Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 06:26 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
Gerrb, I'm not going to make any more of those shifter pieces. But if you look in that thread I started called CAD File Sharing, I put the design in there so you can use that to have your own made.
ok... thanks
Old 09-02-16, 02:59 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Got the radiator mounted with the new IS300 fans. Had to make up some fairly simple brackets from aluminum angle, but they are on there solid. I like the new look over the big clutch fan. Also I like how this fan shroud has a built in overflow reservoir.

I need to wire it to an Infinity output, so that still needs to be done yet.

The hardware to mount this fan setup cost me less than $20 at Menards. I sketched my brackets on some graph paper. I will draw them up in Solidworks and post them up in my CAD File Sharing thread, along with some instructions on how I did it everything. That way anyone else looking into doing this can duplicate my exact mounting setup should they so desire.

Old 09-02-16, 03:49 PM
1999sc300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey! I've been reading through this thread because I saw that you are running a 98-02 Honda Accord Coupe spoiler on your SC. I was also inspired by that same SC that you had posted a picture of with that same spoiler setup, and am trying to fit up one to my SC. I'm just wondering, how did you get it to fit well? For me, since the trunk is a little round and the spoiler has a pretty flat profile where it would mount up, I can't seem to find a spot to mount it up where it wouldn't have gaps between the trunk and the spoiler. Did you have this problem too, or did yours fit better? Or did you have a body shop fit it up?

Really digging your SC so far as well, I'll have to spend some time reading more of this thread because there's a lot to learn!

Thanks!
Old 09-02-16, 04:30 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

I installed it myself. Nothing special, just found where I like it. Mine is an oem spoiler so it has two studs that secure it to the trunk lid. Not sure if yours does, or if yours is aftermarket and just sticks to the trunk. I wouldn't trust just adhesive.

Thanks for the kind words!!
Old 09-02-16, 05:25 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Halon - where did you buy those fans ? They don't seem to be original IS300 / 250 fans . Do the fan motors have serial / part numbers ? Reason I ask is , a set of IS300 fans will have one 7 blade and one 5 blade fans . The original IS motors I believe produce 3300cfm that is why they are good.
Old 09-02-16, 05:41 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

I'll look at the fans and see if there is any info. I just bought them new off Amazon. I figured they weren't actual oem, but oem "replacements". I didn't really want old used dirty oem ones.
Old 09-02-16, 05:59 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I'll look at the fans and see if there is any info. I just bought them new off Amazon. I figured they weren't actual oem, but oem "replacements". I didn't really want old used dirty oem ones.
I got you. As long as they last as long as the original ones and produce the same or more air flow (cfm) then I guess they will be alright. It is just that I know the 5 blades pull more air that is the reason I even replaced the 7 blades with 5 blades. When you have more blades the pitch and the shape of the blades changes too which affects the amount of air they pull or push. And as far as experiences from Supra guys go , the only electric fans that really worked for them so far in hot Arizona weathers are the IS300 fans or the stock clutch fan . PHR made an aluminum shroud for them too.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-02-16 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-02-16, 06:43 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Right, which is why I went with IS300 fans, albeit not actual OEM Toyota but aftermarket factory replacements that "meet or exceed" OEM specs. I do understand what you're saying though, and appreciate you looking out. I'm sure I could always swap blades if need be. We also don't deal with AZ heat up north here, lol.

The shroud looks the same as actual OE, so these brackets I'm going to draw up should work for them too.

ill have to get these brackets powder coated next time I have another batch of parts to bring in. Theyll be extremely subtle coatede black.
Old 09-03-16, 12:20 PM
1999sc300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed it myself. Nothing special, just found where I like it. Mine is an oem spoiler so it has two studs that secure it to the trunk lid. Not sure if yours does, or if yours is aftermarket and just sticks to the trunk. I wouldn't trust just adhesive.

Thanks for the kind words!!
Mine is an OEM replacement, and mounts the same way. My problem is the fitment, anywhere I could mount it to cover the holes from the original spoiler (mine's a '99) would leave gaps between the spoiler and the trunk. It looks like yours fits really well so I was curious how you got it to fit so well, or does yours have slight gaps too?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-16, 11:04 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

^^ I can try and snap a few pictures for you so you can see better.

Side note. It's not going to happen right away, but I'm slowly starting to gather parts for a built bottom end. Not that I need it, but with this engine being higher mile, it does have a few leaks, including the rear main which I can tell now that the trans is off. I'm going to let this motor buck for awhile yet, but eventually it needs a refresh. And while I'm at it, figure might as well throw some upgraded internals at it. I've been talking with Tony at Real St. and came up with a setup I think I'll be very happy with.
- Manley H-Tuff Rods / ARP2000 bolts
- Manley Pistons (86.5mm, come in 9:1 or 10:1)
- ACL Race Bearings
- ARP Main Studs / OEM Main Caps

Chose these parts after MUCH consideration. These rods are very affordable, yet you can tell they are much beefier than other 'budget' rods. I'm confident they will hold well into the 4 figures. Then just going with the matching Manley pistons just made sense to me, especially considering their price and their different CR options. This overall setup should keep my very safe up to around 1000hp we feel. In the extremely rare event I want to go beyond that, the hardware I selected should be plenty up to the task, however I'd probably add billet main caps. But being that I don't ever see myself going beyond (or even reaching) 1000, it just didn't make sense to do right now since billet mains are atleast $1k+ adder to the motor build.

The only thing I'm up in the air about is the pistons, to get the 9:1 or 10:1. 10:1 seems like the no brainer option, except once you realise that CR number is based on a GTE setup. Being that I'm a GE block, GE head, GE headgasket, my quick calcs put me around 11.2:1 with those which is a bit higher than I'd like, but potentially do-able since I only run e85. The 9:1 pistons would put me around 9.9:1 which sounds excellent. However if I ever end up at a point where I feel I need to run say a GTE headgasket, that'll drop me down to the low 9's on those which is lower than I'd prefer, or in the low 10's with the "10:1" pistons which is ideal. So I'm kind of up in the air right now on that single choice, but I'm leaning towards the "9:1" set.
Old 09-12-16, 08:19 AM
Aeok18109
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spent the morning rereading this thread. Still hype about the car. Love what you have done and looking forward to the bottom end build.
Old 09-12-16, 08:34 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Hey thanks man! Appreciate the kind words!
Old 09-14-16, 08:25 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Got my ARP main studs and ACL Race Bearings in hand. Still working through the little details on the exact rods/pistons I'm going to get with Real St. Very knowledgeable and helpful group of folks when it comes to the 2JZ. Glad they are helping me to make sure I end up with the best bang for the buck setup for my goals.

Also, got the transmission in. So this is the new Collins A340 adapter kit. I also got his new transmission mount and ditched the old version, much nicer/cleaner, however it does have the rear of the trans sit a hair lower than the old mount did Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Routed some Power Steering line for the new PS reservoir. Good thing I got my helper cracking the whip. He loves his hoes!

Last edited by Halon; 09-14-16 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 05:31 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome man, nice updates! Can't wait for the bottom end build. How much easier was that trans to mount with the A340 bellhousing?
Old 09-15-16, 05:53 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Significantly easier. I still tilted the motor tho as it makes putting the two top bolts in easier for me

Quick Reply: Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)