull was on WG only boost (10psi creeping to 13psi). Pull was smooth, zero issues, and made 450hp/380tq. Over the course of the next 2hrs or so, we had it up to 20psi. We were trying to keep it at a decent yet conservative boost level, and same conservative mindset for the tune, don't shoot for the moon. Ended up at 545hp/462tq @ 20psi (falling to 17psi by redline). Full boost around 4300rpm, rev'd it out to 7600rpm (again, conservative redline). These are heart breaker SuperFlow numbers (probably closer to 575 on a DynoJet). Also the WB reading were off by about .5-.6, we were actually right around 12.1. Extremely happy with the results. Car never skipped a beat the entire time, ran absolutely flawlessly. That's plenty for me to have fun with this season, so just leaving it at that. Next year if everything holds together, I'll go for more.

Huge thanks to Bob, he did a great job and was a pleasure dealing with him. Also props to Shane as he had the idle/drivability already dialed in so well we didn't touch it. Shane couldn't do WOT tunes because of issues, so that was the goal of this session. Lucky to have such great resources locally! Also might I add, the RavenWorks facility was in a class of its own, so clean and so much impressive machinery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG1A...ature=youtu.be
[youtube]nG1AGj6fwc0[/youtube]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)