Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 06:27 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Well a couple pics after a little more work today.

Installed my old 10" that's been kickin strong since '01. Powered by cheap *** Crunch amp that has been goin strong since '98. Make fun of them not being JL/Kicker/Boston/etc... all you want, but this crap has done me well for a looooong time That amp has been in all of my best friends cars, acting as old faithful when theirs have failed. It's had a hard and abused life, but just won't quit!

I like this setup much better. I actually have trunk space now, and things just seem much cleaner overall. I reused the interior fabric that the guy had in there, but I think I will make a trip to the fabric store to try and clean it up a little nicer someday. The sub actually hits pretty damn good in there. I have it turned up maybe halfway, and am golden! Just needed some clean tasteful bass, not ghetto booty shakin trunk poppin gangsta noise.

Also, a little pic of my temp stereo just laying there, haha. It's sounding great, and filling it's temp role just fine

On a good note, I had a slip from DHL on my door today. They will get it to me tomorrow. It's either the mounting kit, or overnight head unit from Chiyna. I'm hoping is from Chiyhuh!!

Old 10-12-10, 05:02 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Ch cha, ch ch cha Chyynaaa!!!!!

Still waiting on the mounting kit, but got it installed! Went on a test run, so far I'm loving it!! Thanks to my buddy Brown-man for helping with the install

Here it is all packaged up:

Opened it up, and inside what's this?? It's in ENGRISH, SWEET!!!!

Everything looks nice so far...

Wired it in and did a test run and it worked. Bluetooth sycn'd right up to Brownman's phone after maybe 30-40 seconds

Final mounting complete. Going to have to fill that gap below it however. Other than that, pretty much done. Here we are watching GI JOE on DVD !!!

First impressions are, I can't believe this cost less than $300!! 296.00 was my final total. Arrived in less than a week from the motherland herself. GPS worked decent, although we thought the GPS lady's voice was a little bit quiet. The system in general sounds really nice with the sub and everything. I think one of the rear speakers is blown though, but I plan on picking up a new pair of Alpines from my buddy once he can find them.

The user interface seemed decent. Keep in mind that I've never dealt with a touchscreen unit ever. But my impression is that the interface is decent. I'd say 3.5 out of 5 as it does take a little getting used to. But I think with a month of use or so, I'll get the navigation of this unit down much better, and will be closer to a 5. And I guess I kind of assume that'd be the same case with me no matter what unit I got, as I'd have to learn it anyway.

Wiring up was just as easy as any other deck. There is a brake wire to hook to your e-brake which I believe is to disable searching in the GPS unless the car is parked. But there's a menu option within the touchscreen to turn that feature off, so I just didn't hook up that wire, and left the touchscreen option disabled.

Anyone interested in getting something similar to this, I'd say consider these for sure. They aren't for everyone I'm sure, but if you are on a tight budget, this seems like it'd be worth considering w/out a doubt at this point. This seems like a steal! I'm going to play with it for a month, and if I still like it this much after a month, I'll be getting another one for my Envoy!!

Longevity of it, well I guess I can't comment on that as I just installed it. Time will tell if this thing lasts.
Old 10-13-10, 05:01 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Went and picked up something a little more fun from MAP today.

Full Race custom spec turbo:
BW S300SX 84-75

Now it gets to sit on my shelf for a couple months, while I continue to acquire more goodies, haha.

Old 10-14-10, 08:15 AM
kyddo112
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is everything in english on that head unit? even the gps?
Old 10-14-10, 09:28 AM
S142jz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats the link you perchased this from ??
Old 10-14-10, 09:34 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BOOOST baby....i love seeing turbos cant wait till i get mine
Old 10-14-10, 02:23 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Everything is English yes. However yesterday the GPS stopped working, acting like its not receiving a signal. Not sure quite yet what's going on...

The link to where I purchased what, the stereo or turbo? The turbo I bought from a local shop here called MAP, but the turbo came from Full Race. The Stereo I bought off ebay. Just do a search for GPS Head Units. Here's the exact add I bought from:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old 10-16-10, 01:39 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Got the brakes done today. They were pulsating pretty bad so I figured warped rotors. Pulled the rotors off. The pads still look like they have tons of life left so I decided to not change them. The rotors I decided to just get turned as I may eventually run some nicer zinc plated rotors in the future with some better pads. So this was the cheapest option to just get it back on the road for now and make sure everything is better now.

Went up to O'Reillys and they said they'd turn the rears ($10 ea), but not the fronts because they were going to be less than the spec. I asked if they could just do it anyway and they said no. I said ok fine how much for new rotors, they said they'd have to have them delivered here and would be a few days. No can do, so I left my rears there to be turned and went to find somewhere else that'd do the fronts for me. They said it'd take about an hour.

Went to Quality Auto here in Blaine, they said my front rotors were still within spec, and they would turn them for me ($20 ea). Said they'd be done in 45 minutes.

Went back to O'Reilly's an hour later, they said they just got them started so it'd be 15-20 min. Said OK, went and picked up the fronts from the other place. They actually turned out really well. Their lathe somehow actually puts a cross-hatch pattern in them. I was happy with the results, paid and left. Returned to O'Reilly's 30min later, they still weren't done. Waited there for about 10min more and they finally had them done. They looked like typical turned rotors, just normal finish. He ended up not charging me for them since it took so long which was nice of him.

It sounded like the pulsating was probably coming from warped rears as O'Reilly's said they ones they machined were definately warped, while the Quality Auto said the fronts weren't warped at all really.

Anyhow, just got finished installing them. Going to go drive around and bed them in a little bit. Here's some pics! You can see the difference in the quality finish they had. Even though the other place was more expensive ($20 per rotor vs. $10) I would go back there in a heartbeat. The finish seems so much nicer, and much better service in my mind

Car up on jackstands:

Machining on the rears from O'Reilly's

Machining on fronts from Quality Auto

Comparison

Old 10-17-10, 12:49 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice and clean congrats, great work keep it up

Last edited by Joey-E; 10-17-10 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-17-10, 09:02 AM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this must be by far my fav sc on here

so simple and clean

and i do love the jade green, black and white sc's are everywhere

had one just like it

i love it
Old 10-17-10, 04:12 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice I am really tempted to buy the head unit from ebay. Did the GPS start working again ?
Old 10-17-10, 04:40 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, did the newly resurfaced rotors put an end to the vibrations?
Old 10-18-10, 10:00 AM
RjBLayz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car looked exactly like your when I first got it. I've done some mods and i see your enjoying your rjp sc.
Old 10-18-10, 04:48 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Went to DB Performance today and did a few baseline pulls just for comparisons sake in the future. It's basically stock at this point, but with a drop in K&N filter.

Best Pull was 183hp / 173tq

As for the other comments, thanks a bunch to all the kind words. Yup the brake vibrations are gone now so that took care of it. Now that I know the rotors were the cause, over the winter I may go grab a new set of zinc plated rotors for all 4 corners so I don't have rusty rotors anymore. The GPS has not started working again, but haven't been able to really dig into it much. Ended up being a fairly long weekend. If I get it figured out I'll say something. It worked for 1 day then I dunno...
Old 10-20-10, 07:49 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Bought a pair of Kenwood 6.5" speakers to replace the blown rears. Sounds much better now!!

That's about it, nothing too exciting, haha.

Quick Reply: Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)