Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-16, 08:54 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Donor setup for the motor build out of an IS300, paid $300.

2JZ VVTi NO SHTi

Old 09-20-16, 08:19 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Trans looks good in there with the new bellhousing kit. Nice score on the vvti motor, that should be a fun project for sure!!
Old 09-20-16, 11:54 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Ali, I'm excited to try out VVTi. I think it'll also let me step into a larger turbo than I'd usually consider since it'll be able to offset any added 'lag' a larger turbo might come with. I've been eyeing the Borg Warner SXE 64 and 66mm. This motor build will take place over a year or two though, so will be awhile yet. I need to focus on getting the car back driving as-is for now and enjoy it!

Side note, just purchased some guts for this motor. Huge thanks to Tony @ Real St. for spending weeks answering question after question from me, going through my pages of notes / calculations, verifying my math was correct with their well known engine builder Jay, and overall helping me come up with what I believe is an absolute solid hardware choice while still being budget oriented. These rods I think will take anything I can ever throw at them, they are beefy, and extremely reasonably priced!

Manley Pistons, 86.5mm, 9:1 rated compression (will be around 9.9:1 in my GE setup based on my math).
http://realstreetperformance.com/Sho...ra-2JZGTE.html

Manley H-Tuff Rods.
http://realstreetperformance.com/Sho...a-2JZ-GTE.html
Old 09-30-16, 09:17 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Some parts arrived in the mail today. Thanks Tony @ Real St.

Old 09-30-16, 07:03 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow! the pics on my phone doesn't do these justice! Nice parts man!
Old 10-01-16, 06:10 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome man! Can't wait to see this all come together. Are you going to run the VVTi head?
Old 10-01-16, 07:00 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
Awesome man! Can't wait to see this all come together. Are you going to run the VVTi head?
That's the plan. I want to see what vvti can do for me.
Old 10-01-16, 11:10 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

will you need VVTi manifolds then? or will your current ones still fit?
Old 10-01-16, 11:23 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Shouldn't need new manifolds since it's a GE head. All GE heads (vvti or non vvti) are the same flanges as far as I'm aware.
Old 10-18-16, 07:08 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

I got the motor stripped down mostly here. Dan (engine builder) said that's good enough, so I'll hopefully be bringing this to him within maybe a month or so to start work on the block.

Vlad loaded up the tune for my Infinity and got it started late last week which was awesome! Found that injectors 5 & 6 were not firing though. Must have been the sitting for so long / e85 got them all jammed up or something. They wouldn't even click when I jumpered 12V to them. Sent all 6 off to Cleveland Injector Hospital. They got them Monday in the mail, cleaned and flowed all 6, and had them back in the mail by Monday evening. Great guy, great work, great turn around! So I should have them back either tomorrow of Thursday. Should take care of that issue!

Ordered a new PS pump because mine is squeeling like crazy when we got it fired up, wonder if it just dried up and seals went bad sitting for so long or something. So I'll be putting that in once it arrives. I also have a small leak, so I have a new hose fitting coming to fix that as well.

Got some more parts in the mail. My ARP main studs showed up. Also got a billet timing tensioner from Boostwerx (Dave H) for a steal! Also got a basic spring upgrade (BC Single Springs w/ Ti Retainers). Plan is to run them with the stock buckets/shims, should be plenty for up to 8k from what I've gathered. Robert @ Real St. if you're seeing this, sorry man. Found a guy selling these springs for NOTHING still new in box from his abandoned build plans. Sorry I was planning to buy from you, but literally found these for a steal ($250) and couldn't pass it up.

That's about it for now. Saving up for some cams from Real St., and that will basically be it for parts for the motor build.

Old 11-10-16, 04:33 PM
jwynn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
Spoiler experiment

OEM 1999 Accord coupe spoiler (brake light is still in the mail). Kind of gives you an idea of how it'll look, once I drill the holes it will obviouslly sit down flush on the trunk.

Basically I've been going for the spoiler look on this guys car. Unfortunately he has no idea what spoiler it is. So after searching and searching, I seriouslly think it's an OEM 99 accord coupe spoiler, so I got one from a junk yard for cheap, hence my experiment It's a little different than the OEM 97+ SC300 one, similar, but different, and different enough that I wanted to try and find it rather than run the 97 SC300 one.

Hey did you have to do any mods to make this spoiler work??
Old 11-10-16, 04:42 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

i just drilled the two holes for each side to mount it, thats it
Old 11-10-16, 06:07 PM
jwynn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
i just drilled the two holes for each side to mount it, thats it
Im sorry will it fit where the oem holes are for 99 spoiler? Your trunk might not of had holes prior. Thanks for reply
Old 11-11-16, 02:29 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jwynn
Im sorry will it fit where the oem holes are for 99 spoiler? Your trunk might not of had holes prior. Thanks for reply
correct, my car never had a spoiler so there were no existing holes.
Old 11-21-16, 09:34 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Picked up a set of Manley single springs/retainers/locks for a steal. Going to run these instead of the single BC's, so those have been sold. The advertised pressures are very similar between the sets with Manley being just a hair stiffer (which I noted below). Before I shipped the BC's I took some quick weight measurements with my little scale just for my own curiosity sake which I figured I'd share in case anyone else is ever curious.

Note the BC ones I only measured in ounces. I didn't realize the scale could measure in grams until later, which I think is a nicer more granular measurement, but oh well. So you'll see the weights below only in Oz for the BC's, and in both Oz and Grams for the Manley's. With the scale set on Oz, the weights appear pretty much identical. When I start the head work, I'm going to measure a set of stock ones to see what they weigh for comparison sake.

BC
Seat @ 1.325"= 80lbs; Open @ 0.980"= 158lbs
Retainer 0.2oz
Spring 1.2oz
Total 1.4oz

Manley
Seat @ 1.325"= 82lbs; Open @ 0.985" @ 165lbs; 0.895 @ 187lbs
Retainer 0.2oz / 6g
Spring 1.2oz / 32g
Total 1.4oz / 38g

BC

Manley

Quick Reply: Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)